First Timer Rifle

Plains Game and Dangerous Game Setup

  • Bolt and Double

  • Blaser R8 or similar with different barrels


Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a slight advantage because my wife also hunts so we each bring a rifle in different calibers.
Our first safari she took a 270WIN and I had the 375H&H, each of which we could shoot if we had to.
The plan for the next safari is two R8's with three barrels.

That said, if my wife were not to hunt, I'd still take only one rifle (but probabaly two barrels).
No, it's not redundant and I'm OK with that.
If plans went to crap with lost ammo, broken rifle or mechanical problem...etc
I'll be using a camp rifle (375H&H) that I have spoken with the outfitter beforehand about.
 
I recall a near disaster story when the hunters had 2 near identical bolt action rifles on a DG hunt, just different calibers. They let staff clean their rifles, and the bolts got swapped.

One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.
 
One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.
 
  • Like
Reactions: IvW
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.

Not to get too off topic, but they sell 100 round case gauges/chamber checkers that will check that much faster and without having to load each into a mag and then chamber making the gun hot. "Shockbottle" is one such company. I use it for my match ammo as well and I can check a 500 round case in about 10 minutes if I'm taking my time.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,168
Members
169,503
Latest member
MarcCockle
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top