Fear Mongering on AH about trophy import bans

3F2C4F03-BAC8-42B9-A8D9-CA141F84EC16.jpeg
As I sit here in my Trophy room looking at my replica mounts I have to agree, they are exactly the same as actual taxidermy. I’ve had a couple keen eyed hunters come in and call my bluff but for the most part everyone else seems to just be in awe of my hunting prowess!

View attachment 442615As I sit here in my Trophy room looking at my replica mounts I have to agree, they are exactly the same as actual taxidermy. I’ve had a couple keen eyed hunters come in and call my bluff but for the most part everyone else seems to just be in awe of my hunting prowess!
You need a new 3D printer…and get an appointment set up with an optometrist. ;)

View attachment 442615As I sit here in my Trophy room looking at my replica mounts I have to agree, they are exactly the same as actual taxidermy. I’ve had a couple keen eyed hunters come in and call my bluff but for the most part everyone else seems to just be in awe of my hunting prowess!

I’m worried about you dude…

All you had to do was post the picture. No explanation needed! LMAO

Leftists, are like a plague of Locusts. They are hell bent on destroying, or cancelling, anything that they don't like. They cant help themselves, because its a sickness.

With the escalating numbers of brainwashed minions on the left, it's only a matter of time. 10, 20, or 30 years?

If they keep chipping away at the edges, sooner or later, they get to the center.

How many pounds each side?

When I first read the OP's post, I could kinda see his point. If things are exaggerated and thrown way out of proportion, then perhaps it does become "fear mongering" and is that really helpful?
But at the same time, if warning signs are dismissed and the attitude of "that would never happen" is formed, then (historically) that's when the blindside hits with a real hard dose of reality!
Maybe it's a matter of determining what's real and what is too much and simply fearmongering."
As I continued to read through this, my thoughts changed a bit. (Well they changed considerably with post #8 lol) and then in post #10 when he wrote "You should not be seeing the trophy as the be-all-end-all. The experience should be the priority but unfortunately people focus on materialistic possessions." Well, he may not be entirely wrong with his ideals, but let's be a little bit realistic. Most first time hunters ARE going to want to bring their animals back home. Many repeatedly returning hunters are going to continue to want to have mounts brought back. Yes, there are some that won't, and it could be due to cost, lack of available room, personal preference, etc. And yes, at times a replica may be an option...... but unless there are shoulder mount (etc) replicas that I'm unaware of, then it's certainly not an option in every case.
This is obvious when you read HONEST posts such as the one above by @R.M.C. I think that many others feel the exact same way.
The bottom line is that it's very naive to believe that the banning of trophy imports will not change the number of hunters willing to go hunt these areas. More than naive really. And this will affect not only the people who rely on hunting as an income (either directly or indirectly.... just think of the amount of people involved. It's mind boggling!) but it will have a HUGE impact on the animals. I'm sure many of you on here, and probably ALL of you that have been to Africa have heard the saying "If it pays, it stays." Well what happens if all trophy imports are banned and as a result an animal no longer "pays"?
The truth of the matter is that banning trophy imports will hurt the trophy hunting industry, which in turn hurts the conservation of wildlife. To argue that is ridiculous.
So, if we have people overreacting and thinking that the sky is falling...... So what? That's a much better scenario than under-reacting and for everyone to have their heads in the sand, not doing anything, and then wondering "What happened?"

Seriously??

When I first read the OP's post, I could kinda see his point. If things are exaggerated and thrown way out of proportion, then perhaps it does become "fear mongering" and is that really helpful?
But at the same time, if warning signs are dismissed and the attitude of "that would never happen" is formed, then (historically) that's when the blindside hits with a real hard dose of reality!
Maybe it's a matter of determining what's real and what is too much and simply fearmongering."
As I continued to read through this, my thoughts changed a bit. (Well they changed considerably with post #8 lol) and then in post #10 when he wrote "You should not be seeing the trophy as the be-all-end-all. The experience should be the priority but unfortunately people focus on materialistic possessions." Well, he may not be entirely wrong with his ideals, but let's be a little bit realistic. Most first time hunters ARE going to want to bring their animals back home. Many repeatedly returning hunters are going to continue to want to have mounts brought back. Yes, there are some that won't, and it could be due to cost, lack of available room, personal preference, etc. And yes, at times a replica may be an option...... but unless there are shoulder mount (etc) replicas that I'm unaware of, then it's certainly not an option in every case.
This is obvious when you read HONEST posts such as the one above by @R.M.C. I think that many others feel the exact same way.
The bottom line is that it's very naive to believe that the banning of trophy imports will not change the number of hunters willing to go hunt these areas. More than naive really. And this will affect not only the people who rely on hunting as an income (either directly or indirectly.... just think of the amount of people involved. It's mind boggling!) but it will have a HUGE impact on the animals. I'm sure many of you on here, and probably ALL of you that have been to Africa have heard the saying "If it pays, it stays." Well what happens if all trophy imports are banned and as a result an animal no longer "pays"?
The truth of the matter is that banning trophy imports will hurt the trophy hunting industry, which in turn hurts the conservation of wildlife. To argue that is ridiculous.
So, if we have people overreacting and thinking that the sky is falling...... So what? That's a much better scenario than under-reacting and for everyone to have their heads in the sand, not doing anything, and then wondering "What happened?"
I have been lucky enough to have been to Africa three times. I have a roomful of "the real things" which I sweated and bled for and which I would not trade for replicas. It took me many decades to fulfill that dream and I am proud to say that I contributed to the welfare of many African people. The meat fed families, money supported PHs, outfitters, airlines, taxidermists and many others. I would love to return but age, health concerns and finances say otherwise.

I doubt seriously if I would have gone knowing I couldn't bring back a physical memento of those hunts along with all the memories. Every time I look at my animals I relive all the details of that particular hunt from start to finish.

Yes, I am concerned by the rumblings of this ban, that restriction, and all the blatting and bleating of the activists, antis and other assorted wierdos, but I haven't really seen much, if any of it bear fruit yet. It is something we must be aware of and continually guard against. It is similar to the GCA of 1968, bans and restrictions on ammo types, mag capacity, hunting seasons, ad nauseum. The plan is to peck away at all we stand for until we have nothing left. But as the old saying goes, "The best laid plans ----". I

Meanwhile I have my next hunt planned 27 April till 1st of May, yes I am a local and hunt mostly for meat but when a bucket list specie presents itself and I can finance it I will hunt it.
No more trophy exports means no more taxidermy industry or the lack of it as only a few will survive for the local hunters.

The more the anti hunting brigade moves to replicas and non trophy hunts the less we will see the "ART of Taxidermy" survive.

I definetely wish no harm to anyone who has a piece of the pie in the hunting game and taxidermy has been around for ages since the first hunters on earth killed its first antlered animal.

I am living in a country that banned a lot of species including 4 of the big 5. It definitely impacts my choices. I still will hunt big five species. But regarding argali species we also cannot import those. And I have no plans to hunt them in the future. I will go mountain hunting in the future I hope( bucket list thing) but I am not willing to spend a whole lot of money on a sheep I cannot import.

And that kind of money is also needed. Ask yourself the question who of you will still hunt an argali if you could not import it. Not all will say no but I think a majority would not hunt them and will sought after a species he can import with the same kind of experience.

So these kind of discussions are not fear mongering but the way we as hunters can inform each other before it is to late.

I'm referring of course to the many posts that have been made about trophy import bans over the last few years. Guys, I get it. You are concerned about the future of hunting as an industry and seeing clickbait headlines from the Daily Mail and Wall Street Journal can be upsetting. Remember that these articles are just that, articles. They have no real effect on hunting itself 99.9% percent of the time and it's mostly baseless propaganda. It's been happening since 2015 and since then nothing much has actually happened. Remember how the media thought it was imminent that Africa would ban hunting soon after? I do, and it must be really disappointing for the animal rights lobby that nothing has actually happened. Trophy import bans are just a pathetic and spiteful attempt to try and subvert African countries and their constitutions. You can tell by the manner of the articles and headlines just what they really think about us, stupid Africans too helpless to say 'no.'

What I'm trying to get at is that the frequent posts about import bans are often inflammatory and have little basis in reality. Unless it's something important, please keep it to yourself or at least don't make it bigger than it really is. I mean no disrespect to anyone here and I hope you all find your discussions to be productive. Thanks
Yes, because it quickly becomes misinformation even here on AH. Just like the recent Africa travel ban. There have been some right here in AH lamenting the “fact” that they were going to miss another Safari. Nonsense! It’s hard to believe that people will not simply read more than a headline.
PG

I encourage all of you that have an interest in Trophy importation, especially those of you that say that it is all talk, to review a little on Google of Countries that have already enacted trophy import bans. Within the last 2 years even. Or ask DieJager if this is all talk..........FWB

Wilhelm says we have to be realistic.

Well, I am, since yesterday wolf hunting has been prohibited in my country.

Are they (the antis, greenies....) going to stop there ?

Of course not, they have an agenda, the goal is a vegan world, they are just doing it step by step, as much as they can.

We have to confront them at every step they take.

Remember behind the ara is the factory food fims, it is just a mix of food,rurql lands control and neo colonial masterrace behavior the world thought it was done with in 1945,but that chance nope.

A trophy import ban will dissuade legions of those people from ever making that first trip. I assume that is exactly the outcome the anti-hunting activists want and it would be disastrous for the industry as a whole - to include not only game farm owners, but sponsors like Riflepermits, Tag, Travel Express, Life Form, etc., etc. Perhaps even AfricaHunting.com.

It will also persuade people to reconfigure their hunting. Why should one go for a $80K Botswana tusker hunt when they can go to Zimbabwe and shoot a tuskless at a fraction of the cost?

Thats great, but why not everybody else? I'm unsure if I'll get any honest response.
There have been god replies to this already but to add my two cents, I will explain why I have no interest in a trophy replica.

A replica is simply not the animal you shot. The small number of trophies I have from domestic hunts are special to me as they are the actual animal I’ve hunted and killed. There will be differences between them and any other members of the same species I shoot in the future. They are unique and they are real. I can touch the antlers of my 6 point mule deer and I am touching the same antlers I held when I was photographed with him by my father on that evening three months ago. I will do it 50 years from now and still be touching something real, something that was there. No deer ever was or ever will be exactly the same.

I imagine that after a hunter has killed enough game it becomes less important as their walls fill up but a trophy is more than just a head on a wall. That’s why we don’t just buy heads, we earn them, one way or another. I might display another hunter’s animal head in my wall if it were unique or historic but it would not be mine, it would not be a trophy to me.

A replica could be okay and there are situations where it could be the best option (damaged/lost trophies for instance) but I think the general aversion to them stems from them not being real. It’s not a thing that has ever lived or strived or felt the warmth of the sun on its face.

I think there’s a lot that anti-trophy/non-hunters don’t understand about the emotions and philosophy behind men keeping trophies. There is a human need to brag but I think that often all they see. Hunters love, respect, and admire the animals we kill. Trophies are the immortalization of and animal and a hunt. Most animals have shirt lives and the trophy allows a creature to live on in the memory of not only the man who has taken it but all those whom chooses to share it with.

I don’t know if a replica can do that.

Yes, because it quickly becomes misinformation even here on AH. Just like the recent Africa travel ban. There have been some right here in AH lamenting the “fact” that they were going to miss another Safari. Nonsense! It’s hard to believe that people will not simply read more than a headline.
PG
The travel ban is real, according to my travel agent so its not that crazy to pay attention to stuff in the news. Lots of people had to cancel or at least postpone safaris for covid , it's not all "fake news" and people blowing things out of proportion. If all the airlines stopped accepting trophies from hunters, that's all it would take to fuck up the hunting industry. Its not fear mongering, they're legit concerns. Just my two cents

PG

1640020055206.png

If Emirates still is not going to Harare and Lusaka by the end of July then I will not be going. My hunts are in Zimbabwe and Zambia. Any other airline, even if they fly, makes it a logistical nightmare.

At this point it is not a headline but an actual travel ban. Now, I am fairly certain that things will clear up in coming months, but then again that's what we thought in 2020.

I think you did that zebra a favor. Looks like it's suffered from a reduced gene pool and genetic deformities. A mercy on the breeding population, I'm sure.

The lion, on the other hand, seems a suitably robust fellow, if admittedly one with poor taste in barbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross