Fallow deer ammo choice

I've shot hundreds of fallow, and many with the 6.5x55 which is a perfect choice. Either of those loads will be fine. I handload the 140gn SST, they're fairly frangible but generally penetrate to the opposite side or exit.

My advice? Most of the best meat is the rear legs and backstraps. So just centre punch the shoulder and be done with it. ;)

Good luck. (y)

Try to get the 156gr Norma Oryx.
The 156 grain Norma Oryx is a great choice and there are several others available from Norma as well.
Find one that shoots well in your rifle and go for a double lung shot to save meat damage.
High neck shot will certainly put the lights out and save meat as well, but the target is tiny and you must be precise.
I also like the "brain pan" option to prevent meat damage, but this isn't always an option the animal gives you.

I've shot hundreds of fallow, and many with the 6.5x55 which is a perfect choice. Either of those loads will be fine. I handload the 140gn SST, they're fairly frangible but generally penetrate to the opposite side or exit.

My advice? Most of the best meat is the rear legs and backstraps. So just centre punch the shoulder and be done with it. ;)

Good luck. (y)

Good advice this. Fusion or SST both fine I reckon. If you can get European Ammo, tends to be loaded a bit hotter in the Swede. Enjoy your hunt!

Any load with a 130 gr and up bullet that shoots well in your rifle should do the job. Check out the Swift ammo with the 130gr Scirocco bullet.
I’ve only taken one fallow. I used a .41 mag handgun at 70 yds with a 210 gr Sierra. It went 20 yds, stopped, looked back and fell over.

Good luck. (y)

I've shot a few less fallow than that but the SST works fine for me too. I home load them for my 6.5x55.

Only experience I have of Fusions is in my .338 Win Mag. It's a good bullet too. But for what you want I think the SST will be ideal.

Doubletap shows they have a 6.5X55mm cartridge loaded with the 140 grain Nosler Partition at 2675 fps from a 22" barreled Tikka in stock, which with a few taps or clicks on your computer, tablet, or smart phone, can be delivered to your residence.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=303_361&product_id=431

Here's all the places Ammoseek found you can purchase the Norma Oryx 6.5X55mm cartridge on-line others have mentioned.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5x55mm?ikw=Oryx

Attachments

• Screenshot (727).png
    Screenshot (727).png
    440.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot (728).png
    Screenshot (728).png
    114.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Thank you all very much, I appreciate the information you all gave me. I am going to the range next weekend and whichever my rifle likes best will be going on the hunt!

This fall I will be hunting fallow deer and I will be taking my 6.5x55. The only factory ammo choices I have are federal fusion and hornady sst, I do not reload. Shots will more than likely be 50-150 yards. Which bullet will give me a quick kill, but not do too much meat damage on this small deer?
@MISportsman
I use the SSTs in my 25 and they don't move off the spot
Bob

140 Gr. Remington Core Lokt is also a good choice. My Swedes gobble up just about everything available and spits them out in small groups.
@Shootist43
Art a mate of mine was using 140 grainers in his 6.5/284. This pushes it a lot faster than the 6.5x55s. He was have a lot of thru and thru on the fallow with minimal expansion. He changed to the 120 grainers and all were bang flop. Judging by his experience I would start clear of the deep penetrating 156s.
Just my thoughts
Bob

there seems to be a 123 and 129 gn sst that might be interesting to try on smaller species.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Mate I use the 117gn SST at 3,300++fps even with high neck shots I still get bruising down to between the shoulders. Now I try and go for a low to mid chest shot behind the front leg.
The neck cut into rosettes and slow cooked make great venison pies.
Bob

Fallow deer are not all that big. Even a 100 grain bullet with a well placed shot will do at reasonable ranges.
Your 6.5 will be fine and use a heavy for caliber Bullet. The fallow aren’t hard to kill as long as you place your shot well.

bob,
the first fallow I ever shot was with a 25/06.
bullet used was a 100gn sierra soft point flat base, from memory at about 3300.
dropped on the spot.
I would not hesitate to use that again.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
My favorite 25 cal deer cartridge for as far as you are comfortable hitting them with.
20200314_103204.jpg

Take your pick Bruce. A 100 grain TTSX @3,600+ fps or
A 115 grain combined technology silver tip @ 3,300+ fps.
Shoots real flat out to 400 yards
Bob

@bruce moulds
My favorite 25 cal deer cartridge for as far as you are comfortable hitting them with.
View attachment 353468
Take your pick Bruce. A 100 grain TTSX @3,600+ fps or
A 115 grain combined technology silver tip @ 3,300+ fps.
Shoots real flat out to 400 yards
Bob

What cartridge is that Bob?

Don't think I've seen a rimmed 25 before.

Al.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.