www.spearsafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, PHASA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Benin, Burkina Faso, Mozambique, Tanzania, USA, Phillipines
Where was she aiming?

I heard three shots.
How many belonged to the client?

I'd say the second was the PH after watching and listening to the video. The second shot came right after the first and I heard a bolt being moved before the third.

I'd say the second was the PH after watching and listening to the video. The second shot came right after the first and I heard a bolt being moved before the third.
I thought the bolt was the PH's rifle after the second and third shot.
The way the bolt was worked, quickly and efficiently seemed like the work of a professional.
There are a lot of clients who just don't think to reload after taking a shot.
Not that she didn't...but the second reload sounds exactly like the first.

I did not see any bullet impact on the elephant or behavior as if it was shot. Of course it might have just dropped dead some hundred yards later.

Definitely would like to hear from @Spear Safaris about the story of this.

Shot elephants can be deceptive. An elephant shot through the heart may just turn and run, without showing much evidence of having been shot. Until it drops dead a few hundred yards away.

Agree with most (all?) that the second shot was almost certainly from the PH while less sure about the third.

My Ph’s guidance was that once you shoot at an elephant, keep shooting, regardless of the effect (or lack thereof) of the first shot. He also said I could try for a brain shot if I wanted, but if it was a miss, he recommended he take a back-up shot while I reloaded. Of course, his advice may have been impacted by the fact that we were about 300 yards from the Botswana border . . .

Where was she aiming?
She was going for a Shoulder, heart lung Shot, keep in mind that the angle of the camera is not the same as that of the hunter.

I thought the bolt was the PH's rifle after the second and third shot.
The way the bolt was worked, quickly and efficiently seemed like the work of a professional.
There are a lot of clients who just don't think to reload after taking a shot.
Not that she didn't...but the second reload sounds exactly like the first.

There was an agreement between the hunter and the PH that there Must be Back up shot or shots if possible so yes all comments here are accurate, 2 back up shots by the PH, in retrospect it looked like they were not needed as the Hunters was accurate and well placed.

She was going for a Shoulder, heart lung Shot, keep in mind that the angle of the camera is not the same as that of the hunter.

Thank you for the response. Was just curious as to where she aimed as it was obviously not a head shot. Thanks and congrats to her on the hunt.

Thanks for the response. Loved the video.
75 yds is short enough even I could track it that far (which is saying a lot).

great post

When I first read the thread title I thought it was about hunting elephants with spears and immediately opened the thread expecting to see/read something really different. Obviously it's not what I initially thought but still an interesting thread and video. Ok, fess up. Was I the only dumbass that thought that?

PS: I'm mostly kidding but the thread title did cause me a split second of confusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you