Hello from Bwana Moja. Africa is NOT "The Dark Continent"

I just discovered this thread and it sickened me.

Marc, you are a total narcissist, and your higher-than-thou, preachy, condescending tone to all of us little people is revolting. Yeah, "Been there done that." Disgraceful!

And because you are an African American, you seemingly feel justified and entitled to spewing your WOKE nonsense here. EVERYTHING nowadays has a "Racial Overtone" it is inflammatory and divisive.
It is obvious what the implications of your writing are. Leave your politics out of it and stick to hunting please

There are people here who have killed WAY more game than you have in Africa, so don't let the Bwana MOJO nonsense go to your head.
You aren't impressing anyone here with your bragging.

What is even more disturbing is the ass-kissing replies that you received here regarding your OP. You do have a few sycophant followers here but don't let it go to your head, since you most likely turned off many here who would have followed you.

My advice to you would be to get off your high horse, lose the chip on your shoulder, and don't think that you are better than anyone else here.

PS: the fact that you are African-American gives you no moral high ground, or the right to lecture any of us here

You might want to lose the Cowboy Hat too it looks ridiculous on you

Last edited:

Marc, you are a total narcissist, and your higher-than-thou, preachy, condescending tone to all of us little people is revolting. Yeah, "Been there done that." Disgraceful!

And because you are an African American, you seemingly feel justified and entitled to spewing your WOKE nonsense here. EVERYTHING nowadays has a "Racial Overtone" to it and it is outrageous.
The "Dark" in "The Dark Continent" meant "Unknown," and had nothing to do with the color of the skin of Africa's people....what an idiotic thing to say! Knock it off....it is inflammatory and divisive to those of us who love Africa as you do.

There are people here who have killed WAY more game than you have in Africa, so don't let the Bwana MOJO nonsense go to your head.

What is even more disturbing is the ass-kissing replies that you received here regarding your OP. You do have a few sycophant followers here but don't let it go to your head, since you most likely turned off many here who would have followed you.

My advice to you would be to get off your high horse, lose the chip on your shoulder, and don't think that you are better than anyone else here.

PS: the fact that you are African-American gives you no moral high ground, or the right to lecture any of us here

Amen brother!!

And because you are an African American, you seemingly feel justified and entitled to spewing your WOKE nonsense here. EVERYTHING nowadays has a "Racial Overtone" it is inflammatory and divisive.
It is obvious what the implications of your writing are. Leave your politics out of it and stick to hunting please

Shakka, Great reply. I guess I'm one of those who replied to his post (but NOT ass kissing) with an initial positive note. I had read a couple of his articles in the SCI magazine and they were interesting but had an air of "you can't do this as well as I can" which had me scratching my head. So in the future regardless of which rag prints his stories I'll pass and find a better level of entertainment to enjoy. I've hunted Africa 5 times now but it doesn't make mine the final word on the subject. Hell fire, I'm so ignorant that until recently I thought an equation was a native of Ecuador.

Well said

Shakka, Great reply. I guess I'm one of those who replied to his post (but NOT ass kissing) with an initial positive note. I had read a couple of his articles in the SCI magazine and they were interesting but had an air of "you can't do this as well as I can" which had me scratching my head. So in the future regardless of which rag prints his stories I'll pass and find a better level of entertainment to enjoy. I've hunted Africa 5 times now but it doesn't make mine the final word on the subject. Hell fire, I'm so ignorant that until recently I thought an equation was a native of Ecuador.
I find most of the articles (and ads) in the SCI magazine to be ... how should I put it ... pompous? A fella at the trap club recently also gave me several of his copies of the Boone & Crocket magazine. Quite a difference!

I am also quite certain the term "Dark Continent" in its original context referred to the land not the people. "Continent" is, after all, land. In its historical context, had the intention have been to connect the phrase to the people it would have been "Darky Continent" or simply "Nigger Continent." I agree, the original post was nothing more than woke bullshit. As a historian I have no use or patience with phony politically correct revisionist-for-the sake-of-revisioning crap.

I find most of the articles (and ads) in the SCI magazine to be ... how should I put it ... pompous? A fella at the trap club recently also gave me several of his copies of the Boone & Crocket magazine. Quite a difference!

I am also quite certain the term "Dark Continent" in its original context referred to the land not the people. "Continent" is, after all, land. In its historical context, had the intention have been to connect the phrase to the people it would have been "Darky Continent" or simply "Nigger Continent." I agree, the original post was nothing more than woke bullshit. As a historian I have no use or patience with phony politically correct revisionist-for-the sake-of-revisioning crap.
Well, we were all really just waiting for someone to drop the N-word, and I just earned fifty bucks on correctly guessing who it was ($$$!)
Jokes aside, ‘Dark Continent’ would have never nudged me towards ideas of racial superiority, but damn the OP gives
It very feeble legs (I kid, I kid)

Noticed that was kinda laying on the dance floor like a wet blanket.:oops:

The original poster has not posted in over a year.
I don't think he got the response he was looking for and buggered off to stew in his self-superiority lol. Perhaps decrying how we racist folks on here would dare not espouse him as the greatest authority on the subject.

Ah well. His loss, not ours, I think.

another passer-by on the forum....

I just wish I was called Bwana MOJO...probably means terrible shot, but I would like it.
I’ve been debating on whether to post this, but it’s too good not to.

Bwana Moja got his name on his Zambian safari where he claims the ph and trackers were so impressed with his shooting(which he conflates as being a good hunter), that they called him Bwana Moja which he claims means “one shot”.

In a strange twist of fate I hunted with the same PH and presumably some of the same trackers a year or two before Mr. Watts became an African hunting legend in his own mind.

I was 13 years old. I was mature for my age, super safe with firearms, and generally the kind of kid you would want to hunt with if you were going to hunt DG with a kid. Although I shot shotguns competitively at the time, I was still really learning the art of shooting in the big game context. In hindsight I was ill prepared and a little practice at home pre trip would have gone a long way.

Despite my limitations, I made a good showing on the shooting front in large part by recognizing my limitations. I made one shot kills on all my plains game. I didn’t miss or wound any animals. I made one excellent shot on a charging buff on a follow up in the long grass.

At some point after a few decent shots, guess what they started to call me???? That’s right, I was Bwana Moja. I was the original one shot Bwana(unless of course this is the type of flattery they heaped upon many paying clients). Now, even as a child I realized they were just trying to pump my ego a little bit, and that I was not god’s gift to African hunting. I really never thought much about it. When I came across this thread last year I did some searching and got a big laugh at reading Bwana Moja’s remarkably familiar origin story.

I would suspect that shooting jackals and ground hogs with 375 would result in one shot kills. And probably you wouldn't need premium ammo, either. (y)

Greetings to All,

I might know a handful of the good women and men who contribute to this forum. I met Jerome a few years back. He gave me a really cool hat and it blew off my head when I was taking a helicopter ride hovering above the Okavango Delta.

I might chime in from time to time. I'm here to read more than write. Someone had written somewhere on one of these forums that I had exited hunting and had become anti 2A. That was trash. Some chump trying to take a shot at me. Wasn't the first time.

I'm a world record lesser kudu and bongo away, from just about everything I'm after on the big continent. I'm doing alot more writing for SCI publications and elsewhere, than hunting now. That's for sure. I guess I reached that point where there's really...not that much else to take. I'm still deeply embedded in Africa, flying over periodically to go hang out with my African friends. If there's really something splendid I'll chase it. Been chasing a 17-18 foot croc forever now. Passed on a few 16-footers. I believe there's a 60" LDE lurking, if I can ever get back into C.A.R.. I'd pay a pretty penny to go after Giant Sable in Angola, if it ever reopened, to benefit conservation.

My love affair with that continent has laid the foundation for my affinity for writing about African safaris and animals. I try to write intelligent pieces. Stuff that other writers don't write. Stuff that you don't even know. I'm not good at writing the same ole stuff everyone else does. I write to make the hunting community smarter, and to enable you to come home in one piece and shoot just one shot. Not doing any filming anymore or video production.

One pet peeve I'll share with you all, and this is mirrored by all my Africa friends who share the same skin tone as me. Please stop referring to that continent as "The Dark Continent." There's nothing about Africa that's dark anymore. That's a colonial days term. It's dated, disrespectful and portrays you as out of touch. We're trying hard on this side of the world to revolt against any acts of neo-colonialism. That above-referenced moniker was placed on that part of the world by people living outside of Africa. It's high time to do away with it. I know you might think it has such a good ring to it. But it doesn't. It's a cuss word.

That's all for now.
Asante,
Moja

View attachment 482439
If you’ve ever looked at any photos of the earth from space at night- Africa IS the dark continent. There is less light emanating from there than any other continent on earth.
IMG_0947.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.