Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Good morning Gents,

I have a problem that only the AH Enablers can solve.

I picked up two barreled actions last night. One is a 6.5x55 built on a Mod 98, and the other is a 8x57 built on a Husquvarna. I need help to come up with ideas for the 8mm. Here’s my current stable:

-6.5x54
-280 Ross
-7x57
-30-06
-300H&H
-8x57
-8x68s
-375H&H
-450/400
-505 Gibbs

Right now I leaning towards 6.5x57 or 68s, maybe 318WR, or even another Ross (280 Rimless). Based on your guys’ tendencies I know the 9.3x62 and 35 Whelen, or even 404 flags will be coming out strong! We all know how much members love spending others members money, so let me hear what INTERESTING cartridge you’d build with my money.

What about a 68 squared (6.8x68)? I wonder if that’s been wildcatted?

You NEED a 416 Taylor!

Looks like you have the 8mm’s covered.

Why not go smaller with a quarter bore? Maybe a 25-06 or 257WBY to fill that gap below 6.5mm.

EDIT - Apologies, you said interesting… How about a 257ROB or 257ROB-IMPROVED?

Last edited:

Why not go smaller with a quarter bore? Maybe a 25-06 or 257WBY to fill that gap below 6.5mm.

I figured a quarter bore would come up. To be honest, I have no experience with them!

I figured a quarter bore would come up. To be honest, I have no experience with them!
Stone cold killers.

And no experience is just a learning opportunity.

The biggest gap in your impressive inventory is in 9mm. So, I suggest 9.3x62, or 9.3x64, or 338 win mag, In medium calibers.

other option is in the realm of 40-ies, rimless cartridges. So, in this next level, I suggest 416 rigby.

Would make a good kids deer gun?
Depending on the size of the child and marksmanship skills. Might want to stay away from a 257WBY until they grow into their mid to late teens. 257ROB should be much easier and the 22HOR as @KMG Hunting Safaris suggested.

338-06 close to a 318 WR but easy to find components and ammo. Another would be a 358 Norma
338-06 A Sq Ackley Improved and 257 (x757) Ackley Improved.

The only thing you're really missing is a pellet gun for the backyard...
If I shot the squirrel, what would my dog spend his days trying to catch?!

I know you guys are US centric, but damn. With his new addition he already has the quarter bores covered as well with the two 6.5's unless he wants a really fast one. I am inclined to go with the 9.3 as well. It can be made into a significantly lighter rifle than a .375 and is about perfect for bear, hogs, red stag, wild boar and a lot of PG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.