Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I have a slight advantage because my wife also hunts so we each bring a rifle in different calibers.
Our first safari she took a 270WIN and I had the 375H&H, each of which we could shoot if we had to.
The plan for the next safari is two R8's with three barrels.

That said, if my wife were not to hunt, I'd still take only one rifle (but probabaly two barrels).
No, it's not redundant and I'm OK with that.
If plans went to crap with lost ammo, broken rifle or mechanical problem...etc
I'll be using a camp rifle (375H&H) that I have spoken with the outfitter beforehand about.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
I recall a near disaster story when the hunters had 2 near identical bolt action rifles on a DG hunt, just different calibers. They let staff clean their rifles, and the bolts got swapped.

One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces

perttime

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.

Reactions: IvW

mikecatt13

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.

Not to get too off topic, but they sell 100 round case gauges/chamber checkers that will check that much faster and without having to load each into a mag and then chamber making the gun hot. "Shockbottle" is one such company. I use it for my match ammo as well and I can check a 500 round case in about 10 minutes if I'm taking my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSluse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J