Have any of you guys seen or hunted with Air bows before?

Wayne t

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BDS
Hunted
U.K. Croatia
Hiya guys
Never really thought of using a bow to hunt before I like my rifles too much or just too lazy I supose . So the question is have any of you guys seen or hunted with one of these air bows before ? I had a play with one couple of days ago and very impressed I supose because it was just like shooting a bulpup rifle it's got me thinking about one so interested to see comments on these if you've used one before please guys
Thanks
Wayne

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I have never even seen one.

Leon123

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa
I think it will be a while before one hunts with them. They are very expensive here in South Africa

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
I have only seen them on tv. I think ads with Jim Shockey during his shows. Seems like it would have the same capabilities of a typical crossbow but I'm not sure of velocities. I support whatever a hunter wants to do but this doesn't really interest me.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
It looks like they are still fairly new. Saw Jim Shockey hunt with one and saw another show a week or two ago and I'm sorry to say I don't remember who was using one. If I remember correctly they were talking 500 fps with a crossbow bolt. Pretty fast. Would likely help with "jumping the string". Should be deadly inside of 75 yards or so if consistent accuracy is good. Not sure how far it will go, but it is interesting. Bruce

mrpoindexter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NFAA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE, California
If they shoot arrows, they will be deadly, but they certainly are not archery equipment. Crossbows have been around for a long time and not many archery guys use those either. If I have a rifle hunter who wants to hunt with me, I would recommend a crossbow, but that is just to keep the game from getting spooked.

I am sure some people would like to use these, but I am not one of them. I won't oppose them, but I think they should have to wait until rifle season or maybe muzzleloader season - they certainly should not be out hunting during archery season in the USA with them.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I recall a past thread about this.
According to Alaska regulations if it doesn't use limbs for the propulsion it's not a bow at all.
This is basically a pneumatic bolt gun. Effective, but not archery equipment by any means no matter what name it's given.

Patton63

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
One of my hunting buddies has one. He used it last year to take a whitetail. They are loud, but the velocity they generate on the arrows is amazing. Not my cup of tea, but an interesting toy.

TOM

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
Not a bow at all. Not interesting at all to me. Crossbows are bad enough, this new contraption is even worse.

Wayne t

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BDS
Hunted
U.K. Croatia
Hi guys
Thanks for all of your comments on this one like I said I just found it an interesting idea after trying my mates the other day
Wayne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DemetraCor

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J