First Timer Rifle

Plains Game and Dangerous Game Setup

• Bolt and Double

• Blaser R8 or similar with different barrels

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a slight advantage because my wife also hunts so we each bring a rifle in different calibers.
Our first safari she took a 270WIN and I had the 375H&H, each of which we could shoot if we had to.
The plan for the next safari is two R8's with three barrels.

That said, if my wife were not to hunt, I'd still take only one rifle (but probabaly two barrels).
No, it's not redundant and I'm OK with that.
If plans went to crap with lost ammo, broken rifle or mechanical problem...etc
I'll be using a camp rifle (375H&H) that I have spoken with the outfitter beforehand about.

I recall a near disaster story when the hunters had 2 near identical bolt action rifles on a DG hunt, just different calibers. They let staff clean their rifles, and the bolts got swapped.

One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.

One should always clean ones own rifle..

When hunting DG one should furthermore EACH morning cycle all the cartridges you will be carrying that day through the action. It is a ritual I was tough when I started hunting DG and I do it each and every morning before going out when guiding on DG.
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.

Reactions: IvW
That is the same idea I have, when going to an IPSC Handgun match, other than casual club stuff. This only happens a few times a year, though, and it isn't even my or anyone else's life at stake. I cycle every single round that I might use in the match through my pistol, the evening before. Usually, that is about 300 rounds to make sure I definitely have enough.

Not to get too off topic, but they sell 100 round case gauges/chamber checkers that will check that much faster and without having to load each into a mag and then chamber making the gun hot. "Shockbottle" is one such company. I use it for my match ammo as well and I can check a 500 round case in about 10 minutes if I'm taking my time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross