Greetings from the UK!

Am I required to hold a valid FAC (Fire Arms Certificate) in the UK to be able to rent Firearms from an outfitter in Africa?
As per my experience, in Namiba. No.

But... the skill to use rifle is essential. You can not expect that without any formal training and experience, to place accurate shot up to 200 meters, in field conditions, to game animal vital zone. You have to ask honestly yourself, are you able to hit what you aim for, standing, from the stick?
Have you ever fired a high powered rifle, at range?

General rule is, if you spill the blood, you will spill the money. Wound an animal, and lose it, pay the fee.

Another, there have been few horror stories, when clients came, with new rifle, which they never fired.
My advice, do not go that route.

I understand ammunition and Firearm rental won't be cheap, but this wouldn't be an issue providing I had the opportunity to practice with it.

Rental of rifle depends from outfitter, to outfitter. It can be for free, or free rifle, pay for ammo spent, or 20 to 50 usd, per rifle per day. In any case, price is not astronomical.
But rifle practice is must. Your skill with rifle is must!
In reality, first day on arrival to hunting camp, you will go to the range. It is standard that all outfitters keep.
For experienced hunters, it takes only one or two shots, to confirm the rifle, and their skill in the eye of PH.
In your case, clarify this point with your PH.
For example, 2 day training, 50 centerfire cartridges, or 100 cartridges for training, etc... I think, it is possible, but not common. So this must be clarified with outfitter. In such case, you dont go to heavy duty stalking, and shoot from african sticks, my advice would be shooting from blind, on a tree stand, near waterhole, at distance less then 100 meters, with rifle at good steady rest.

There is one thread on this forum, preparation for safari.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-safari-preparation-timeline.14375/

Plan a year in advance. At least.
But two years in your case would be more realistic.
While reasearching various options deals, and offers, join shooting club in UK.
Make focus on high power rifle training, or basics with 22lr rifle.
It will be a year well spent.

O BTW welcome to the forum!

WizzyH, welcome to the AH forum! If no firearm, maybe you could get a pellet rifle? The same trigger pull, sighting can be related to a firearm. I use one in my basement in snowy weather here in Colorado, USA. I find trigger time with anything can transfer to a firearm. Just my experience.
Best of luck and we’ll be waiting for your first Africa adventure!
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I actually have 2 air rifles; A .177 for shooting birds (mainly pest pigeons) and a .22 for other small game such as rabbits and squirrels.

I am fairly proficient and safe in the use of both.

Obviously an air rifle is much less dangerous than a high powered rifle, however, I feel it is still best practice to treat any kind of weapon with respect and always use it in a safe manner. Having said that - an air rifle certainly isn't a toy!

As a side note: any air rifle that generates a muzzle energy over 12ft/lbs is considered a Firearm and requires a FAC here in the UK.

As per my experience, in Namiba. No.

But... the skill to use rifle is essential. You can not expect that without any formal training and experience, to place accurate shot up to 200 meters, in field conditions, to game animal vital zone. You have to ask honestly yourself, are you able to hit what you aim for, standing, from the stick?
Have you ever fired a high powered rifle, at range?

General rule is, if you spill the blood, you will spill the money. Wound an animal, and lose it, pay the fee.

Another, there have been few horror stories, when clients came, with new rifle, which they never fired.
My advice, do not go that route.

Rental of rifle depends from outfitter, to outfitter. It can be for free, or free rifle, pay for ammo spent, or 20 to 50 usd, per rifle per day. In any case, price is not astronomical.
But rifle practice is must. Your skill with rifle is must!
In reality, first day on arrival to hunting camp, you will go to the range. It is standard that all outfitters keep.
For experienced hunters, it takes only one or two shots, to confirm the rifle, and their skill in the eye of PH.
In your case, clarify this point with your PH.
For example, 2 day training, 50 centerfire cartridges, or 100 cartridges for training, etc... I think, it is possible, but not common. So this must be clarified with outfitter. In such case, you dont go to heavy duty stalking, and shoot from african sticks, my advice would be shooting from blind, on a tree stand, near waterhole, at distance less then 100 meters, with rifle at good steady rest.

There is one thread on this forum, preparation for safari.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-safari-preparation-timeline.14375/

Plan a year in advance. At least.
But two years in your case would be more realistic.
While reasearching various options deals, and offers, join shooting club in UK.
Make focus on high power rifle training, or basics with 22lr rifle.
It will be a year well spent.

O BTW welcome to the forum!

I'd like to say a massive thank you for such an in-depth and informative reply to my question!

I think a sensible course of action in my case would be to find someone who is willing to let me shoot various different rifles with different calibres so I can get a feel for the different recoils etc. I would cover the cost of ammunition and pay them for their time of course.

I think the next logical step would be to book a Deer Stalking trip in Scotland (or any other country in which I have the opportunity to take medium sized game). This would give me further practice in using a Firearm to kill a medium sized animal and not just shooting targets. It would also give me experience with the use of shooting sticks and various other things that shooting at paper targets cannot achieve.

I will definitely be thorough in the planning of a trip to Africa as there are so many different things to consider.
As I have said in a separate post above, it is not feasible for me to take a trip to Africa for the next year at least, so I can use the time constructively as I have outlined above.

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated!

All the best.

Last edited:
I know that in UK, the gun laws are strict. But there is also UK shooting and hunting community, despite that.
Here on forum, there are number of members from UK, I beleive they can even assist you to find some local shooting club, or range where you can become member, and have training.
Start separate thread on that subject.

Later edit.
Now, with my modest expereince in hunting, my estimate is that annualy, my average is at least 100 center fire cartridges fired at paper target, against one shot fired in real hunt. 22lr shots not included in that count. If I may say, less then that is shortcutting. and for a begginer should be a higher count.
Breath control, trigger control, rifle handling, different field positions, safety, start developing muscle memory, scope and iron sights, are different things, also, etc... trigger time for a begginer is neccesary!!!
The point is, the basic investement here is time, and only second investement is money.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard WizzyH. Given the firearms restrictions you have to live with I think you are on the right track in developing some prowess with a high powered rifle. After a short time you will come to "know" some of the AH members that live in England. I'm betting that to a man they will assist you in every manner possible. Find out who lives the closest to you by sending each of them a Private Message (through AH) and ask for a mutually acceptable range date and or other face to face opportunities. Where there is a will, there is a way. Your use of an air rifle and a 22 is all relevant. The only difference is a louder bang and stouter recoil.

You wont need any certification as such, but some proficiency with a rifle will be quickly apparent.
Being able to hit an A4 target at 100m or a 6 inch gong at 50m have been the extent of any checks I have ever had at a game farm.
Negotiate a box or two of rounds and spend a few hours getting to know the rifle to get comfortable before hunting is a good idea.

My apologies for being a bit late in doing so, but welcome to AH @WizzyH!

Welcome to AH WizzyH. Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting!

@WizzyH firstly, welcome. This is a great forum for learning about hunting in general, and Africa especially, have fun!

With regards to your position, I really would consider getting an FAC sorted. I accept that there is a bit of faff involved, and a degree of cost, but it's totally worth it if you want to hunt regularly with a rifle in the future.

We're talking maybe £200 all in for a basic cabinet and the application fees, 4 passport photos and a 4 page application form. It's not a great hardship, and in return you get to have all the joys of your own kit. Load development, practice, familiarity, fine tuning it to suit you... All the confidence that brings will make you a better shooter, a better hunter and more able to enjoy your hunt. It also allows the oppurtunity to shoot and practice in the UK, and may get you some hunting oppurtunities in the UK as well (there's more about than you think, from pest control right through to deer and wild boar).

I applied for mine about 5 years ago and haven't regretted it a bit.

I also notice you're in Yorkshire. Bad luck. That said, there is a fantastic range complex not that far from you called Diggle (google diggle ranges and you'll find it). THey offer all kinds of shooting, both target stuff out to 1000 and also a range of 'practical' disciplines like running boar competitions, sporting rifle shoots and precision rifle which are excellent practice for the hunter. Decent bunch of guys as well!

It might be worth popping over for a look at some point, and membership there is an excellent reason fro an FAC application...

Enjoy the forum,
Al.

@WizzyH firstly, welcome. This is a great forum for learning about hunting in general, and Africa especially, have fun!

With regards to your position, I really would consider getting an FAC sorted. I accept that there is a bit of faff involved, and a degree of cost, but it's totally worth it if you want to hunt regularly with a rifle in the future.

We're talking maybe £200 all in for a basic cabinet and the application fees, 4 passport photos and a 4 page application form. It's not a great hardship, and in return you get to have all the joys of your own kit. Load development, practice, familiarity, fine tuning it to suit you... All the confidence that brings will make you a better shooter, a better hunter and more able to enjoy your hunt. It also allows the oppurtunity to shoot and practice in the UK, and may get you some hunting oppurtunities in the UK as well (there's more about than you think, from pest control right through to deer and wild boar).

I applied for mine about 5 years ago and haven't regretted it a bit.

I also notice you're in Yorkshire. Bad luck. That said, there is a fantastic range complex not that far from you called Diggle (google diggle ranges and you'll find it). THey offer all kinds of shooting, both target stuff out to 1000 and also a range of 'practical' disciplines like running boar competitions, sporting rifle shoots and precision rifle which are excellent practice for the hunter. Decent bunch of guys as well!

It might be worth popping over for a look at some point, and membership there is an excellent reason fro an FAC application...

Enjoy the forum,
Al.

Thank you for your in-depth reply and the suggestions.

Unfortunately, applying for my FAC has hit another stumbling block in the form of my girlfriend. I was giving the idea of applying for my FAC some serious consideration the other day and happened to mention it to her. She proceeded to explain (insist) that under no circumstances will I be able to keep any form of shotgun or firearm in the house while we have young children (we are a young family).

She is not anti-hunting or anti-firearm and doesn't mind me taking game with my air rifle (we eat a lot of rabbit and squirrel) - I tried to explain it is completely safe and there is nothing to worry about as it will be securely locked up and she knows I am responsible. However, her reasoning is not an issue of safety, it is due to the sharp increase in firearm/knife crime that is happening in the UK at the moment and her not wanting our home to become a target for criminals.

ETA: There may also be an issue with my current landlord not wanting a gun-safe bolted to the house.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross