Full body mounts

im doing my male lion, not sure where it will go when done

Last edited by a moderator:
Some trophies just scream to be full body mounts. For me it is Leopard, Brown bear, Wolf, Mountain Lion, Lion. Bushpig, and yes, LDE. My croc is full flat skin. Most of the tiny ten could make that list, I think for most people it is about space and $$

If I had the space & $$$$, it would be Bongo, Nyala, Leopard, Lion, Brown Bear, Cougar. No tiny ten for me, wife would kill me, but she is ok me hunting everything else. LOL!!!!

Have some of the tiny 10, Porcupine, Honey badger, the small cats, having my Leopard done. So far that is the ones I have as full mounts. My wife wants a lesser kudu, if we get the opportunity that will be a full mount. I would also full mount a cougar and a mountain grizzly.

I do not have any full body mounts, nor do I have much in the way of space right now. Heck, the tiny ten might look GARGANTUAN in my house. :ROFLMAO: As I consider the question, I'm not even all that sure what I would want if I DID have space and money. Africa - Warthog maybe? Kudu? Pie in the sky... lion? Closer to home... I have always liked the look of a well done caribou, with hard brown antlers.

For my whole life I have dreamed of having a memory room, bought this place 18 months ago, recently completed my dream and added 1000 ft room, 11 ft walls and 16ft cathedral ceiling. I am already worried because room seams to have gotten smaller after I put in my 3 life size grizz, one life size of each, wolf, leopard, ant bear, and dik dik. Will have my trophies from this Aug safari to add when I complete. Lion, civet, genet, hyrax, will all be life size. Had to choose so nyala, sable will be pedestals and croc as floor rug with replica head and real skull displayed.

Life size take up lots of room, not to think of mounting costs, my buddy says imagine putting in a 3 seater couch for every life size mount when organizing space and its true. But life size mounts do add a whole wow factor to a room.

If you have the space I say go for it. Nyala are beautiful and make an awesome life size mount.

MB

If I had unlimited space and had a good amount of money this is my basic criteria of what I would want full body mounted
-predators (bears, cats, canines, etc)
- anything under 50ish pounds
- anything that costs over 30k to hunt
- capra and ovis species
- anything that was a hard hunt or I find the animal inherently beautiful, like nyala
Some may overlap but these are some things to think about. These are all opinions and I feel like if you want an animal to be a full body doesn't matter if it is a squirrel or an elephant, if you have the money and space might as well do it.

Brown bear, tiny ten in mind, for full mounth. Plus birds and small prey.

This is off topic a little bit... I am much more a hunter than an angler, though at one time the reverse was true. As I have gotten older I have tried to hunt more and I have fished less. Be that as it may, I used to have a fish taxidermy business on the side. Despite being a fish taxidermist, I don't have a single freaking fish on my wall. How does that happen? If I ever have an expanded area (the wife and I have discussed an addition to the house) I would very much like a handful of fish I have fond memories of: some really large grayling (over 20"), spawning Dollies... a high 30s (inches) spawning king I caught on a 4.5 foot pack rod and 6 pound line, while trying to catch grayling... a well colored 25" rainbow... a high 20s (inches) spawning silver that is representative of an abundance of such silvers through the years... several mid to high 40s pike. All that to say, if I have the money and have the space someday I might have a full body mount or two though really I'm more of a shoulder mount sort. But I'd like to have a few well done fish too.

Not a very good photo... This is a pike (fiberglass reproduction) I did for a client from NC about 15 years ago. Someday... some of my own on my own wall.

Pike-%20darker.jpg

had one of my baboons mounted. I did not want to scare my grandkids so I did not have an open mouth
Seams I may have forgot a few life size mounts. You mean like this? Gets lots of Wow's, not all good. Baboon taxidermy was done in Africa?? Jaw, eyes. Now do my own and no more in Africa, D&P only.

MB

thumbnail_image0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I've no interest in hunting lions I will say nothing does one justice like a full body mount. Same goes for bongo, though I would hunt one if my budget allowed. Aoudad look great in a full body, showing off those goatlike chaps and mane.

Otherwise, the closest I come to one is a half body nyala that is angles out of the wall. I wanted to show off some stripe and it's light forelegs without taking up quite as much space as a full mount.

@Tundra Tiger there's a full body kudu in Wasilla's Sportsmans Warehouse next time you're through there. Very well done, but it definitely reminds you how big one is and how much room one of those takes up. And it is amazing how few fish are mounted. I have a few great fish memories, not a single mount. Though I did do a few gyotaku prints for a while including my biggest king salmon.

@Ryan, do you have picture of your Nyala on the wall?

I caught & released a 375 Lbs blue marlin. Biggest fish I caught on a rod and reel. 2 3/4 hrs later I was worn out, but brought the fish to the side of the boat, oh and without the use of a chair. We took measurements, and wanted to have a full mount, but it was way out of my price range at that time. Wished I had kept those measurements. :E Crying::E Crying:

@PARA45 If you have photos, any good fish guy should be able to get you real close on measurements, if those are no longer available. (y)

@MarkB This is not said to demean your baboon mount in any way - or baboons as a whole for that matter, but I swear what I see is a Biden cabinet member trying to defend the Build Back Better plan, what's happening on the Southern border, or why Virginia's election went the way it did. :unsure:

TT, thanks. We never took the fish out of the water, I do have pictures of the fish as we removed the hook and revived him. It was a big fish, and even with the high ceilings of my house, this thing would look massive. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If I ever kill the “perfect bushbuck” great hair and good horns. All of the ones I have taken so far (3) have had good horns but like me are a little lacking in the hair department. To Tundra Tiger i wish could afford a reproduction of a167 pound yellowfin tuna caught 100 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico in 8 foot seas, quite a battle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.