Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Yet another shark attack in Australian waters.
Possibly a great white up mighty warm waters in Western Australian area of Broome - cable beach.

We seem to have had a lot of attacks this year.
Unprecedented and no one seems to know why.

I`m tipping a Tiger myself rather than a GW.
Australia and its waters if one ventures into them at any time of the year can be a lottery.
Statistics prove that crossing the road is more dangerous...but I feel easier crossing the road.

As an aside a few weeks ago a drone was deployed to drop a life saving device to a couple of boys in trouble in big waves. A good outcome was achieved.

I cant see why we cannot drop explosive devices/grenades from drones on sharks to drive them away from swimming beaches.

Well the Greens might arc up of course.

I would think tiger too as the waters are way too hot for GWS.
Like when I’d go flying - driving to the airport was more dangerous than actually flying.
But I always kept my mind on flying and didn’t allow my mind to wander.
My dad used to be the one who was way out from the beach surfing.
After seeing the movie Jaws and kept way in near the very young!

Could it be that more inexperienced folks are venturing out into the water due to covid that don't realize that they have to share the water with the sharks?

I know that here in the Rocky Mountains that there have been all kinds of idiot's camping and hiking around. Not to mention that they don't know how to take care of a fire back when they were allowed, and even when they weren't.

I still don’t like sharks

Love the scenery and the history of Broome. Spent some wonderful times there, and have done dozens of dives along the Western Aust coast......sharks are always present....( often my favorites...the Bronze Whaler and the Tiger.).....but thankfully never saw a GW.....We of the Never-Never assume a certain level of risk, whether on land or water.........still, sorry to hear of it.................FWB.

I would think tiger too as the waters are way too hot for GWS.
Like when I’d go flying - driving to the airport was more dangerous than actually flying.
But I always kept my mind on flying and didn’t allow my mind to wander.
My dad used to be the one who was way out from the beach surfing.
After seeing the movie Jaws and kept way in near the very young!
two thirds of all shark attacks take place in the thigh deep water !!
My wife (she loves diving) is fascinated by them ;I like them as much as rattlesnakes.
jaws.jpg

Unfortunately there are more sharks in car yards and industry than in the water and often more dangerous....BUT...its coming on summer in Oz and there will be more attacks/munches/deaths.
The Great W`s travel between South Africa and Oz on a yearly migration and make no distinction `tween black,white,red or yellow,fat or skinny,they just eat!
I will sit on the lawn under the garden sprinkler in summer.

I still don’t like sharks
@CBH
I have an understanding with sharks that works for me.
If they don't come out on land I won't venture into their water. So far I haven't seen any in my garden or hunting areas so I will uphold my end of the deal.
Bob

You Aussie’s have a beautiful country. But those sharks are the scariest creatures on Earth! Add the crocodiles, venomous snakes and spiders it just doesn’t seem fair! Sometimes there is a benefit to living in a cold climate!

You Aussie’s have a beautiful country. But those sharks are the scariest creatures on Earth! Add the crocodiles, venomous snakes and spiders it just doesn’t seem fair! Sometimes there is a benefit to living in a cold climate!
I’ll take any of them over bears, thank you.

Oz is very safe - just use common sense

I have been stung by a scorpion on a finger on right hand

The most pain I have EVER felt
2 days in hospital
Finger was totally numb for 8.5 days AND when I'd stand up I was like a pendulum

Only rock I have EVER not checked out before picking up!!

Tourists do stupid things here like going swimming in rough and dangerous surf when they are either very poor swimmers or totally non-swimmers

Other times putting themselves in danger in croc country - such as trying to "pet" a croc

Snakes - they do not check their surrounds etc and by not using common sense

Wait until it floods and bull sharks will arise
Found that in Wikipedia :oops: :

It has even been observed how bull sharks swam 1100 km from the sea up the Mississippi River.
In 1990, after a flood in a lake, some bull sharks were trapped at the golf club in Carbook, Logan City, Australia. Since then, the sharks have been living in this lake and are admired there as an attraction. Every month there is even a tournament called Shark Lake Challenge

two thirds of all shark attacks take place in the thigh deep water !!
My wife (she loves diving) is fascinated by them ;I like them as much as rattlesnakes.
View attachment 376899
That is such a scary photo I am not going to even ask if it is real.

Fish blood certainly attracts them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg