First big bore gun suggestions

Looking for suggestions for a DG gun, tax return came back much bigger than I expected, so I figured I’d get my DG gun sooner rather than later. It only took 3 days of excel and 10 different government forms to get my own money back:mad:.

I don’t have any recoil problems (pain/flinch/accuracy issues) with the .338 win mag after a 50 round session in the prone position, and have shot a 45-70 without recoil issues, though that was years ago. Basically, I’m trying to say I’m not recoil shy, but I’m also not expecting to go buy a 600 NE and expect to fire it well immediately, as I’m not experienced with heavy recoil.

I’m not interested in a 375, really looking for something starting with a 4, but I know I will get at least 10 suggestions for a 375 anyway :rolleyes:. I know lots of folks here have taken elephant with a 375, just not what I am desiring right now. Also not desiring a 50 BMG or 416 Barrett, I don’t want a heavy sniper, I want something I can carry and shoot out to 150-200 yards max.

Up until now I’ve always had blued steel, wood stocks, so I’m dreaming of something a bit different this time if possible, maybe stainless steel with a wood stock, but not really necessary. I’ve heard bad things about synthetic stocks and heavy recoil, but its all second hand, and I’m willing to change my opinion if someone has first hand experience. But really wood just feels and looks right on a gun.

Definitely looking for a bolt action, not single or double.

Anyone know of a good gun, both caliber and model, that fits this highly constrained description? I am a hand loader, I know that makes a difference with ammo availability.
Win 70 safari in 416 rem mag. Well finished out of the box , doesn't weigh alot and has enough gas to knock over anything.
 
The consensus seems to be one of the 416(s) or a 404 Jeffery. The OP's budget was around $2,500 with a little wiggle room. Could he buy a used RUM Win Mod 70 Classic Sporter and have it re barreled to a 404 Jeffery for that price? There was a link on AH to GB several days ago that had the Winnie listed on "buy Now" for $850.00. If I didn't already have a 404 I think I would have jumped on that.
 
I'd be looking for a nice .416 Ruger or .404 Jeffery. Either comes in a manageable sized package and will do everything you want and then some.
 
Thinking I’ll go with something in the 416 for component availability. Looking at either a cz, win 70, or MRC, time to start shopping the deals and find what I can find. Leaning towards a cz in 416 rigby but am not definitive. Bit more control over my loads with more capacity and the cz is cheap enough to get some work done on it and get a nice scope

Thanks for y’all advice. I’ll post pictures when the whole thing is finalized
 
Check out some of the available now guns on AHR page,
American Hunting Rifles. 416 Rem or Rigby is a good place to start
 
416 Rem or Rigby in a CZ, Win 70 or Montana Rifle Co. and a good quality optic (leupold)


This /\

Unless you are willing to pay a little more and go AHR.


:eek: Just realized this is an old thread revival!
 
Last edited:
Whats the cz 550 in .404 jeffery going for new these days?
Would need to be a 550 Safari Classics Magnum Express from the CZ custom shop.
This would most likely exceed the $2500 (with wiggle room) of the OP's budget.

If boldo 42 is set on a CZ may I suggest finding a used CZ550 or Brno and having it sent to AHR to be tuned up.
A lightly used CZ in 416 can be had for around $1000 if you are not in a hurry.
Used the saved money on a quality optic and having the rifle slicked up.

American Hunting Rifles
http://americanhuntingrifles.com/
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,032
Members
169,888
Latest member
Sonia16980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top