Free range hunting

BooneAK

Reaction score
I’m not looking for a debate, but I am categorically opposed to hunting animals in any kind of fencing at all, full stop. I’ve read a bit on this topic on this forum and have gathered that the following countries are the best places for hunting without fences:
Tanzania
Zimbabwe
Mozambique
Zambia
Namibia
Are there any other countries that should be added to this list, please? What animals am I most likely to be able to hunt in these and any other fenceless areas, please? Thank you, in advance, for your knowledge and replies.

I’m not looking for a debate, but I am categorically opposed to hunting animals in any kind of fencing at all, full stop. I’ve read a bit on this topic on this forum and have gathered that the following countries are the best places for hunting without fences:
Tanzania
Zimbabwe
Mozambique
Zambia
Namibia
Are there any other countries that should be added to this list, please? What animals am I most likely to be able to hunt in these and any other fenceless areas, please? Thank you, in advance, for your knowledge and replies.
Sounds like you already have it all figured out.

Kinda depends on what your hunting as well.

Manchuria, Formosa, Mongolia?

I apologize for not being clear. I mean other countries in Africa, and what species there. Thx.

Are there any other countries that should be added to this list, please?

South Africa is the only one where fencing is legally required.

So answer is, all other countries in Africa, except RSA where hunting is allowed, may be of interest to you.
List of the huntable countires is on the forum (Hunting info by country).

Botswana, Ethiopia and Uganda come to mind, to add to your list.

Species to hunt.
On the thread hunting infro by country, there is a list of game animals.
That is for your preliminary check.
For better info, you will have to ask a PH or outfitter in country of your choice.

FInally, fences, and list of animals is not the only consideration.
Security, and political situation is another part when choosing a country. Not all countries are welcoming foreign western tourists. For example, CAR, today would be a dangerous country to travel.

Are you a hunter?..............FWB

Namibia, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe all have fenced areas that can be hunted. Some of these areas are the most spectacular game hunting you will find. These areas are all created and supported by local laws. So, RSA is not alone.

Several Central African countries have no fences but do have the added joy of you being hunted yourself.

Your previous research should have been able to provide some initial lists of species in various countries. If not, look at one outfitters price list in the country of choice and voila!

Enjoy your continued research.

Black rifles would be very hard, to impossible to import in any African country for a hunter, civilian.

There was a report about attack on one of our forum members here on the forum.

And I think, for somebody who came to Africa to hunt, in that situation, the only proper course of action is to run as fast as possible. And not even go to risky area in the first place.

Returning fire to some organised hostile paramilitary unit, armed with automatic weapons and everything else, strong in numbers, familiar with local terrain, and probably mobile, would not be a smart move, for a hunter and PH armed with max up to two bolt action rifles, and usual supply of average up to ten hunting cartridges each..

South Africa is the only one where fencing is legally required.

So answer is, all other countries in Africa, except RSA where hunting is allowed, may be of interest to you.
List of the huntable countires is on the forum (Hunting info by country).

Botswana, Ethiopia and Uganda come to mind, to add to your list.

Species to hunt.
On the thread hunting infro by country, there is a list of game animals.
That is for your preliminary check.
For better info, you will have to ask a PH or outfitter in country of your choice.

FInally, fences, and list of animals is not the only consideration.
Security, and political situation is another part when choosing a country. Not all countries are welcoming foreign western tourists. For example, CAR, today would be a dangerous country to travel.

Just a note on this, Fencing is not a legal requirement in SA just good business sense as keeps some folks out & keeps some animals in the area but it also adds to you hunting season as if unfenced game animal hunting is restricted to the Nature Conservation/Government hunting seasons !

If fenced you can apply for Exemption Certificate or Certificate of Adequate Enclosure .

It's very broad spectrum question as I'm sure you have realized by now, but other important aspects to consider would be your budget as some of your Northern African countries are more expensive to hunt and travel. Also game movement on those areas, game movement could be affected by various factors like season, rain or drought periods to name a few. In Africa fences are also a part of conservation (I'm referring to big areas and reserves and national parks outside of SA) So don't be afraid to ask around for different outfitters and do your homework thoroughly. Regarding your list of animals, above there has been mentioned a couple of places to start working out what you want at the end of the day.

Good luck with your planning and hope you end up having the experience of a lifetime!! Come and enjoy Africa!

Black rifles would be very hard, to impossible to import in any African country for a hunter, civilian.

There was a report about attack on one of our forum members here on the forum.

And I think, for somebody who came to Africa to hunt, in that situation, the only proper course of action is to run as fast as possible. And not even go to risky area in the first place.

Returning fire to some organised hostile paramilitary unit, armed with automatic weapons and everything else, strong in numbers, familiar with local terrain, and probably mobile, would not be a smart move, for a hunter and PH armed with max up to two bolt action rifles, and usual supply of average up to ten hunting cartridges each..

Oh I'm not sure on this either bud, as you never know any where what might happen & more so in Africa, my buddy had big problems with Muslim Militants on a hunt after Tur in the Caucasus Mt, a couple of years back in Moz raiders were hitting hunting camps & head officer made contact with the PH to give him a heads up & he was ready when they tried, he & the hunter/hunters open fire on them with their hunting rifles & it stopped real fast, most of these guys like to hit soft targets as not tremendously brave .

In SA it is not hard to have a Black (or Green) Rifle or two if you are local & get the proper licensing but as you say I don't think any where you can bring your own, unless your Mad Mike lol !

Just a note on this, Fencing is not a legal requirement in SA just good business sense as keeps some folks out & keeps some animals in the area but it also adds to you hunting season as if unfenced game animal hunting is restricted to the Nature Conservation/Government hunting seasons !
Game theft act 1991.

We were discussing this on another thread, then I made a note in my laptop.I wll qoute from this forum, I thinh then was posted by member One day. I think, so I will qoute as follows:

QOUTE
South Africa Game Theft Act of 1991 is the main law that deals with wildlife ownership in South Africa.

In a fundamental departure from most modern states where wildlife is owned and managed by the State, South Africa allows individual ownership and management of wildlife provided the land owner receives a Certificates of Adequate Enclosure (CAE).

High fencing is therefore a legal requirement in order to retain ownership of the game.

The requirements for enclosure are legally defined and vary depending on the type of animals considered.

Each Province has it owns regulation but there is a lot of commonality between the regulations. For example, the Eastern Cape Department of Economic Development and Environmental Affairs (DEDEA) enacted in 2008 an Operational Guidelines of the Chief Directorate of Environmental Affairs 2008: Certificate of Adequate Enclosure & Dangerous Game Fencing Specifications. The Western Cape has a 2014 Policy on Fencing and Enclosure of Game, Predators and Dangerous Animals in the Western Cape Province (see attached).

In the 2014 Policy on Fencing and Enclosure of Game, Predators and Dangerous Animals in the Western Cape Province animals are distributed in six classes and some sub classes, with different enclosure requirements.

For example:
1620198347666.png

Policy on Fencing and Enclosure of Game, Predators and Dangerous Animals in the Western Cape Province (p. 9)

1620198379317.png

Policy on Fencing and Enclosure of Game, Predators and Dangerous Animals in the Western Cape Province (p. 10)

1620198404139.png

Policy on Fencing and Enclosure of Game, Predators and Dangerous Animals in the Western Cape Province (p. 11)

1620198429095.png

Policy on Fencing and Enclosure of Game, Predators and Dangerous Animals in the Western Cape Province (p. 12)
1620198347666.png
1620198379317.png
1620198404139.png
1620198429095.png

See attached the entire Policy on Fencing and Enclosure of Game, Predators and Dangerous Animals in the Western Cape Province. As stated above each province has its own document but they are all substantially the same, although with some minor differences
END QOUTE

Attachments

• game theft act 1991.pdf
    376.7 KB · Views: 210

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelFrym

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !