Fill this Rifle Gap

Aaron N

AH legend
Joined
Nov 18, 2014
Messages
3,037
Reaction score
5,069
Location
Alberta, Canada
Media
7
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Good morning Gents,

I have a problem that only the AH Enablers can solve.

I picked up two barreled actions last night. One is a 6.5x55 built on a Mod 98, and the other is a 8x57 built on a Husquvarna. I need help to come up with ideas for the 8mm. Here’s my current stable:

-6.5x54
-270
-280 Ross
-7x57
-30-06
-308
-300H&H
-8x57
-8x68s
-375H&H
-450/400
-505 Gibbs

Right now I leaning towards 6.5x57 or 68s, maybe 318WR, or even another Ross (280 Rimless). Based on your guys’ tendencies I know the 9.3x62 and 35 Whelen, or even 404 flags will be coming out strong! We all know how much members love spending others members money, so let me hear what INTERESTING cartridge you’d build with my money.
 
What about a 68 squared (6.8x68)? I wonder if that’s been wildcatted?
 
You NEED a 416 Taylor!
 
Looks like you have the 8mm’s covered.

Why not go smaller with a quarter bore? Maybe a 25-06 or 257WBY to fill that gap below 6.5mm.

EDIT - Apologies, you said interesting… How about a 257ROB or 257ROB-IMPROVED?
 
Last edited:
Looks like you have the 8mm’s covered.

Why not go smaller with a quarter bore? Maybe a 25-06 or 257WBY to fill that gap below 6.5mm.

EDIT - Apologies, you said interesting… How about a 257ROB or 257ROB-IMPROVED?
I figured a quarter bore would come up. To be honest, I have no experience with them!
 
I figured a quarter bore would come up. To be honest, I have no experience with them!
Stone cold killers.

And no experience is just a learning opportunity.
 
The biggest gap in your impressive inventory is in 9mm. So, I suggest 9.3x62, or 9.3x64, or 338 win mag, In medium calibers.

other option is in the realm of 40-ies, rimless cartridges. So, in this next level, I suggest 416 rigby.
 
Would make a good kids deer gun?
Depending on the size of the child and marksmanship skills. Might want to stay away from a 257WBY until they grow into their mid to late teens. 257ROB should be much easier and the 22HOR as @KMG Hunting Safaris suggested.
 
338-06 close to a 318 WR but easy to find components and ammo. Another would be a 358 Norma
338-06 A Sq Ackley Improved and 257 (x757) Ackley Improved.
 
The only thing you're really missing is a pellet gun for the backyard...
If I shot the squirrel, what would my dog spend his days trying to catch?!
 
Looks like you have the 8mm’s covered.

Why not go smaller with a quarter bore? Maybe a 25-06 or 257WBY to fill that gap below 6.5mm.

EDIT - Apologies, you said interesting… How about a 257ROB or 257ROB-IMPROVED?
I know you guys are US centric, but damn. With his new addition he already has the quarter bores covered as well with the two 6.5's unless he wants a really fast one. I am inclined to go with the 9.3 as well. It can be made into a significantly lighter rifle than a .375 and is about perfect for bear, hogs, red stag, wild boar and a lot of PG.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,264
Members
169,515
Latest member
RubyeShead
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top