Have any of you guys seen or hunted with Air bows before?

Wayne t

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BDS
Hunted
U.K. Croatia
Hiya guys
Never really thought of using a bow to hunt before I like my rifles too much or just too lazy I supose . So the question is have any of you guys seen or hunted with one of these air bows before ? I had a play with one couple of days ago and very impressed I supose because it was just like shooting a bulpup rifle it's got me thinking about one so interested to see comments on these if you've used one before please guys
Thanks
Wayne

I have never even seen one.

I think it will be a while before one hunts with them. They are very expensive here in South Africa

I have only seen them on tv. I think ads with Jim Shockey during his shows. Seems like it would have the same capabilities of a typical crossbow but I'm not sure of velocities. I support whatever a hunter wants to do but this doesn't really interest me.

It looks like they are still fairly new. Saw Jim Shockey hunt with one and saw another show a week or two ago and I'm sorry to say I don't remember who was using one. If I remember correctly they were talking 500 fps with a crossbow bolt. Pretty fast. Would likely help with "jumping the string". Should be deadly inside of 75 yards or so if consistent accuracy is good. Not sure how far it will go, but it is interesting. Bruce

If they shoot arrows, they will be deadly, but they certainly are not archery equipment. Crossbows have been around for a long time and not many archery guys use those either. If I have a rifle hunter who wants to hunt with me, I would recommend a crossbow, but that is just to keep the game from getting spooked.

I am sure some people would like to use these, but I am not one of them. I won't oppose them, but I think they should have to wait until rifle season or maybe muzzleloader season - they certainly should not be out hunting during archery season in the USA with them.

I recall a past thread about this.
According to Alaska regulations if it doesn't use limbs for the propulsion it's not a bow at all.
This is basically a pneumatic bolt gun. Effective, but not archery equipment by any means no matter what name it's given.

One of my hunting buddies has one. He used it last year to take a whitetail. They are loud, but the velocity they generate on the arrows is amazing. Not my cup of tea, but an interesting toy.

Not a bow at all. Not interesting at all to me. Crossbows are bad enough, this new contraption is even worse.

Hi guys
Thanks for all of your comments on this one like I said I just found it an interesting idea after trying my mates the other day
Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg