First .375H&H, what to avoid?

I meant, honestly! I am aware of difficulties that UK hunters face with their licensing!

I meant, honestly! I am aware of difficulties that UK hunters face with their licensing!
Oh based on that very concerned. We keep getting crap from the antis the press is an anti press. But saying that when I engage members of the public about hunting and shooting they cant care less as long as nobody gets hurt and what gets harvested is used for food. They also see is as a tradition of the British countryside. In the UK there is an organisation that takes cooked game food to those that need hot meals. I dont know of any anti hunting group that helps people that need it.
If you look at Natural England which is a gov funded organisation that is supposed to manage the wildlife and countryside it is lead by an anti shooting cockwomble who banned waterfowling in the home of UK fowling (The Humber estuary) last year. This year they have announced they are going to destroy 3Kest mallard chicks in an area of the UK due to potential collisions with cyclists!!! How is that conservation???

I'm realistically looking around the £2000 mark. Primarily used in UK for red/sika deer and wild boar. Want to take it to Africa one day. I'd love to do DG with it but most likely PG if I get to Africa
THis was my justification for a .375 as well. Driven boar on the continent, plus vague thoughts of an Africa trip in due course.

Is it the most practical cartridge for that job? No. Is it an acceptable and serviceable one? Yes. Plus it's fun, and you get a .375. Don't let the FEO dictate to you. Folks do have them AOLQ in the UK, so stick to your guns!

I think for £2000, it's gonna be a Win 70, a Sako 85 or a CZ. Other options are available second hand of course, but this'll be most of the market. The CZ is likely to be pushing the budget new at UK prices.

Personally, I'd lean towards a new or lightly used Win 70 with CRF. The new models, post 2013 are the best bet, but the earlier push feed, or even a pre-64 would also be viable (personally I'd take the new version over either of the other two, magical pre-64 mythos or no).

I sorted a SH Win 70 Safari Express of this type, a Meopta R2 1-6x optic, QD rings and bases, some dies and some reloading components for about that kinda money. The base model Win 70 without the safari barrel, cross bolts and express sights is maybe a couple hundred quid less.

Weight is a personal thing. I was quite happy with my heavy Safari Express, but then I like a heavier rifle, and I was shooting for extended sessions a fair bit at the range. Others would say that rifles was at least 1lb, maybe 2lb overweight for a 375H&H.

Hope you enjoy your new rifle.

Don't overlook the .375 Ruger. With 23" barrel, I got a 300 grain bullet moving 2600 while being well below max pressure.

If you want the H&H for the Nostalgia of it, I can't blame you for that either. Recoil levels on the H&H and Ruger, are very manageable.

Back in 2014 I had a 6 month battle to get my 375 opened up for use on UK game. I did manage to get it and I must say IF I had to sell everything and only keep one it would be my 375. @Vanguard2279 and @dabloobana have seen it in the flesh and they both rather like it.

Us UK members seem to be growing in numbers and its nice to see more brits on the forum

Hello Norfolk Shooter

May I ask why you would keep the .375 over all others for UK game?

With kind regards

Chris.

Hello Norfolk Shooter

May I ask why you would keep the .375 over all others for UK game?

With kind regards

Chris.
Not just for UK game mate. Its a one rifle one world kinda cal. I have done most things from munti to DG with it. Saying that i do have a 416 Rigby double too which is good fun and a laugh at the range

Just want to thank everybody who's replied and posted. After weeks of reading and research, I have finally purchased my first big bore, a medwell and perrett in .375H&H. Managed to find one within budget c/w swarovski 4x32 scope on QR mounts. Good job it was within budget as driving to collect it, my truck engine seized up, nightmare. Just need to learn to shoot it now, which has been hindered by me trapping a nerve in my back. Fingers crossed I can get to the range to practice practice practice. Thanks again all, for the advice.

20210724_155440.jpg
20210724_155247.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
... Fingers crossed I can get to the range to practice practice practice. Thanks again all, for the advice.

Best way to practice for a .375 (or any rifle) is with a .22. Rifle marksmanship fundamentals do not change between calibers. I'd do 90% of the shooting with the .22 and the 10% with the .375 to learn to ride the recoil, figure out the MPBR etc. etc..

My recommendation would be to shoot the .22, switch to .375 and then switch back to .22 to reinforce shooting fundamentals.

Best way to practice for a .375 (or any rifle) is with a .22. Rifle marksmanship fundamentals do not change between calibers. I'd do 90% of the shooting with the .22 and the 10% with the .375 to learn to ride the recoil, figure out the MPBR etc. etc..

My recommendation would be to shoot the .22, switch to .375 and then switch back to .22 to reinforce shooting fundamentals.
Back to basics, that makes sense. Looking forward to using it. Thanks for reply

Well done UKfingers! One of the most enjoyable parts of firing a 375 is the noise, that boom is something else. I get my friend to fire mine at the range while I stand at a safe distance so I don't need ear protection. The 30-06's and 308's have their turn, then the 375 talks and it is a whole other level!

The original Holland & Holland .375 Magnum sounds promising . Exactly how bad is it cosmetically damaged ?

My favorite .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the old Czech BRNO ZKK602 , preferably the early 1970s era ones with the folding diopter .

Really interesting subject. I just bought a used Winchester Model 70 in 375 H and H. It is CRF. It was made in 1993 and is a Super Express model. I got it from an estate. It came with an inexpensive Nikon 1-6 power Monarch scope. I have taken it to the range once snd find the recoil very manageable. I have not yet hunted DG, but really like this rifle. I hope to use it on deer in WI this year if I can get appropriate ammo. This was definitely a want of mine rather than a need! I never thought I would have such s wonderful rifle! Enjoy your new 375. Your friend, Brian

I attached a few pictures!

CD28C02D-5018-46E2-8F0B-4B4801A7AD32.jpeg
2080B40E-C19E-4A69-999E-183E5F9DE529.jpeg
8192E38A-2147-4C08-944A-4DBE390D9B08.jpeg
DD9B678C-C1E1-4A18-9AD7-F98C240490A4.jpeg
CB43E801-DB00-4AA4-8C31-DC8EFEA88400.jpeg
05CBEABE-EEC1-44D0-92ED-F7B8E5C2D35A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The original Holland & Holland .375 Magnum sounds promising . Exactly how bad is it cosmetically damaged ?

My favorite .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the old Czech BRNO ZKK602 , preferably the early 1970s era ones with the folding diopter .
It had a "used" look about it, also a hair line crack around the grip running back into the stock. For me it just didn't feel right.

Really interesting subject. I just bought a used Winchester Model 70 in 375 H and H. It is CRF. It was made in 1993 and is a Super Express model. I got it from an estate. It came with an inexpensive Nikon 1-6 power Monarch scope. I have taken it to the range once snd find the recoil very manageable. I have not yet hunted DG, but really like this rifle. I hope to use it on deer in WI this year if I can get appropriate ammo. This was definitely a want of mine rather than a need! I never thought I would have such s wonderful rifle! Enjoy your new 375. Your friend, Brian
Thanks Brian, I see from the pics you have it on the bench at the range. Is the recoil from a bench shot still manageable? I've read nobody particularly likes it, but it's needed in order to correctly zero. If so then shots practiced from field positions will be a pleasure.

Well done UKfingers! One of the most enjoyable parts of firing a 375 is the noise, that boom is something else. I get my friend to fire mine at the range while I stand at a safe distance so I don't need ear protection. The 30-06's and 308's have their turn, then the 375 talks and it is a whole other level!
I like that, it made me smile. I hope the level up in "talk" is also followed by an increase in that shot powder smell I find myself craving whilst out shooting.

Thanks Brian, I see from the pics you have it on the bench at the range. Is the recoil from a bench shot still manageable? I've read nobody particularly likes it, but it's needed in order to correctly zero. If so then shots practiced from field positions will be a pleasure.
Yes the recoil in not an issue. I have not weighed it yet, but it seems fairly heavy. I did wear a shoulder pad when sighting it in to be careful, but it would not have even been necessary. I grew up shooting 12ga shotguns for ducks and pheasants. In more recent years as turkeys have been re introduced to Wisconsin 3” turkey loads have been used. I find the recoil similar to them. Enjoy your new rifle and I will do the same. Your friend, Brian

Come along Kevin, I have been looking for a good mate who can help me similarly as yours has, how about you just shooting one round off from my .460 Weatherby so I can hear what that sounds like?

Come along Kevin, I have been looking for a good mate who can help me similarly as yours has, how about you just shooting one round off from my .460 Weatherby so I can hear what that sounds like?
Not on your life Arthur, that 460 isn't a boom, it's a nuclear explosion...

Rather than take a battering during the process of regulating sights, zeroing and/or load development I now use a 'wus sled' otherwise known as a Caldwell hydro-sled.

Might not look ''roughty tufty' but my shoulder thanks me and I avoid perfecting my flinch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross