First big bore gun suggestions

boldo 42

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Looking for suggestions for a DG gun, tax return came back much bigger than I expected, so I figured I’d get my DG gun sooner rather than later. It only took 3 days of excel and 10 different government forms to get my own money back:mad:.

I don’t have any recoil problems (pain/flinch/accuracy issues) with the .338 win mag after a 50 round session in the prone position, and have shot a 45-70 without recoil issues, though that was years ago. Basically, I’m trying to say I’m not recoil shy, but I’m also not expecting to go buy a 600 NE and expect to fire it well immediately, as I’m not experienced with heavy recoil.

I’m not interested in a 375, really looking for something starting with a 4, but I know I will get at least 10 suggestions for a 375 anyway :rolleyes:. I know lots of folks here have taken elephant with a 375, just not what I am desiring right now. Also not desiring a 50 BMG or 416 Barrett, I don’t want a heavy sniper, I want something I can carry and shoot out to 150-200 yards max.

Up until now I’ve always had blued steel, wood stocks, so I’m dreaming of something a bit different this time if possible, maybe stainless steel with a wood stock, but not really necessary. I’ve heard bad things about synthetic stocks and heavy recoil, but its all second hand, and I’m willing to change my opinion if someone has first hand experience. But really wood just feels and looks right on a gun.

Definitely looking for a bolt action, not single or double.

Anyone know of a good gun, both caliber and model, that fits this highly constrained description? I am a hand loader, I know that makes a difference with ammo availability.
Win 70 safari in 416 rem mag. Well finished out of the box , doesn't weigh alot and has enough gas to knock over anything.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
The consensus seems to be one of the 416(s) or a 404 Jeffery. The OP's budget was around $2,500 with a little wiggle room. Could he buy a used RUM Win Mod 70 Classic Sporter and have it re barreled to a 404 Jeffery for that price? There was a link on AH to GB several days ago that had the Winnie listed on "buy Now" for $850.00. If I didn't already have a 404 I think I would have jumped on that.

fsrmg1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA, NRA, BGRC, MMA
Hunted
AK, US, AU, DE, CZ
I'd be looking for a nice .416 Ruger or .404 Jeffery. Either comes in a manageable sized package and will do everything you want and then some.

Lbarr265

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Thinking I’ll go with something in the 416 for component availability. Looking at either a cz, win 70, or MRC, time to start shopping the deals and find what I can find. Leaning towards a cz in 416 rigby but am not definitive. Bit more control over my loads with more capacity and the cz is cheap enough to get some work done on it and get a nice scope

Thanks for y’all advice. I’ll post pictures when the whole thing is finalized

neckdeep

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC DU Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, USA, Argentina
Check out some of the available now guns on AHR page,
American Hunting Rifles. 416 Rem or Rigby is a good place to start

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
416 Rem or Rigby in a CZ, Win 70 or Montana Rifle Co. and a good quality optic (leupold)

This /\

Unless you are willing to pay a little more and go AHR.

:eek: Just realized this is an old thread revival!

Last edited:

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Whats the cz 550 in .404 jeffery going for new these days?
Would need to be a 550 Safari Classics Magnum Express from the CZ custom shop.
This would most likely exceed the $2500 (with wiggle room) of the OP's budget.

If boldo 42 is set on a CZ may I suggest finding a used CZ550 or Brno and having it sent to AHR to be tuned up.
A lightly used CZ in 416 can be had for around $1000 if you are not in a hurry.
Used the saved money on a quality optic and having the rifle slicked up.

American Hunting Rifles
http://americanhuntingrifles.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarrettCur

Latest profile posts

raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!
Sarg wrote on Philippe's profile.
Hello Philippe, did you get my PM that I sent you earlier ?

Regards Mark
raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.