Fear Mongering on AH about trophy import bans

Some of the best DG hunts we've been on involved "own-use" animals (for the Tribal communities' own-use; nothing may be kept.) But, the experience was most important, and will never be forgotten. Less hassle and expense following the hunt, the savings of which can be put forth toward future hunting adventures (and the associated wildlife protections.) I'm fine with my plastic replica tusks-the originals weren't coming home anyway, whether own-use or trophy! 'Thinking of opening a natural history museum for unwed mothers with what I've got hanging around already from a half-century of supporting wildlife conservation...I believe, with some species, you have the option to ship to friends in Canada et. al. for safekeeping in the meantime if you absolutely must have your trophies home at some point.
*We did get to ceremoniously enjoy them for 1 day after the hunt (and then the faux-reminders by the fire at home!)
1640119589815.jpeg
1640119713212.jpeg

Since we are on the subject of replicas, specifically elephant tusks, what happens to the actual tusks from said elephant since they can’t be imported?

They get a very shiny tag attached and put in a government vault. The PHs can comment on what happens after that...Sarcastically, I think they eventually get sold at Chinese auction to the highest sponsor of corruption. :p 'Guessing in reality they are in a time capsule, and will be sold/auctioned off when such is allowed once more...Not a bad thing to place in a vault considering the value of African money!

I’ve seen piles of tusks and rhino horn being burned, don’t know if they still do that. I had a PAC elephant tusk reproduction done years ago, it’s made of styrofoam and light as a feather! Is there any one out there that can make a replica with approximately the same weight of the real tusk? I would be more inclined to get replicas done if a taxidermist can reproduce the feeling and weight of horn and tusks.

I’ve seen piles of tusks and rhino horn being burned, don’t know if they still do that. I had a PAC elephant tusk reproduction done years ago, it’s made of styrofoam and light as a feather! Is there any one out there that can make a replica with approximately the same weight of the real tusk? I would be more inclined to get replicas done if a taxidermist can reproduce the feeling and weight of horn and tusks.
The idiots drag out a big pile of ivory whenever they want to make a new anti poaching statement and put a match to the pile and burn millions of dollars worth of ivory in doing so. Sheer idiocy!

i'll fill 'em w/ concrete for $50/inch ($60 for 4,500 psi). understand, this is an internet special just for AH members! 1.85 vs. 2.4 specific gravity-they'll be plenty heavy. Lightweight concrete would be on-par w/ ivory, and all kidding aside, you could fill the hollow plastic replicas and it'd be very realistic! Or sand/ w a plug-less messy, a bit lighter 1.5ish. S. Americans may consider alternative fill material.

Last edited:
The idiots drag out a big pile of ivory whenever they want to make a new anti poaching statement and put a match to the pile and burn millions of dollars worth of ivory in doing so. Sheer idiocy!
I have always wondered why those fools didn't sell all that ivory and use the proceeds to fight poaching. Putting legal ivory into the system reduces the value of the poached/illegal ivory. Until the bureaucrats pull their heads out of their nether regions and recognize the stupidity of these virtue signaling displays, the elephants will suffer.
But the people putting on these displays are the same who think banning import/export of any trophy animal somehow helps the animals. Their ignorance is our opportunity. Take every opportunity to politely correct when you hear false information being propagated. You might not change the mind of the one spewing the misinformation, but the rest of the audience might hear the truth when it is put out there and be swayed.
Btw, the terms "trophy animal" or "trophy hunter" have been bastardized by the bunny huggers. My Grandson's 1st deer, a doe, is no less a trophy to him than if it was sporting 180" of antler. Don't let the left control the language.

Btw, the terms "trophy animal" or "trophy hunter" have been bastardized by the bunny huggers. My Grandson's 1st deer, a doe, is no less a trophy to him than if it was sporting 180" of antler. Don't let the left control the language.
Amen!

That’s a more precious trophy than an expert hunters hundredth record bull elk.

@Woodcarver You've answered your own question. If they released legal ivory onto the market, the value of poached/illegal ivory would be reduced. Hence the politician's/official's kickbacks/share of profit would be reduced.

For some years the UN has had a project whereby all major ivory seizures globally are DNA tested and matched to where the source animal lived in Africa. A consistent finding is that the source locations are those countries that have the strongest anti-ivory policies. Those countries with a legal industry are basically unrepresented in the seizures. ie a regulated trade minimizes the illegal trade and makes elephant populations sustainable.

That does not surprise me at all

Woodcarver, its a sick game we have billions worth of ivory and rhino horn to be sold on the market in South Africa alone but politicians and CITES are telling us what to do with our stockpiles.
I can bet you know we could even export 1000 live rhinos to China for them to breed rhino horn as the horns regrow after being cut.

Imagine the rhino horn price crash then?
Leave Africa to run its own resources Southern Africa countries have proven that they can do it with their own willdlife population boom.

Biggest reason for it was controled management and that equates to hunting.

Cecil, money WWF money and whatever other NGO money ends up in Cayman's Island not in Africa! I would not be surprized if the people who sit at the top of CITES has got connection to control the pricing of ivory and rhino horn.

Anyway my rant for the day have a great one.

View attachment 442872
If Emirates still is not going to Harare and Lusaka by the end of July then I will not be going. My hunts are in Zimbabwe and Zambia. Any other airline, even if they fly, makes it a logistical nightmare.

At this point it is not a headline but an actual travel ban. Now, I am fairly certain that things will clear up in coming months, but then again that's what we thought in 2020.
Emirates has suspended flights before and like Delta can’t be trusted anymore. I suggest you fly Qatar. I am watching their prices for an upcoming Zim safari.

View attachment 442923
Building ground blinds in my Outdoor Adventure Class
View attachment 442924
Archery
View attachment 442925
Watching a debate between Phillip Glass and Born Free USA
View attachment 442926
Scholastic Action Pistol Team
View attachment 442927

Taking students fishing during the school day!
View attachment 442928
This is happening all across the USA. Y’all help make it happen more!
There is an ugly bearded Texan on your screen!
keep up the good work.
Philip

The burning is usually in Kenya where they’ve no reputation for conservation.

I have a few skull mounts and many people that visit my trophy room have 2 comments, 1 is they had no idea that there is so many different species of ducks and geese in the US ,2 is they don’t care for the skulls. Granted most are friends of my wife so I gravitate towards shoulder and pedestal mounts. The 1 reproduction I do have was from a PAC elephant and importation was not an option.
My wife is the opposite. She doesn’t like full taxidermy but isn’t bothered by skulls. She finds them “cleaner” somehow. Maybe it’s the fur?

Certain animals really need a full mount to preserve the color, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross