First big bore gun suggestions

Looking for suggestions for a DG gun, tax return came back much bigger than I expected, so I figured I’d get my DG gun sooner rather than later. It only took 3 days of excel and 10 different government forms to get my own money back:mad:.

I don’t have any recoil problems (pain/flinch/accuracy issues) with the .338 win mag after a 50 round session in the prone position, and have shot a 45-70 without recoil issues, though that was years ago. Basically, I’m trying to say I’m not recoil shy, but I’m also not expecting to go buy a 600 NE and expect to fire it well immediately, as I’m not experienced with heavy recoil.

I’m not interested in a 375, really looking for something starting with a 4, but I know I will get at least 10 suggestions for a 375 anyway :rolleyes:. I know lots of folks here have taken elephant with a 375, just not what I am desiring right now. Also not desiring a 50 BMG or 416 Barrett, I don’t want a heavy sniper, I want something I can carry and shoot out to 150-200 yards max.

Up until now I’ve always had blued steel, wood stocks, so I’m dreaming of something a bit different this time if possible, maybe stainless steel with a wood stock, but not really necessary. I’ve heard bad things about synthetic stocks and heavy recoil, but its all second hand, and I’m willing to change my opinion if someone has first hand experience. But really wood just feels and looks right on a gun.

Definitely looking for a bolt action, not single or double.

Anyone know of a good gun, both caliber and model, that fits this highly constrained description? I am a hand loader, I know that makes a difference with ammo availability.
Win 70 safari in 416 rem mag. Well finished out of the box , doesn't weigh alot and has enough gas to knock over anything.

The consensus seems to be one of the 416(s) or a 404 Jeffery. The OP's budget was around $2,500 with a little wiggle room. Could he buy a used RUM Win Mod 70 Classic Sporter and have it re barreled to a 404 Jeffery for that price? There was a link on AH to GB several days ago that had the Winnie listed on "buy Now" for $850.00. If I didn't already have a 404 I think I would have jumped on that.

I'd be looking for a nice .416 Ruger or .404 Jeffery. Either comes in a manageable sized package and will do everything you want and then some.

Thinking I’ll go with something in the 416 for component availability. Looking at either a cz, win 70, or MRC, time to start shopping the deals and find what I can find. Leaning towards a cz in 416 rigby but am not definitive. Bit more control over my loads with more capacity and the cz is cheap enough to get some work done on it and get a nice scope

Thanks for y’all advice. I’ll post pictures when the whole thing is finalized

Check out some of the available now guns on AHR page,
American Hunting Rifles. 416 Rem or Rigby is a good place to start

416 Rem or Rigby in a CZ, Win 70 or Montana Rifle Co. and a good quality optic (leupold)

This /\

Unless you are willing to pay a little more and go AHR.

:eek: Just realized this is an old thread revival!

Last edited:
Whats the cz 550 in .404 jeffery going for new these days?
Would need to be a 550 Safari Classics Magnum Express from the CZ custom shop.
This would most likely exceed the $2500 (with wiggle room) of the OP's budget.

If boldo 42 is set on a CZ may I suggest finding a used CZ550 or Brno and having it sent to AHR to be tuned up.
A lightly used CZ in 416 can be had for around $1000 if you are not in a hurry.
Used the saved money on a quality optic and having the rifle slicked up.

American Hunting Rifles
http://americanhuntingrifles.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross