First .375H&H, what to avoid?

Call me superstitious...but I would never consider a .375H&H without controlled claw feeding aka Mauser or Mauser derivative...my 2 cents..
Me too!
But I call myself, a "dinosaur", "tradionalist", "cave man", "conservative".
In another word, its not superstition but realistic opinion based on historical perfomance of crf system in last 100 years. Emphasis is on 100 years of field performance.

Everything else is just a "fashion".

There is the odd Brno ZKK602 with pop up peep sight floating around in the uk and on auction sights- would be my ultimate 375. Pair that with the same rifle in 7x57 or 7x64 and happy days. I also saw a nice Husqvarna 9.3x62 for sale in the UK.

Call me superstitious...but I would never consider a .375H&H without controlled claw feeding aka Mauser or Mauser derivative...my 2 cents..

+ 1

I have never shot Dangerous Game, but I have short cycled my push feed a couple of times just with the excitement of shooting a Roe.

+ 1

I have never shot Dangerous Game, but I have short cycled my push feed a couple of times just with the excitement of shooting a Roe.
I’ve never understood quite why this gets blamed on the rifle, appreciate the heat of the moment wanting to trust your equipment, especially in DG situations, but also ensuring the shooter does their part and doesn’t “short cycle” as you say.

99% of problems are caused by operator error. The inanimate object puts out only what the operator puts in.

I've never understood short stroking, but I guess I've never had a 1500 pound animal with horns running 20 feet away at me either. I have always racked the bolt hard no matter the rifle...I'm personally not worried about myself. I guess I will yield that it can happen though.

Only if game in the Eland and above class is the target. Its a bit much for everything else.
Strongly disagree, it effectively kills effectively everything, smaller animals display less meat damage, larger die decisively, what more do you want? I’ve used various .375’s over the years for everything from rabbits (granted not much left) through muntjac, no more, probably less, meat damage than my .308 would cause, through to reds, wild boar, oryx and zebra, it’s a brilliant all rounder.

Shouldn’t everyone have at least one .375?

Thanks everyone, very informative info, lots to think about. Just to clear up I already own .223, .243 and .308. The .375H&H is certainly a calibre I "WANT" more than i need. The Plan is, get gun, get practising (lots) whilst saving for that trophy trip of a lifetime. Thanks again everyone, keep it coming

Only if game in the Eland and above class is the target. Its a bit much for everything else.
The great thing about the 375 is it's versatility. With different bullet weights and construction, all of Africa's game can be taken.

For the T10 there are solids. For long range work, use a 235 grain to get the speed out. Elephant on the menu, load up some 350 grain solids.

Or keep it simple and use 300 grain softs for everything (except the T10 and Elephant). I took 9 head of PG ranging is size from Blesbok to Eland all with 300 grain Swift A-Frames. No complaints of meat damage or not having enough gun from anyone.

I am from the UK and have just recently acquired a 375H&H. The police granted it to me no questions asked however I was heavily restricted. I wasn't allowed to fire the gun in the UK, I wasn't even allowed to have it outside the house unless I was heading to the airport to go abroad. After writing to the firearms dept and a quick phone call all restrictions were lifted and I can hunt "all other legal quarry" in the UK and abroad. I bought a second hand Winchester M70 and it quickly became my favourite rifle in the cabinet.
Screenshot_20210325-152549_Instagram.jpg

I've never understood short stroking, but I guess I've never had a 1500 pound animal with horns running 20 feet away at me either. I have always racked the bolt hard no matter the rifle...I'm personally not worried about myself. I guess I will yield that it can happen though.

Well I can say this, my competition rifle i have fired on the low side 15k rounds, can probably add that much again on rifles before I settled on this platform. I would conservatively say I had dry fired 300k I would say the number is most likely higher than that. On the mover stage I could get off 10 rds in one pass (95' moving 5mph at 500 yards 10" plate).

In that amount of time you build a lot of muscle memory. To top it off for me my bolt throw is 60°.

With my Dakota and Winchester I have dry fired thousands of times to build muscle memory. If not I can see how in the heat of the moment one would revert to muscle memory. For the last 14 years that one rifle is what I shot 95% of the time.

Just another angle to consider.

I think you can just as easily short stroke a controlled round feed

Short stroking is a function of stress, not mechanics
short stroking happens when someone used to shorter actions fails to pull the bolt fully to the rear, and fails to pick up a round from the mag on reclosing the bolt.
this an action length thing, and can happen with push feed or controlled feed.
where controlled feed helps is when a round has been stripped from the mag and chambered, but the bolt has not been turned down.
should one pull the bolt back then for whatever reason, the control feed will extract and eject the round, while the push feed will leave it in the chamber.
both actions will now strip a round from the mag and try to chamber them on forward stroke of the bolt.
the crf will be successful and the p.f. will jam the new round against the chambered round.
herein is what controlled round feed is really all about.
while it defies logic, and is highly unlikely, even really experienced shooters can have the above thing happen.
bruce.

Back in 2014 I had a 6 month battle to get my 375 opened up for use on UK game. I did manage to get it and I must say IF I had to sell everything and only keep one it would be my 375. @Vanguard2279 and @dabloobana have seen it in the flesh and they both rather like it.

Us UK members seem to be growing in numbers and its nice to see more brits on the forum

I can share my support for UK members!
Its good to hear, what you are saying @norfolk shooter !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you