Hello from Bwana Moja. Africa is NOT "The Dark Continent"

I sure hope Bwana comes back and reads this thread! It has taken on a life of its own!
He might come back, but he won't read the replies.

He does not care what we think. It's all about what HE thinks

@Hogpatrol - don't you know it's supposed to be "empty the 'clip'.. LOL
It's best to quote our divine leaders in the house, senate and white house. How can we possibly survive without their vast wisdom of all topics, including guns.

“AR-16 with a long clip” - John Kerry

“A magazine with 100 clips in it” - Joe Biden

“This right here has the ability, with a .30-caliber clip, to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Thirty magazine clip in half a second." - Kevin de Leon (D-NY)

"Kinda scary man" - Joe Biden

"Take your AR, Your AR-14s” - Joe Biden

"I held an AR-15 in my hand, I wish I hadn’t. It is as heavy as 10 boxes that you might be moving. And the bullet that is utilized, a .50 caliber, these kinds of bullets need to be licensed" - Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX)

What could we possibly accomplish without these highly educated, lifetime politicians, telling us what to do and think?

That could be Mr. Marc Watt's loss. This is a public forum and we do not know from what walk of life every reader of this thread is. It could have been a new opportunity...

On surveys, questionaires and other forms where I'm required to enter my heritage, I no longer want to be referred to as "white" or "caucasian". Those are actually racist terms. Being of mixed descent, French and Italian, from this point forward, I will check the "other" box and enter "European American". Let's see how that works.
In light of "wokism" i propose melanin deficient as a politically neutral term haha

I disagree! I believe he is reading the comments. His original post was inflammatory (my opinion) on purpose, as a few others have said. He's either started this little flamefest as a "hey y'all, watch this" for his buddies or (more likely) to elicit specific comments for use in an upcoming article or book. Perhaps both. I'd bet dollars to dounts that an upcoming article references a bunch of "backwards, racist, knuckle-dragging cretins" with specific quotes (probably out of context) from this thread.

I'd love to be charitable and give him the benefit of the doubt. I really hope I'm wrong. Best case, he somehow didn't consider the OP to be inflammatory. Heck, he could be using this thread to test a theory if folks do indeed consider skin pigmentation when referring to The Dark Continent. (They don't.) Worst case, he's trolling for confirming statements for an already-baked idea and we're unwitting accomplices.

It's too bad because he could be a significant net positive to the discourse on AH.

I've read loads of books and articles on Africa - all the classics and then some. Heck, I've watched videos and read articles from the OP (before I knew he was on AH). I've never once considered that the "dark" part of The Dark Continent referred to the color of someone's skin.

I have to disagree on this…@Goose Cracker

I was born in North Africa, and have a French education. In Spain and France we always referred to two different Africas, North Africa, and south of the Sahara Desert, it was Black Africa, and yes, it was because of the skin color of the people living there.

Racist, no, just a fact, and it did not bother the black intellectuals like Leopold Sedar Senghor, a well known poet and writer, member of the the prestigious Academie Francaise, who became President of his country, Senegal.

Mr. Senghor wrote many articles, poems and books about Negritude, which could be translated as “being black”. He wasn´t worried about it, but we are, we fear being labeled as racists, so now we call Black Africa “Subsaharan Africa”

I’m contemplating some type of comprehensive response to our most intelligent new member, but I’ve generally made it a policy to be non-confrontational on this forum. I think this is one of the more kinder welcoming places on the internet. While I contemplate this moral quandary, I’m just going to leave this here.

I had never heard of this gentleman, so I had to do some googling. I found a website selling one of his videos

“ He solidified his legacy as a master hunter and marksman, criss crossing “The Dark Continent” in search of adventures…”

View attachment 484064
This is really narcissistic. This type of hype for a book or article is usually written by the author himself. It’s usually spoon fed to the editor by the author and final copy approved by the author. “Solidifies his legacy as master hunter…”. Wow! I wonder, when does one become a master hunter?? After two safaris? Five? Ten? Twenty? And who decides such things?

Wow! Just wow!

One of the great joys of this forum and an evening around an African camp fire is the chance to meet quietly spoken folk with extraordinary tales to tell from extraordinary lives led

imagine the extra joy of being joined by an absolute know it all

i am reminded of a time when as a young whipper -snapper I visited a friend’s farm

one morning I passed a farm worker and wished him a good morning in rather limited Bemba

to which he replied in the queens English “I am very well thank you”

he certainly put me in my place that day and I’ve never forgotten the embarrassment at my presumption

it reminds me that a little knowledge laced with arrogance is not an attractive trait in anyone

This is really narcissistic. This type of hype for a book or article is usually written by the author himself. It’s usually spoon fed to the editor by the author and final copy approved by the author. “Solidifies his legacy as master hunter…”. Wow! I wonder, when does one become a master hunter?? After two safaris? Five? Ten? Twenty? And who decides such things?
His narcissism is off the charts. I don’t really have a problem with the position that the term dark Africa is outdated. I’m more offended about the fact that this fool thinks he is a hunter. He’s a legend in his own mind.

I was born in North Africa, and have a French education. In Spain and France we always referred to two different Africas, North Africa, and south of the Sahara Desert, it was Black Africa, and yes, it was because of the skin color of the people living there.
Fair enough. As an American living in the UK, I'll note that folks of all colors speak about race differently in Europe than we do in the US.

I'll also note that there was a chapter in Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, & Steel that described his theory of why most of the folks on the continent look like Kenyans, Somalis, or Zambians and not Tunisians or Egyptians.

Really good book, by the way. Somewhat convincingly refuted by Victor Davis Hanson in Carnage and Culture.

Racist, no, just a fact, and it did not bother the black intellectuals like Leopold Sedar Senghor, a well known poet and writer, member of the the prestigious Academie Francaise, who became President of his country, Senegal.

Mr. Senghor wrote many articles, poems and books about Negritude, which could be translated as “being black”. He wasn´t worried about it, but we are, we fear being labeled as racists, so now we call Black Africa “Subsaharan Africa”
Senghor largely accepted the racist European discourse of the time that there were some inherent racial differences (both mental and physical) between the different races. While Europeans of the time mostly portrayed blacks in a negative light, Senghor tried to portray black characteristics in a positive light. Like Africans are biologically/genetically more jovial, more physical etc... But all of this is really pseudo-scientific bullshit. If there were some inherent biological differences between these races then you would not see black professionals living and functioning well in Europe and in Africa itself. Africa's problems largely lay in cultural attitudes, lack of education etc... then in some hard biological difference.

But getting to North Africa what do you propose it be called? Off black Africa? Off white Africa? Partially melanin deficient Africa? MENA ?

1661273629389.png

^ A map from the 1930s, based on the alleged ethnic/ethnolinguistic backgrounds of the people living in African regions (Semitic, Hamitic, and broadly "Negroid").

"Semitic" is roughly accurate; Semitic languages are/were spoken across the Mediterranean coast and down into Ethiopia (and in Egypt but Egyptian isn't one). "Hamitic" is not; there's no such thing as the Hamitic race and it was made up by Europeans to invent why the Berber peoples weren't the same as the Mediterranean coastal peoples or Egyptians, or why they weren't "Negroes" either. Either way, "Semitic" and "Hamitic" are considered "Caucasian" there. And then there's "Negroids". Which... Well... Yes, but also no? Once upon a time, it just meant "people who are not European(-ish) or Asian(-ish) who have 'black' skin". The moronic pseudo-scientific-pseudo-historical "reasoning" at one point was they're descended from some other son of Noah who got cursed by God to have black skin or some such, and there were HEAPS of "This is why black people are super-duper inferior to us glorious whites" bullcrap excuses for "reasoning" that was just made up. (Ever hear of the disease inherent to the Black race that makes them inclined to laziness and want to escape bonded servitude? It was a "real" thing once, not even kidding. Stuff was screwy back then.) Racial? Yes, obviously. Racist? Uh well yeah, if people want to decide that they're better than others based on melanin content and physiological differences, but we still use the same basic stuff for literally every document I've had to sign where it asks for race/ethnicity: "White/Caucasian (including Hispanic/Latino sometimes), Asian, [preferable term for Black], Native/Pacific Islander, Other", usually. There isn't the time, nor do I have the knowledge, to go into a massive discussion of genetics and anthropology and all that, and this isn't really the place for it, either.

In any case, in a nutshell, yep, apparently calling it "Black Africa" based on skin color was indeed a thing through at least the 1930s. That said, I still stand by what I and others have said, that "The Dark Continent" does not purely refer to race (if it does at all). Paddington Bear didn't hail from "Inca-est Peru"; he hailed from "Darkest Peru" because his particular home in the jungle was all-but-unknown to anyone but marmalade-loving bears, apparently. Most if not all people on this site are going to say "Dark Continent" in that respect, if they say it at all. Doesn't bother me none (but I'm also the white descendant of white colonizers and am a Southerner in the US, so I'm already a bad guy for that, y'know? What's a little more Imperialism on top of that? :p)

I don't know the OP. I reckon he might've meant well, I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt and see the best intentions when I can, but it backfired and came off badly for him. Or he was trying to stir up the pot. Unless he comes back, couldn't say. Anyway, I wanted to share the map and say a little of my mind on it and that's all I've got for now.

To me there is a very big difference between referring to Sub-Saharan as "Black Africa" and the phrase "The Dark Continent"

"The Dark Continent" was in my mind referring to the mystery of the place and to the fact that it was bush/jungle covered for most of the area south of the Sahara ....much like we call the area on the South Dakota/Wyoming border "The Black Hills" ...because they are so covered in Pine Trees that from a distance....wait for it....the hills look black.

I don't even find the term "Black Africa" to be racist as much as it was just a factual way of describing that the inhabitents of the area south of the Sahara were black. It was a fact.. The inhabitants were black.

Anybody that was proposing theories of Blacks being inferior or whites superior.....THAT you can call racist.

Just noting that the people in the southern 2/3 of Africa were black....I see that as a factual description of the people that were living there not some terrible racist thing

Senghor largely accepted the racist European discourse of the time that there were some inherent racial differences (both mental and physical) between the different races. While Europeans of the time mostly portrayed blacks in a negative light, Senghor tried to portray black characteristics in a positive light. Like Africans are biologically/genetically more jovial, more physical etc... But all of this is really pseudo-scientific bullshit. If there were some inherent biological differences between these races then you would not see black professionals living and functioning well in Europe and in Africa itself. Africa's problems largely lay in cultural attitudes, lack of education etc... then in some hard biological difference.

But getting to North Africa what do you propose it be called? Off black Africa? Off white Africa? Partially melanin deficient Africa? MENA ?

Nothing to propose, as I´m not trying to start an argument/discussion, I was just referring to a fact, a historical fact.

By the way I never mentioned "races", as there is only the human race, we might consider "ethnicites", which may difficult to define, as most human groups/tribes have intermingled over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross