DLSJR

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, South Africa, Tanzania
I saw news on an other forum where Guy Whittall, owner of Humani in the Save Valley Conservancy, was mauled badly by a leopard. He is scheduled for surgery tomorrow but they expect he’ll be OK and should recover. A dog they were using to track the cat was also mauled and with a veterinarian. More details as they come to light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leopards are tough. Sorry to hear this. Wishing him a full and speedy recovery!
Bruce

Wish him all the best !

I just got a WhatsApp message from one of the other Zim PH’s. Sounds like Guy will be fine after recovering and healing. He lost a lot of blood from a huge claw laceration that pretty much covered the length of his skull on top. Another PH who was there, I do not know who, shot the leopard off the top of Guy.

I‘ve been sent a picture of his head today while they were working on him and it’s gruesome. I’m guessing it’ll take 75 stitches or so to properly close it up. He’s gonna have a scar that’d make Frankenstein envious.

Bottom line is he and the dog are expected to recover fully.

leopards are so quick and can turn your day upside down in a split second. hope for a quick recovery. i only saw two in the wild in africa and was not hunting them.

Speedy Recovery. Glad it sounds like he will be ok

That's rough. Hope he recovers well.
I've seen photos, and read stories in the past about Humani. Sounds like a very nice area to hunt, with a great lodge.

Glad to hear both he and the dog will be ok! This one will make for a neat story around the campfire.

Saw pictures and video the other day from a different Zim PH. Said he’s gonna have a long road ahead and they watching for an infection.

From the pictures/video I saw, the Leopard fared much worse than Guy …. Wasn’t a terribly big cat, but he was there through the end. Wishing Guy a quick a speedy recovery

First off i never thought Guy would ever get nailed. He is always so careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting text below of what I received of the incident.

Hi Gents , Guy was desperate to join Cliffs cat club .

Client wounded the cat last night at 9:30 we followed for 1 1/2 hours but blood had stopped after 80 m . (High shoulder shot )I got Guy in to help , we pumped fairly quickly about 400 m from were we had left last night . He ran and we were then able to track in the mopani scrub . Guy was moving slightly ahead of us with his anti poaching dog and handler ( only about 15 yards ahead ) cat game he shot twice , I ran up and managed to shoot it off him . It actullay never bit him but did put a 5’ scratch in his head , a small one above his eye and one on his arm .

Took him to hippo valley clinic and they were excellent in cleaning everything up and stabilizing him . Then he was air lifted to Harare

Sorry to hear about this. It's too bad they got a bit separated but probably didn't make any difference. Leopard are lightning fast.

Client wounded the cat last night at 9:30 we followed for 1 1/2 hours but blood had stopped after 80 m . (High shoulder shot )I got Guy in to help , we pumped fairly quickly about 400 m from were we had left last night . He ran and we were then able to track in the mopani scrub . Guy was moving slightly ahead of us with his anti poaching dog and handler ( only about 15 yards ahead ) cat game he shot twice , I ran up and managed to shoot it off him . It actullay never bit him but did put a 5’ scratch in his head , a small one above his eye and one on his arm .

Took him to hippo valley clinic and they were excellent in cleaning everything up and stabilizing him . Then he was air lifted to Harare
Same email I was sent. Only missing piece is, I have no idea who the other PH is. Nothing I saw identified him.

And the Dog? Sorry I have always treated them as fam too!

Further update from Guy below looks like all is good and he is on the mend.

Howzit buggers still a bit groggy and thanks for all the kind thoughts and messages.
I just come out of Theatre in Milton Park Hospital and good news from the surgeon here is that Doctor James Mangwisi at Hippo Valley Clinic did a fantastic job. I Will Be here another day or 2 while Doctors monitor the wounds and any possible infection.
A big thanks to Wayne Grant and his client in administering first aid to get me to Chiredzi. Especially after Brent ripped off his shirt to wrap around my head. There was obviously a lot of shirt to work with

Chikara my anti poaching attack dog for attacking the cat after It rolled me and preventing a round 2 attack.
Brent Hein (ph) experience , composure and putting his own life on the line with the 2 shots under difficult circumstances with his 10 bore shot gun.
Brent thanks also for the keeping the banter going all the way to hippo clinic and ensuring I did not lose consciousness.
Vikus Jane and Nick Coetzee, as always come to the party in a crisis for the Whittall family! and the chiredzi community ever so helpful in keeping Hannah and the family well informed.
Nick Coetzee for driving Chikara my anti poaching dog up to visit the vets, to you all thank you so much - I am so grateful - big hugs to you all . Guy .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greattemple

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.