Full body mounts

For my whole life I have dreamed of having a memory room, bought this place 18 months ago, recently completed my dream and added 1000 ft room, 11 ft walls and 16ft cathedral ceiling. I am already worried because room seams to have gotten smaller after I put in my 3 life size grizz, one life size of each, wolf, leopard, ant bear, and dik dik. Will have my trophies from this Aug safari to add when I complete. Lion, civet, genet, hyrax, will all be life size. Had to choose so nyala, sable will be pedestals and croc as floor rug with replica head and real skull displayed.

Life size take up lots of room, not to think of mounting costs, my buddy says imagine putting in a 3 seater couch for every life size mount when organizing space and its true. But life size mounts do add a whole wow factor to a room.

If you have the space I say go for it. Nyala are beautiful and make an awesome life size mount.

MB
pics my friend.....

My list if I could afford it:
Bongo, Bongo, Bongo, Nyala, Lion, Leopard, LDE (yes, I know it’s huge), Sitatunga, Harnessed Bushbuck, oh and Bongo.
given the opportunity to hunt one I think the bongo would be the only other full body I would do...

8284FA82-31F0-4C29-9913-F1EC2C2E75CF.jpeg
Probably the prettiest full-body mount of a trophy I have ever seen in person. Northeastern Nevada Museum, Elko, NV.

@Ryan, do you have picture of your Nyala on the wall?

@PARA45
Here you go. Work done by Relive Taxidermy out of Port Elizabeth. My idea is based on a drawing of a kudu in a book I have. He did another angled half nyala I recall that he posted on FB in a slightly different pose you may want to look up. And interestingly there is a Lord Derby eland at Afton Safari Lodge done angled with one leg. I think there's a picture of that on their site.
20211108_124311.jpg

@MarkB This is not said to demean your baboon mount in any way - or baboons as a whole for that matter, but I swear what I see is a Biden cabinet member trying to defend the Build Back Better plan, what's happening on the Southern border, or why Virginia's election went the way it did. :unsure:
And all this time I figured its an exact example of our not Canadian dictator when he does not get his way. You know when he charges across the house floor to physically force/beat other members to sit down, or when he cant coerce women to do what he wants. The mamba snake skin on floor is more a reflection of our Trudope.

Baboon is the new reflection of worlds libtards/demtards. Poor insult to baboon race.

MB
pics my friend.....
thumbnail_image0.jpg

Still have lots to do, room is not done but a work in progress, lights need to be positioned, more heads for wall to put up. Missing a worthy elk?? Have an adjacent "living" room that is being finished as a pre memory room warm up. Fir boards on floor are shelves and will have log uprights (still drying), with angled shelves for skulls. All takes time.

MB

And all this time I figured its an exact example of our not Canadian dictator when he does not get his way. You know when he charges across the house floor to physically force/beat other members to sit down, or when he cant coerce women to do what he wants. The mamba snake skin on floor is more a reflection of our Trudope.

Baboon is the new reflection of worlds libtards/demtards. Poor insult to baboon race.

MB

View attachment 435606

Still have lots to do, room is not done but a work in progress, lights need to be positioned, more heads for wall to put up. Missing a worthy elk?? Have an adjacent "living" room that is being finished as a pre memory room warm up. Fir boards on floor are shelves and will have log uprights (still drying), with angled shelves for skulls. All takes time.

MB
Very nice.....wow!

I have a 10'4 brown bear,8'6 russian bear, black bear, lion, leopard,nyala,mid-asian ibex life size. Hope to get my Bongo in may, it definetly will be life-size if I connect!

The only thing I’ve full mounted so far was the black bear I got a couple years ago because I doubt I’ll find one much bigger (425 lbs) in my area. Also the season is at a really bad time for me so I’m not sure if or when I’ll get to go again. My bride actually pushed for a full mount after seeing a couple of examples. I’m a lucky guy. ;)

8ACCEE0F-2BF8-460B-ABBD-85F2AB38C38A.jpeg

4AC2F34E-F8E2-4D32-917E-275E56683D45.jpeg

I currently have a lifesize Steenbok and Springbok, with a Bushpig in the freezer still to come. I'll hopefully add a hog deer next year. I don't want too many more.

I just finished an Alaskan moose lifesize for a client...now that consumes some real estate!!

I’ve been a little fanatical in my hunting for the last 20 years, 200+ African trophies, and 100+ North American.

I have 0 full body mounts, 4 shoulder bushbuck mounts, 1 Nyala shoulder mount, 1 LDE shoulder mount, and 1 savana Buffalo shoulder mount.

Pretty much everything is a European mount or mounted plaques. Or better yet pictures, memories and meat.

I’d rather hunt more and have fewer taxidermy pieces. I can’t get excited for “representative” taxidermy trophies, every now and then one is such a magnificent hunt it’s worth memorializing but most are better off as meat, memories and pictures. If you manage to take a truly magnificent animal, then go ahead and mount it. I just can’t look at another average blesbok, heartebeast, wildebeest, etc.

It’s like participation trophies in sports …. Respect and enjoy the game but not everything belongs on the wall.

I’ve been a little fanatical in my hunting for the last 20 years, 200+ African trophies, and 100+ North American.

I have 0 full body mounts, 4 shoulder bushbuck mounts, 1 Nyala shoulder mount, 1 LDE shoulder mount, and 1 savana Buffalo shoulder mount.

Pretty much everything is a European mount or mounted plaques. Or better yet pictures, memories and meat.

I’d rather hunt more and have fewer taxidermy pieces. I can’t get excited for “representative” taxidermy trophies, every now and then one is such a magnificent hunt it’s worth memorializing but most are better off as meat, memories and pictures. If you manage to take a truly magnificent animal, then go ahead and mount it. I just can’t look at another average blesbok, heartebeast, wildebeest, etc.

It’s like participation trophies in sports …. Respect and enjoy the game but not everything belongs on the wall.

I'll respectfully disagree....
Why keep killing representative trophies then? If it's good enough for me to hunt and kill, it's good enough to go on my wall. My trophies are a memory of a hunt, an animal, an adventure and a place in time. That's what I remember when I look at them, not a score or measurement.
Each to their own.

I have a few lifesizes around.

nyala1.jpg

0Y2A9030.JPG
0Y2A8974.JPG
blacy.jpg

I have others like honey badger etc also. Thinking a life size Zebra may be in order.

Last edited:
Only 1 so far, Rocky Mountain Bighorn. Took 18 years to draw the tag. Did the hunt solo. Just an amazing animal and hunt. Unfortunately, my house is not really big enough and has too many live animals running around, so the sheep lives in front of the gun counter on top of a display case in Sportsman's Warehouse in the Springs. But I get to visit when I'm in town. I made the base for him out of AZ mesquite and old fence posts.
20211106_185413.jpg

IMGP0311.JPG
GOPR0158-2.jpg

If I count fish and birds I currently have 10 life size plus 2 half mounts. I also have my Toklat Brown Bear, Mountain Lion. African Civet, and Caracal at the taxidermist being mounted life size.
One of my first life size mounts was this Pheasant that lives in the corner of my bar in my Trophy Room...
heaKpdcl.jpg

My fish mounts include my largest Northern Pike and Grayling...
jwYqORGl.jpg

My other bird mount is this Wood Duck, which beside being beautiful birds they're not real plentiful in Montana...
8K0Oz02l.jpg

Moving on to my critters, I shot this Wolverine in the Northwest Territories while packing out my Dall ram...
3eNQbxGl.jpg

My Cape Grysbok...
S6mc7gIl.jpg

My Himalayan Tahr from New Zealand...
74qRMZCl.jpg

My West Texas Aoudad...
yM0OWLSl.jpg

My Mozambique Leopard...
iQWOXJsl.jpg

And my Northern Canada Musk Ox...
E61CCJvl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I hunt because I love it and I “have” to. The hunt is what’s most important, memories of the hunt, the experience, the meat, the trophies are mostly reminders. I don’t collect and find it boring to have rooms full of “things”. A really special hunt or truly exceptional animal is interesting and maybe even art but other then that ….

I remember trick or treating as a kid in my mom's bosses neighborhood. We lived in the country so you had to head to town for high volume candy grabbing. One door opened and there were mounts everywhere. Turned out the guy was a taxidermist. What stuck out to me was the full body giraffe in his entryway. He had it set up where you walked by the head when on the second floor catwalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindi9161

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.