Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
So, here I was on day three of this dangerous hunt in Middle Georgia. I was sitting in my blind waiting patiently and trying not to think about the humidity, the heat, mosquitos, spiders, and whatever other crawling creature that lives in this dark and dangerous place. It was nice and toasty 89 degrees, and I could feel sweat drops running down my back. Trying to stay focus on the task ahead, and not to think of all the other dangers lurking around played games with my mind. Did I see something, did I hear something. Some very terrifying moments.

I could still hear my wife's voice saying I'm wasting my time; you are not going to catch anything. Well, tonight I was determined to prove her wrong. I had freshened up the baits, and I knew that tonight was the night. I kept reminding myself that I had to be patient, and not rush. Two, three, four hours passed by, and finally the moment of truth, success! I had finally succeeded in bagging this dangerous animal. I could still hear my heart racing, and I succeeded, with no one getting hurt. What a great feeling of relief.

I sat there in disbelief that I had finally succeeded. While I felt the soft coat of this beautiful and yet dangerous creature, I could only think on how to convince my wife to let me have one more mount. Should I do a shoulder or full mount. Unfortunately, she said no more, we have too many dead sh*t on the wall. So, I left the room sad, and opted by not bringing this trophy home. He won't make SCI, but at the end of the day he is my trophy.

mouse.jpg

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was some white tail or a hog, or something like that...:ROFLMAO:

Undoubtfully make full mount, whatever is the cost!!!!

IMG_9935.jpeg

Bill Mauldin caught the desperation of such a confrontation in his wonderful WWII book “Up Front.”

So, here I was on day three of this dangerous hunt in Middle Georgia. I was sitting in my blind waiting patiently and trying not to think about the humidity, the heat, mosquitos, spiders, and whatever other crawling creature that lives in this dark and dangerous place. It was nice and toasty 89 degrees, and I could feel sweat drops running down my back. Trying to stay focus on the task ahead, and not to think of all the other dangers lurking around played games with my mind. Did I see something, did I hear something. Some very terrifying moments.

I could still hear my wife's voice saying I'm wasting my time; you are not going to catch anything. Well, tonight I was determined to prove her wrong. I had freshened up the baits, and I knew that tonight was the night. I kept reminding myself that I had to be patient, and not rush. Two, three, four hours passed by, and finally the moment of truth, success! I had finally succeeded in bagging this dangerous animal. I could still hear my heart racing, and I succeeded, with no one getting hurt. What a great feeling of relief.

I sat there in disbelief that I had finally succeeded. While I felt the soft coat of this beautiful and yet dangerous creature, I could only think on how to convince my wife to let me have one more mount. Should I do a shoulder or full mount. Unfortunately, she said no more, we have too many dead sh*t on the wall. So, I left the room sad, and opted by not bringing this trophy home. He won't make SCI, but at the end of the day he is my trophy.

View attachment 559998
@PARA45
TRAPPING doesn't count mate. Now if you had shot it with your DG rifle the wife may have considered letting you do a nice shoulder mount. This was not a fair chase hunt so I see her point. Next time SHOOT IT.
Bob

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.41.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.41.39 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

Did you eat the cane rat? The Zulus taught me not to waste their meat… I’ll usually eat some if my gardener or domestic worker cooks one I’ve shot for them as a gesture of appreciation, but its not bad at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen, give me some credit, on the bright side, I did not use a 243. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
@PARA45
If you used a 243 you may have faced a charge from the enraged rodent. Always use enough gun and the 243 just wouldn't cut the mustard. So I will give you credit on that count, but still not a fair chase hunt.
Bob

Hahahahaha. Reminds me of the old rat-and snake-infested camp house we had out at the deer lease. One October we went out to “clean a little.” It was still Mississippi hot.

After lifting up a couch to check for snakes, this huge rat ran out and ran to the other side of the room. As it backed up and looked at us with its beady, little eyes, I sensed it was going to charge. All I had on me was a 357 with rat shot for snakes.

About the time I pulled the 357, it ran at us-to get back under the couch, I reckon. I smoked it off the toe of my Reeboks. Death at my feet.

We were deaf for about a week.

So what’s the recoil like on one of these?

So what’s the recoil like on one of these?
I use a L-Frame .357 for rattlesnakes at night on our patio at our place. It is more loud than punishing and relatively gentle on the limestone. Regrettably one does have to get pretty close to the target, and the "pattern" is somewhat irregular - in other words I am not shooting anywhere near my toes. :oops:

one afternoon during elk season I left the old, sagging cabin we hunted out of. My father stayed behind and had a hunt of his own.

No electricity or water in that cabin, but it did have holes. And mice. And it did have one fat pack rat. My father fired off 5-6 rounds inside the woodshed attached to the cabin from a little .32 pistol to get that pack rat. He proudly displayed the pack rat on the stairs of the cabin to make sure we immediately saw his success upon return.

Hahahahaha. Reminds me of the old rat-and snake-infested camp house we had out at the deer lease. One October we went out to “clean a little.” It was still Mississippi hot.

After lifting up a couch to check for snakes, this huge rat ran out and ran to the other side of the room. As it backed up and looked at us with its beady, little eyes, I sensed it was going to charge. All I had on me was a 357 with rat shot for snakes.

About the time I pulled the 357, it ran at us-to get back under the couch, I reckon. I smoked it off the toe of my Reeboks. Death at my feet.

We were deaf for about a week.
@Slick3006
Luckily you used enough gun. If it was a 243 you could have face a full on frontal charge. Fortunately you had the right gun to start with.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenitoRieg

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!