Good books?

PAGuardian

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, Congo, Mexico, Canada, USA
I've been doing a little more leisurely reading lately and its time to order a few new books. I just finished "Heart of an African Hunter" by Peter Flack. What books have you guys and gals enjoyed?

I've enjoyed my way through 5 or 6 of Peter Capstick's books over the past few months. Robert Rourke's Horn of the Hunter was also very good. I'm currently struggling through Teddy Roosevelt's African Game Trails. I just can't seem to get into it.

I've been doing a little more leisurely reading lately and its time to order a few new books. I just finished "Heart of an African Hunter" by Peter Flack. What books have you guys and gals enjoyed?
Some great books by Peter Hathaway Capstick are " Death In the Long Grass, " Death In the Dark Continent ", " Death In a Lonely Land ", and " Last Horizons". Another GREAT book is Hunter by John A. Hunter.

I just finished "Where the lions roar" writen by C.Boddington. Its a very good and informative book that gives you a lot. Now I want to buy another books from Boddington and also want to get the collection of Tony Sanchez Arino

I have read all Capstick books, amazing reads, and books on Indian Hunting which r world famous namely Jim Corbett "The Man-eaters of Kumaon" and Kenneth Andersons "When the tiger roars" exquiste books depicting the hunters experiences in taking the man-eating tigers in Northen and Southern India. Rouarkes Horn of the Hunter was a great read too.

I always re-read before to go to RSA: "The Safari Companion" by Richard D.Estes.

As described " A guide to Watching African Mammals".

William

I appreciate you all keeping this thread alive. I am rereading the few titles I have (pretty much Hemingway) but am really trying to expand my library's hunting/ natural history selection. AH members have been a big help in identification and prioritization. Material of interest to me seems to be increasingly hard to find.

Here are a couple of my favorites
Screenshot_20230526-212700.jpg
Screenshot_20230526-213011.jpg

I actually have the audio and not the book. I listened to it on my 1000 mile drives to East Texas to visit my family. Very interesting history with lots of well known hunters, actors, PHes, etc.

I also enjoy Dr Kevin Robertson’s books…”Perfect Shot”, as well as his specifically focused on Cape buffalo. Not stories, but solid technical info on game, where to shoot, bullets, and cartridges for specific game.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 7.25.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 7.25.12 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
I actually have the audio and not the book. I listened to it on my 1000 mile drives to East Texas to visit my family. Very interesting history with lots of well known hunters, actors, PHes, etc.

I also enjoy Dr Kevin Robertson’s books…”Perfect Shot”, as well as his specifically focused on Cape buffalo. Not stories, but solid technical info on game, where to shoot, bullets, and cartridges for specific game.
Just downloaded the audio version of "white hunters" last night for the same reasons. Seems like a good one for a long drive.

I tend not to read many novels, mostly history and reference type materials like "Perfect Shot" that I too appreciated.

African Hunting:
1) Ndlovu: The Art Of Hunting The African Elephant- Richard Harland
2) Ballistics In Perspective- Mike LaGrange
3) Memoirs Of An African Hunter- Terry Irwin
4) The Perfect Shot- Doctor Kevin Robertson
5) Fear No Death- Mark Sullivan
6) All of Tony Sanchez Arino’s books
7) The Saga Of Wally Johnson- Peter Hathway Capstick
8) All of Karamojo Bell’s books
9) White Hunters- Brian Herne
10) The Man Eaters Of Tsavo- Colonel Henry Patterson

Bengali Hunting:
1) Shikar In The Days Gone By- Governor Gauhar Ayub Khan
2) The Man Eaters Of The Sundarbans- Tahawar Ali Khan
3) With The Wild Animals Of Bengal- IGF Yousuf Salauddin Ahmad (my predecessor)

Indian Hunting:
1) Man Eaters & Wildlife Challenges- Nawab Shifath Ali Khan
2) One Man & A Thousand Tigers- Colonel Kesri Singh
3) All of Jim Corbett’s books
4) Forests Of The Night- Jack Denton Scott

Vietnamese Hunting:
1) I killed For A Living- Ettienne Oggerei
2) Asian Jungle African Bush- Colonel Charles Askins

Malaysian Hunting:
1) The Tigers of Trengganu- Colonel Arthur Locke
2) Hutan Rimba- Charles Shuttleworth

Looks like some great books to mine! Now we Just need to find some on European game/ history resources. I am on the lookout for some good fallow deer / Hungary/ Romanian texts myself...

Tall Tales by buzz charleton
It Shouldn’t Happen by Kevin Robertson
Morning Shadows Evening Sun by B. Fitzpatrick
The Hunting Game by Kevin Thomas
Augusts in Africa by T. McIntyre

There are infinitely more in the books section here, but those are newer titles and authors if you are interested. Still easy to locate copies of them

I've been working on a work of fiction for the last few years. Takes place in Africa in the early 1900s. Stay tuned. I'll notify you all hear when I publish on Amazon/KDP

White Hunters. By Brian herne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.