Hello from Colorado!

steven gauvin

Reaction score
Just joined after lurking for a couple years. Not much of a hunting internet guy. Got burned out on to much information. Anyway, had my first hunt to Africa planned to Namibia for end of May 2020. Doesn't look good with the COVID scare sweeping the world! My PH says Namibia and SA are "closed" to travelers from the US. But we should keep the plan until we hear otherwise. That's what I'm going to do. Curious what folks in that part of the world think will happen in 6 weeks? What are my chances of actually going and getting back? Actually a little surprised NOT to see the discussion on this forum. Maybe I missed it somewhere, honestly didn't dig thoroughly. Maybe the lack of talk is a good sign that the western world has this blown way out of proportion. What is actually happening over there? Who else has cancelled hunts or just waiting???

Welcome aboard!

:S Welcome::S Welcome::S Welcome:

Patience and persistence are major factors in a hunt. We are just getting to be better hunters with this delay. (y)(y)(y)

Welcome aboard Steven. A good many of us have had hunts cancelled. For the moment a wait and see attitude is probably best. I don't know about yours but my crystal ball broke a long time ago. As for me personally I'm trying to get some of my money back. I've read several articles saying that the U.S airlines have to refund the full price of your ticket if other (airline) offerings are unacceptable.

Just joined after lurking for a couple years. Not much of a hunting internet guy. Got burned out on to much information. Anyway, had my first hunt to Africa planned to Namibia for end of May 2020. Doesn't look good with the COVID scare sweeping the world! My PH says Namibia and SA are "closed" to travelers from the US. But we should keep the plan until we hear otherwise. That's what I'm going to do. Curious what folks in that part of the world think will happen in 6 weeks? What are my chances of actually going and getting back? Actually a little surprised NOT to see the discussion on this forum. Maybe I missed it somewhere, honestly didn't dig thoroughly. Maybe the lack of talk is a good sign that the western world has this blown way out of proportion. What is actually happening over there? Who else has cancelled hunts or just waiting???

Searching on AH is not Google for sure.

Before any lock down occurred in South Africa they banned US citizens entry into the country. (The US had taken little action at that point to address COVID-19)

The South African President is currently using a model that expects “peaks of cases” to occur in September.

Read some hunt reports on here to have a better day.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to the dark side, hope you make it to Namibia for your safari this year. When ever you do make the trek please post a report.

Welcome to AH steven gauvin! Check out the threads @BRICKBURN indicated. Nice to have you join our community.

Welcome aboard Steven. A good many of us have had hunts cancelled. For the moment a wait and see attitude is probably best. I don't know about yours but my crystal ball broke a long time ago. As for me personally I'm trying to get some of my money back. I've read several articles saying that the U.S airlines have to refund the full price of your ticket if other (airline) offerings are unacceptable.
I have yet to buy a ticket. I might this week, and buy insurance at the same time. Or is that simply a waste of money. My crystal ball is also broken. My gut says it aint gonna happen. But I remain hopeful!

Steven Gauvin, welcome from another Coloradoan! Not looking good for going to Africa this year. I’m watching it to decide whether to push mine till 2021 until late May or early June.

Hi Steven, welcome to AH !

I had planned to go to SA in September, but it seems unlikely, so it´s just wait and see for me.

Welcome to AH!

Hello steven gauvin,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Cheers,
Paul.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome Steven - Hope you get your trip sorted out!

Glad to have you as a member. I had been planning my first trip as well. Traded off one of my rifles to get a .308 just for plains game. My opinion is that 2020 is a wash and there will be a huge spike in hunts for 2021. That will probably not be great for many hunters that haven't booked like myself trying to get a spot.

My next point may be controversial, but I believe there could be a 2-3 year dip in trophy quality at some of the most popular locations. I said could; I'm not married to that opinion if someone with more knowledge can provide a logical rebuttal.

Welcome aboard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg