Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I have a slight advantage because my wife also hunts so we each bring a rifle in different calibers.
Our first safari she took a 270WIN and I had the 375H&H, each of which we could shoot if we had to.
The plan for the next safari is two R8's with three barrels.

That said, if my wife were not to hunt, I'd still take only one rifle (but probabaly two barrels).
No, it's not redundant and I'm OK with that.
If plans went to crap with lost ammo, broken rifle or mechanical problem...etc
I'll be using a camp rifle (375H&H) that I have spoken with the outfitter beforehand about.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
I recall a near disaster story when the hunters had 2 near identical bolt action rifles on a DG hunt, just different calibers. They let staff clean their rifles, and the bolts got swapped.

One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces

perttime

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.

Reactions: IvW

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.

Not to get too off topic, but they sell 100 round case gauges/chamber checkers that will check that much faster and without having to load each into a mag and then chamber making the gun hot. "Shockbottle" is one such company. I use it for my match ammo as well and I can check a 500 round case in about 10 minutes if I'm taking my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbdgreenesese

Latest profile posts

gprippers wrote on Tucketed's profile.
Hello, saw that you want the Jeffries brass. So you an either send a USPS money order or paypal i guess, which ever works for you is fine with me at this point. If you want to us Paypal use [redacted] friends and family and dont mention gun stuff at all or they will go bananas! LOL!

Let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,
Rob
Cowboy wrote on MBIZI SAFARIS's profile.
Good afternoon, please send me a list of pricing for 2022.
NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?