Double Rifle With A Difference

IvW, I too own a 7x65R/12GA combination gun. Mine is a BRNO, what make is yours?

Shot my first animal with the O/U. Was a nice eating Axis doe. Love this gun. Hit her on the move a little high and forward on the shoulder but the 286g swift A frame made her DRT.

IvW, I too own a 7x65R/12GA combination gun. Mine is a BRNO, what make is yours?

Mine is a Armi Renato Gamba, a beautifully engraved SPA Gardone. Very well regulated. @60 yards the bullet hole is exactly covered by a Brenneke Slug!

Although it has 28 inch barrels it is perfectly balanced.

Hi IvW, did you ever buy that double and hunt with it? How did it go? I went for a VC o/u in 375 Flanged Magnum. Its beautiful and light at 7.6 pounds and points bang on every time. This gives me all the finesse and also adds legal buffalo to the list. I am keeping mine open sights, some charging target range practice has reaffirmed that would be better should anything decide to come. I am sold on light o/u doubles, like a conductors wand not a broom handle.

We have a repeat client that hunts with a VC O&U .450-.400 3". When presses the trigger he hits exactly where he wants to hit. What a beautiful little rifle. I would love to have it. I think he bought it used at a very good price.

Penetration, but not pass through. Set up, but not too soon. More accuracy, less recoil. Use enough gun, but not too much.

@Tokoloshe Safaris I have the same VC 450/400 O/U. When I got it as part of a trade I didn't want to like it because it wasn't traditional, so I planned on shooting it and selling or trading it. Well it fits me perfectly and when I started shooting it: It just plain flat out tore the centrer out of the target at 50 and 100. and I regularly shoot the steel gong at 200. It is just a nice well handling rifle. Our last safari my PH would have been very happy to have me leave it behind also.

I cannot get away from this.....now I am looking at a Krieghoff Drilling....double 12ga over 9.3x74R with 9.3x74R insert barrel(double 9.3 with shottie barrel), 7x57R insert barrel nice bergstutzen with shottie barrel and 22 Hornet insert barrel then gives you perfect Bergstutzen for the small duikers etc and if you call in a bushpig while doing so you are ready to go with the 9.3x74r.......

I think your three barrel set would give you a great rifle set. Throw the case in the truck and you can set it up to hunt any plains game you encounter. And the shotie barrels for birds and vermin.

Then add a nice drilling, as you said a man can't own to many rifles.

It is the Christmas season so you should buy yourself a new one

It is a drilling single barrel set 12ga/12ga over 9.3x74R
With 3 barrel inserts
9.3x94R
7x57R
22 Hornet.

Chop and change as needed....

IvW, talk about FLEXIBILITY!!! One could hardly ask for more. Show us some Pics. if you get it.

It is a drilling single barrel set 12ga/12ga over 9.3x74R
With 3 barrel inserts
9.3x94R
7x57R
22 Hornet.

Chop and change as needed....
That is a very specific set of requirements.
Finding such a gun would be a hunt in itself.
Equivalent to trophy pictures with a Unicorn.

Have you inquired with Krieghoff for commissioning a build?

I cannot get away from this.....now I am looking at a Krieghoff Drilling....double 12ga over 9.3x74R with 9.3x74R insert barrel(double 9.3 with shottie barrel), 7x57R insert barrel nice bergstutzen with shottie barrel and 22 Hornet insert barrel then gives you perfect Bergstutzen for the small duikers etc and if you call in a bushpig while doing so you are ready to go with the 9.3x74r.......
Now that would be a find indeed - and not just a unicorn - on the order of trophy photos of a pinto patterned unicorn with a sticker or two. I have never actually seen large caliber inserts for a Krieghoff drilling. I have a .22 lr and .22 magnum set fitted for one of my drillings and they work as advertised - the .22 magnum is particularly useful.

There have been some cheap attempts for rifle inserts done here in the States, but to be of any utility, an insert barrel needs finely adjustable base shims (.22 variants) or at the muzzle so that its POI can be adjusted to the POI of the scope and permanent rifle barrel. Perhaps @HWL will tune in, but I do recall a German company that made larger inserts. Way back in the day, there was a company called "Fritz" or something like that. Looking on the web, Keppler seems the go to company these days. I suspect you will need deep pockets. :cry:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.33 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.34 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.35 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.36 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
That is a very specific set of requirements.
Finding such a gun would be a hunt in itself.
Equivalent to trophy pictures with a Unicorn.

Have you inquired with Krieghoff for commissioning a build?
K will build it....now also looking at Merkel combo(K combo only availibel in 20ga), 12ga/9.3×74R but do not see that they make barrel inserts...I have to have 12ga and only want steel receiver....
This combo would do the same for me and would be cheaper however will have to find out if Merkel make the full length barrel inserts....

Now that would be a find indeed - and not just a unicorn - on the order of trophy photos of a pinto patterned unicorn with a sticker or two. I have never actually seen large caliber inserts for a Krieghoff drilling. I have a .22 lr and .22 magnum set fitted for one of my drillings and they work as advertised - the .22 magnum is particularly useful.

There have been some cheap attempts for rifle inserts done here in the States, but to be of any utility, an insert barrel needs finely adjustable base shims (.22 variants) or at the muzzle so that its POI can be adjusted to the POI of the scope and permanent rifle barrel. Perhaps @HWL will tune in, but I do recall a German company that made larger inserts. Way back in the day, there was a company called "Fritz" or something like that. Looking on the web, Keppler seems the go to company these days. I suspect you will need deep pockets. :cry:

Krieghoff make from 22 Hornet up to 9.3x74R full length barrel inserts. My preferance would be a o/u combo but K only make them in 20ga which is no good for me I need 12ga. That is why I looked at the K drilling which is availible in 12ga but expensive. . Merkel make combo in 12ga but seems they do not make barrel inserts. Lock up seems the same as S2(Blaser) so very strong...
So first prize would be 12ga/9.3×74R with full length insert barrels in 7x57R and 22 Hornet

I like the idea of the multiple barrel set O/U.
12 bore, 9.3x74R, 7x57R...etc.

I do know that Beretta makes O/U rifles/shotgun sets.
Not sure of the quality.

I think I will stay German make with German calibers....

I've used Browning Superposed and Merkel O/U shotguns and the only downside that I see to them is that they need to be completely open to load the bottom barrel which can be a problem since the normal process is to load the cartridge with the trigger hand while holding the gun by the forearm with the other hand.

I thought sxs or o/u needed to be open properly to reload. I reload with my left hand not my trigger hand.

Hunting with a combination does not require such a high speed reload for general hunting as would be the cas when dealing with high volume dove hunting for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg