Hello from Colorado!

steven gauvin

Reaction score
Just joined after lurking for a couple years. Not much of a hunting internet guy. Got burned out on to much information. Anyway, had my first hunt to Africa planned to Namibia for end of May 2020. Doesn't look good with the COVID scare sweeping the world! My PH says Namibia and SA are "closed" to travelers from the US. But we should keep the plan until we hear otherwise. That's what I'm going to do. Curious what folks in that part of the world think will happen in 6 weeks? What are my chances of actually going and getting back? Actually a little surprised NOT to see the discussion on this forum. Maybe I missed it somewhere, honestly didn't dig thoroughly. Maybe the lack of talk is a good sign that the western world has this blown way out of proportion. What is actually happening over there? Who else has cancelled hunts or just waiting???

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Welcome aboard!

Jfet

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
:S Welcome::S Welcome::S Welcome:

Patience and persistence are major factors in a hunt. We are just getting to be better hunters with this delay. (y)(y)(y)

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Welcome aboard Steven. A good many of us have had hunts cancelled. For the moment a wait and see attitude is probably best. I don't know about yours but my crystal ball broke a long time ago. As for me personally I'm trying to get some of my money back. I've read several articles saying that the U.S airlines have to refund the full price of your ticket if other (airline) offerings are unacceptable.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Just joined after lurking for a couple years. Not much of a hunting internet guy. Got burned out on to much information. Anyway, had my first hunt to Africa planned to Namibia for end of May 2020. Doesn't look good with the COVID scare sweeping the world! My PH says Namibia and SA are "closed" to travelers from the US. But we should keep the plan until we hear otherwise. That's what I'm going to do. Curious what folks in that part of the world think will happen in 6 weeks? What are my chances of actually going and getting back? Actually a little surprised NOT to see the discussion on this forum. Maybe I missed it somewhere, honestly didn't dig thoroughly. Maybe the lack of talk is a good sign that the western world has this blown way out of proportion. What is actually happening over there? Who else has cancelled hunts or just waiting???

Searching on AH is not Google for sure.

Before any lock down occurred in South Africa they banned US citizens entry into the country. (The US had taken little action at that point to address COVID-19)

The South African President is currently using a model that expects “peaks of cases” to occur in September.

Read some hunt reports on here to have a better day.

Welcome to AH.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Welcome to the dark side, hope you make it to Namibia for your safari this year. When ever you do make the trek please post a report.

steven gauvin

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Steven. A good many of us have had hunts cancelled. For the moment a wait and see attitude is probably best. I don't know about yours but my crystal ball broke a long time ago. As for me personally I'm trying to get some of my money back. I've read several articles saying that the U.S airlines have to refund the full price of your ticket if other (airline) offerings are unacceptable.
I have yet to buy a ticket. I might this week, and buy insurance at the same time. Or is that simply a waste of money. My crystal ball is also broken. My gut says it aint gonna happen. But I remain hopeful!

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Steven Gauvin, welcome from another Coloradoan! Not looking good for going to Africa this year. I’m watching it to decide whether to push mine till 2021 until late May or early June.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Hi Steven, welcome to AH !

I had planned to go to SA in September, but it seems unlikely, so it´s just wait and see for me.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome to AH!

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hello steven gauvin,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Cheers,
Paul.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Welcome to AH!

Uncle Sauce

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
GOA, RMGO, FRGC, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US: CO, ID, MT, NY, OR, VA, WA, WY
Welcome Steven - Hope you get your trip sorted out!

DillonG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
None
Glad to have you as a member. I had been planning my first trip as well. Traded off one of my rifles to get a .308 just for plains game. My opinion is that 2020 is a wash and there will be a huge spike in hunts for 2021. That will probably not be great for many hunters that haven't booked like myself trying to get a spot.

My next point may be controversial, but I believe there could be a 2-3 year dip in trophy quality at some of the most popular locations. I said could; I'm not married to that opinion if someone with more knowledge can provide a logical rebuttal.

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertaSha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J