Hello from Bayou Country

cajunchefray

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hi gents just joined the best forum on my dream of hunting Africa.
I'm booked for Limpopo but postponed for some back issues.
Interests: Big bore rifles, Doubles, reloading, history.
Traveled twice to RSA in late 90's for work, never time to hunt.
Thanks to all of you for sharing so much knowledge about doubles, as well as " on the ground, real world" info of Africa.
Charles Ray

Hi Charles, welcome to AH !

Welcome aboard Charles. AH is without a doubt the best place to get knowledgeable answers to any and all questions related to hunting in Africa. What kind and caliber rifles do you currently own? What additional rifles and calibers are you considering?

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard Charles. AH is without a doubt the best place to get knowledgeable answers to any and all questions related to hunting in Africa. What kind and caliber rifles do you currently own? What additional rifles and calibers are you considering?
Thanks for he welcome!
Currently I own:

-Winchester 70 Alaskan .375 H&H , current production, who a Leupold 2-7VX-R with he German #4 . Love the illuminated dot, has improved my shooting greatly. Next up I'm going to test out a Swarovski Habicht 1.25-4x24 with the illuminated circle German #4.

-Ruger Magnum Rifle in 375 H&H, haven't shot it, I'm planning to sell this one, but damn it has nice wood!

- Ruger #1 in 450/400 with Leupold FX-II 4x. Sweet with 300 grain Hornady but a handful with the 400 grain loads.

-Sabatti 450/400- still sorting this out. It's a Cabelas model but unground muzzles. I can't see the V notch rear well (I wear trifocals), so I'm trying a peep sight. It shot to the sights, decently at 40 yards when I got it 5 years ago, but now shoots high and right. Maybe the new Hornady ammo I read about here, so I'm going to try me original reload with VN-165 with Hornady softs. If not, I will try Cal Pappas load with IMR-4831 that he mentioned in the recent Sabatti thread, just have to get that powder.

-Whitworth 458 Winchester- this fits me perfect and shoots to the sights with both 500 grain loads but I enjoy it with 73 grains of Varget and the Woodleigh 400 grain soft. Shoots to the sights as well at 50, need to test it at 100 yards with a scope.

- Ruger Magnum in 458 Lott, only shot a few times with the above 458WIN 400 grain loads, again shot to the sights at 50.
Need to get it bedded before shooting any Lott loads as I've read that stocks can split easily wth those. Well balanced and the right weight for the Ruger Magnum

- CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. Two shots of Kynoch factory 535 loads convinced me to load to 500 Nitro specs. Defined my recoil limits with the Kynoch, I still have the other 3 rounds!
I load Woodleigh 570 around 2150.
A big push instead of a sharp punch.

Thanks for your interest
Charles

Welcome, Chef Charles. I spent about 22 years in The Bayou State. Which parish in Louisiana are you located?Favorite recipe? Thanks, TheGrayRider.

Welcome, Chef Charles. I spent about 22 years in The Bayou State. Which parish in Louisiana are you located?Favorite recipe? Thanks, TheGrayRider.
I'm currently in Tangipahoa, near Ponchatoula, but from Acadia parish, town of Church Point.

I love Crawfish Etouffee!

I'm currently in Tangipahoa, near Ponchatoula, but from Acadia parish, town of Church Point.

I love Crawfish Etouffee!

Born in Orleans Parish, grew up in St. Mary Parish, educated in East Baton Rouge Parish, and my wife is from Washington Parish.

Favorite Louisiana dish is Pastalaya with fried catfish and white beans as a side. Close second is a Turducken stuffed with shrimp dressing, covered with dark-gravy. Geaux Tigers!

Welcome to AH Charles! Nice to have you join the conversation.

Giday and welcome to the A H forums Charles

Welcome to AH.
I hope your back recovers quickly and you get on with your hunting trip.

Welcome to AH sir!

Welcome to AH Charles. Sounds like you have some great guns for Africa. Now you just have to get your behind over there!

Welcome to AH, Charles!

Welcome to AH Charles!

Welcome to our forum Charles. Hope your back heals up fast and you can get on to Africa!

Several folks here from south of I-10. I was born in Thibodaux and grew up in Lake Charles. I don’t know if it truly is God’s country, but I am sure he eats there!

Welcome aboard and Geaux Tigers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg