First .375H&H, what to avoid?

Ukfingers

AH member
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies for sounding nieve but I'm looking at purchasing my first Africa ready rifle in .375H&H. Living in the UK so choice seems limited, doubles are out of my budget so a bolt it'll have to be. I've arranged to look at a few over the next couple of weeks, but other than the obvious cosmetic knocks and clean looking bore what makes a good rifle? What should I avoid? Got 3 that look promising,
1, 1929 H&H (with some cosmetic damage)
2, cogswell and harrison
3, medwell and perrett
Any thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated

My only advice is don't read to much...your 375 will turn into a 416 and that will turn into a 458 then...

I would say if you give an honest budget you will receive the best advice. Along with what your plans are for it, DG? Or is this a want? Open sites or do you want to scope it?

I'm not familiar with the 3, but when choosing a 375 I think rifle weight is overlooked. This is subjective of course: but much to my surprise, it's a pussycat to shoot. You look at the size of the loaded cartridge, see people shoot the largest animals in the world with it, and then look at the recoil charts...it's very intimidating the first time you pull the trigger. Then you think, "huh, that's it?"

I think the perfect weight for a 375 all in with scope is 9 pounds (recoil sensitive but may not agree, but I am used to shooting 7mm rem mag and the occasional 3" 12ga...actually 3.5"). I made the mistake of buying a 9 pound bare rifle. I like the challenge of iron sights so I kept mine as is...in fact I put on a synthetic stock to bring it down to 8.5 pounds for easier carrying.

Just something to think about

I'm realistically looking around the £2000 mark. Primarily used in UK for red/sika deer and wild boar. Want to take it to Africa one day. I'd love to do DG with it but most likely PG if I get to Africa

I'm realistically looking around the £2000 mark. Primarily used in UK for red/sika deer and wild boar. Want to take it to Africa one day. I'd love to do DG with it but most likely PG if I get to Africa
For the game you describe, you obviously don't "need" a .375. Want/covet/desire are different things entirely. ;)

You will want to properly scope a .375 to take full advantage of its range capability. Therefore I would likely pass on any pre-WWII rifle due to the drop at heel on most of that period - great for open sights (how they were then generally used), but problematic for most with the higher sighting plain when equipped with a scope. Of the three rifles you mentioned, the Medwell and Perrett would be the most likely to have modern LOP and drop dimensions. I would also note that if you can actually get a M&P for your budget that would be an excellent buy.

For what you describe and the animals you mention even African pg I would get a good quality 7x57mm with a twist to use 160-175gr bullets, you will use it more and be very accurate with it, not like you gonna be shooting dosens of eland soon......
375 H&H not needed for what you want, if the 7x57mm is too "small" for your urges get a 9.3x62mm and be done with it....

This has been said a lot, but it is worth repeating - the fit is critical. I found mine waaay easier to shoot once I increased the LOP. I cannot comment on the three choices specifically, but see how each feels before deciding. Also, they all sound like great rifles.

There is no caliber more versatile than the 375H&H in Africa. I've also heard while it's good for everything, it's perfect for nothing. Too large for PG, too small for DG...etc. I don't subscribe to this.

Personally, I really like the 375H&H and it's currently the largest caliber I own after selling my 416RM. The 416RM was a great shooter and I loved the rifle, but the 375 does everything I need it to (as a client) for any and all game...up to and including DG. I also plan on using it in Alaska for Brown Bear and many other animals.

What to avoid? Uncommon calibers like the 378WBY, 375WBY and 375RUM. The 375H&H and most recently the 375RUGER are good ones to stick with. Also avoid a muzzle break. At 375 caliber, you should be completely capable of handling the recoil with no problems.

What to look for...a reliable rifle. Winchester M70, Ruger Hawkeye, CZ550 (with some minor work) and Kimber Talkeetna are good places to start. There are also several very accurate and reliable push-feed actions out there like the Savage 110 and Mossberg Patriot.

You can get there for less than £2000 without a problem, but £2500 would get you some outstanding wood.

Last edited:
Welcome Ukfingers! Don't forget the Ruger No1 in 375H&H, a true classic that absolutely fits the bill. For your budget you should get the rifle plus a really good scope like a Leica or Swaroski. I couldn't be happier with my Ruger, it has taken zebra, impala, buffalo, warthog and sable, it doesn't get much more versatile than that!

@Ukfingers
From the budget mentioned, 2k pounds, I would suggest, bolt action, of mauser 98 CRF system.
And within that budget it would be ZKK 602, CZ 550, (magnum action - reccomended) - those are phased out so only second hand will be available.
Or winchester m70, or zastava m70, which still can be found new (still in production), or second hand as well.

If you are lucky you can get them within your budget, and with luck they will be equipped with decent scope and QD mounts.

Having got 'permission' for a 375, I think it is highly unlikely that he will want to go through that process again for a change of calibre.

It is a big deal to be able to get permission to own such a calibre in the UK

You have to put forward a good argument for it

Ask on the stalking directory - I know someone on there who has given up shooting, he had a CZ in .375 that might still be for sale

Cogswell and harrison made beautiful rifles based on mauser actions. I would go for one of them if it is in good shape. 2k is a good price for a rifle like that if it has been properly maintained. Fit is important, but when shooting a .375, the recoil isnt terrible, but it is in a different class than a .30-06. You will want to look up some of the threads on this forum on managing recoil before you scope yourself or smack your index finger on the trigger guard.

Other than that, its a great caliber. Learn to shoot it well. I know @IvW shot it down, but as mentioned above, getting approved for a specific caliber is a royal pain in the UK, so there really isn't any going back now. Get some decent ammunition for it and you will not be undergunned for anything you find yourself hunting.

Concur a 9 pound 375 with a scope kicks half of what a 9 pound 338 Winchester does.

UKfingers, send NJC110381 a PM. He lives in the UK and will be glad to share what he has learned about purchasing and shooting a larger bore rifle in your part of the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.