Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
If you were thinking this was a thread about....

you're wrong, but I couldn't help think of this old song when I read something somewhere about Hammer Bullets: https://hammerbullets.com/about-us/

Not sure where I heard about these, but I looked them up and they seem interesting. I like the design of their Shock Hammer with a larger hollow point that I'm thinking may be more reliable in expanding than the Barnes TSX. I need another new bullet to work with like I need a new hole in my head, but it's been awhile since I've done any new load development and there's a .30-06 in the safe now that will change that soon.

So just wondered if any of our AH members have any experience with these?

These are the only monos that have my interest, I don't like how normal mono bullets work, they say the penetrate better but I see so many guys finding the bullet under the hide in barnes/ hdy monos.
I like how the hammer open and shead the pedals, they hit all kinds of things in the Vitals. Then the base still penetrates and most I've seen exist.

I wanted to try the hammers this year but life happened so I'll shot for next season. I'd like to try them in my 6.5 prc and my 7wsm which is restricted on col in the mag, I did exchange many e-mails with the one owner months ago and got a idea on what to try.

The first place I've heard of hammer bullets was here back when I was not a member here.

Last edited:
Quite a bit of info on another forum. I'll send you a DM
Bruce

I used them last fall on a number of animals. They performed perfectly. 6.5 PRC with the 124gr Hammer Hunter, ADG brass and RL-26. Very fast, very accurate, and they were as easy to load as any bullet in the past. I have nothing but praise for the product and owners.

I'm shooting the 220 Hammer Hunter in my 35 Whelen. Very accurate bullet and extremely easy load work up. I'm shooting them in an 1885 Highwall with 28" barrel and getting an average of 2911 FPS velocity.

200 yards

20211013_150342.jpg

20211012_163442.jpg

Mine are in the mail. There is an Aussie distributor.

I've read a lot on these on the other forum.

Mostly good.

I used them on safari this year taking everything from sable and waterbuck down to impala and springbok. Mine were in 9.3x62 weight was 258gr going 2590fps or thereabouts.
I have no real problems with performance. all animals died on the spot or very close except for the waterbuck and if we hadn’t pursued him so quickly, he would have died after one shot because he laid down after running 100+\- yds and his buddies kept on going. I will say that I thought I would get more pass throughs it only a few of my 12 animals presented broadside shots. Brush can potentially clog the hollow point preventing expansion. I think if I took the 9.3x62 back to Africa I may drop to the 240gr shock hammer to get more speed and increase the stability of the shank once the petals shed.
A8FFEAFE-0996-4430-9738-86A567012F7F.jpeg
7B00D936-1EA9-40F7-963D-1FA9682E6001.jpeg
436CE8A8-2D03-4680-8346-3F54F41E97A2.jpeg

I have not used any of the cutting edge bullets. The thing that drew me to hammer was how easy they were to load accurate and consistent loads. My 9.3x62 has a very thin barrel and would always throw the 3rd shot with Accubond, ttsx’s, and partitions. It was never consistent enough to give me the confidence I need. First Steve at hammer listened to my needs and wants and this was the first 9.3mm bullet they ever designed. They delivered them and in less than 19 shots I was shooting just over 1” at 200yds with 3 shots.
As far as mechanical wounding they are similar to the cutting edge bullets, the exterior design makes them very forgiving to load develop which is not something I’ve heard about cutting edge bullets.

Are they basically the same as a Cutting Edge Maximus?
They do appear similar. Their patent is on the ornamental design, which is a little different. They are pricier than the CEB Maximus. Curious to see whom has used both extensively to see their thoughts.

Awesome pics, 112Savage. Where did you take those beautiful animals, and with which outfitter, if you don't mind a fellow Virginian asking? :)

These are the only monos that have my interest, I don't like how normal mono bullets work, they say the penetrate better but I see so many guys finding the bullet under the hide in barnes/ hdy monos.
I like how the hammer open and shead the pedals, they hit all kinds of things in the Vitals. Then the base still penetrates and most I've seen exist.

I wanted to try the hammers this year but life happened so I'll shot for next season. I'd like to try them in my 6.5 prc and my 7wsm which is restricted on col in the mag, I did exchange many e-mails with the one owner months ago and got a idea on what to try.

The first place I've heard of hammer bullets was here back when I was not a member here.

Been looking at these as a possibility for my 280 AI. I emailed them for loading data, and their response back was not Barnes, as I expected, but Nosler and Speer data.

The one real potential gotcha on these is their length. Make sure your rifle has a fast enough twist to stabilize the bullet you've chosen. My 280 AI will do fine with any 175 gr .284 bullet, but the heaviest Hammer I could stabilize is about 145 gr, and 131 gr Hammer Hunter looks like a better choice yet.

Been looking at these as a possibility for my 280 AI. I emailed them for loading data, and their response back was not Barnes, as I expected, but Nosler and Speer data.

The one real potential gotcha on these is their length. Make sure your rifle has a fast enough twist to stabilize the bullet you've chosen. My 280 AI will do fine with any 175 gr .284 bullet, but the heaviest Hammer I could stabilize is about 145 gr, and 131 gr Hammer Hunter looks like a better choice yet.
I like fast twist barrels and mine is a 10 twist. I used Speer data

I am doing load development with Hammer bullets right now. I'm loading 110gn HH in 6.5Wby RPM and 198gn HH in 8mm Rem Mag. So far it looks promising. Hammer lists recommended twist rates for each of their bullets and it seems a lot of people recommend crimping.

Thanks Phil, I will not be able to get that stupid hood rat song out of my head now and will be pissing off people in the office with my rendition! Interesting bullet though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross