Got the CZ blues

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Bought a CZ 550 458 Lott last week. Loaded up the magazine today and..... 100% failure to feed every time. Will not feed Hornady 500 gr solids, the only ammo the gun shop had. I'll try another type of ammo but I'm not hopeful. I had a 550 in 416 Rigby and it worked perfectly out of the box. Honestly I'm not mad or surprised, kind of expected this result. It will get fixed but, the itch I had to scratch was to finally shoot the Lott. Had to see what the recoil was like for myself, it wasn't bad. John
Not altogether suprising, but still disappointing I'm sure, John. The problem is that each of these large bores has a different cartridge dimension and bullet size. One-size-fits-all feed ramps are not a winning plan. A good gunsmith would surely get it working perfect with every type of ammo if you handed him 5 different brands of dummy rounds and turned him loose on it. In defense of your Rigby, its an easy-feeding cartridge shape, just as the 375HH is. The 458 Lott is bulky and has a big bullet in relation to neck. It needs an hour or two of time with a gunsmith to feed well.

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Bought a CZ 550 458 Lott last week. Loaded up the magazine today and..... 100% failure to feed every time. Will not feed Hornady 500 gr solids, the only ammo the gun shop had. I'll try another type of ammo but I'm not hopeful. I had a 550 in 416 Rigby and it worked perfectly out of the box. Honestly I'm not mad or surprised, kind of expected this result. It will get fixed but, the itch I had to scratch was to finally shoot the Lott. Had to see what the recoil was like for myself, it wasn't bad. John
Scope it and make sure it will zero with a scope before you go and do alot of work on it. I found out this the hard way. Still trying to get this issue resolved. Zeroing with a scope is a known issue with the Lott and 416 Rigby I found out.

John J

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Copy that gentleman. The scope zero situation is news to me.

John J

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
She's nothing fancy, but she's mine. I had a wood stocked CZ in 416 Rigby that I don't think fit me to well. Recoil was terrible and the rifle was to heavy. Thus my reason for trying the synthetic on the 458, so far I'm happy, less the feeding issue. Here is my 14 year old son shooting it today. Till now the largest caliber he has fired is 450/400 NE. He can handle the 500 MDM which is on par with the Lott recoil. John
Snapchat-681961789.jpg
Snapchat-1713242277.jpg
Screenshot_20200913-112817_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200913-112857_Video Player.jpg

machinistbutler

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
That's great, I put a bell and Carlson on mine before I fired it. Recoil was ok with the loads I had and the nosler factory. You do have to hang on, but I expected more of a beating. Off the bench it wouldn't be pleasant .

Earle

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
Waiting for the B&C i ordered a month or so ago as well. It's going on my older 416Rigby. Had to order it special as my older 550 only has the single recoil lug. If i like it i may well order another for my new 458. It has the bavarian (hump back) same as the older 416

Earle

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
Well guy's, i feel a little sheepish. Got a call from the gun shop today and went in a had a chat. After a rather long discussion it was decided the best, easiest and most cost effective route was a simple ream out to a Lott. I've nothing against a Lott, just always been drawn to the WM, sorta like the underdog or poor relation. Anyway it's kind of a win/win situation. The work is going to cost less, feeding issues will be rectified, ammo costs will decrease and one can not argue that the Lott is superior cartridge. Probably should have gone with the Lott to start with. LOL.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Why does kimber only offer their caprivi in 375? Seems like the market isn't very strong for the big calibers . Does anyone make a 416 Rigby in an affordable package?
The Caprivi was offered in 375H&H, 416RM and 458LOTT.
It may have been offered in other calibers as well but I'm not sure.
Now it only the 375H&H for the Caprivi.
The Kimber Talkeetna is a stainless/synthetic version of the Caprivi.

As for your 416RIGBY question...
You need to clarify what exactly is "affordable" to you.
There are some Dakota 76's and Heym's available on GI for $5K-$10K.
Also, Sako made some Brown Bears in 416RIGBY.

Do a search on GunsInternational.com

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Well guy's, i feel a little sheepish. Got a call from the gun shop today and went in a had a chat. After a rather long discussion it was decided the best, easiest and most cost effective route was a simple ream out to a Lott. I've nothing against a Lott, just always been drawn to the WM, sorta like the underdog or poor relation. Anyway it's kind of a win/win situation. The work is going to cost less, feeding issues will be rectified, ammo costs will decrease and one can not argue that the Lott is superior cartridge. Probably should have gone with the Lott to start with. LOL.
I did exactly the same with my win mag. I agree 100% with your gunshop's advice. I studied the problem for a long time and I think you have made the right call. The CZ action is large and that short win mag round just has too much space. The Lott straightens out the feed and mine even feeds a bullet that has been put in the case backwards-full calibre flat nose.

I am also happy with the Lott as a cartridge. Handloading with 515 gr solids, I have managed to get up to 2345 fps but have settled on 2200 to 2250 fps depending on which powder I use. It is noticeably more recoil than a win mag with 480 gr @2145 but still manageable.

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hi y'all. Hope i'm posting in the right section. Got a brand new 550 chambered in 458wm that i took to the range for the first time Monday. Immediate woe's. As can be seen in the pics, it does not like 450g bullets. Jams every time. I know a lot of you guy's have extensive experience with CZs and hope someone has some suggestions. Try 500g bullets? Take it to a "smith"? Call CZ? Give up and buy a M70 (LOL). Any thots will be appreciated as i am at a loss on how to proceed. My 416Rigby operates flawlessly and it's a 550. Go figure.

View attachment 365935View attachment 365936View attachment 365937
I’m not an expert on this but I do have a little experience with feeding issues I converted a 98 Mauser to 404 Jeffery and did all the work myself and after a few hours of tweaking a new magazine and grinding polishing a action it all came together and I understood what Mr Mauser had engineered and how it worked.
I know that this is a CZ 550 and that it’s not a Mauser but as far as I know it’s supposed to be a controlled feed Mauser style action and the jam in that position is looking like a jam in a push feed. What I’m seeing there is the cartridge should at that point in the bolt stroke be locked in the bolt face and lined up with the chamber. When I was working my feed rails to get proper feeding when I hit the sweet spot the cartridge just pops up into the bolt face after a very short push and the sweat spot is very small.005-.010 take it two far and new problems start. What I’m trying to get at is this looks to me as a feed rail issue in the area of the back of the action the longer 500s would have more leverage quicker and are able to overcome what is holding it from jumping up into bolt face. And it doesn’t take much to get things out of time. Feel for bur or rough spot on underside of rails a bur on bottom of the bolt face that could cause it to slow the cartridge down as it slides up the face I’m not telling you to get out the grinder and start grinding but to feel for anything that would grab the case and prevent it from slipping up the bolt face. Also inspect the jammed brass for scratches on the body or belt or even the case head where it slides up. Just a little bit of information that could save time and $$.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings