Double Rifle With A Difference

sxs or o/u needed to be open properly to reload. I reload with my left hand not my trigger hand.

As I think about it, I see the problem. After firing I'd open the O/U completely which ejects the hulls, but the action needs to remain completely open to load the bottom barrel. Since I was holding the gun by the forend and resting the stock on my hip as I got two shells and tried to insert them into the chambers, the tendency was for the action to close ever so slightly, which meant that I'd need to grip the gun again with my right hand to open it completely so as to insert the shell. The better way to do it is as described by IvW: open the gun, hold it with the trigger hand by the grip, let gravity on the barrels hold the gun open and load the chambers with the left hand (right handed shooter). I'll have to try that next time I'm out. It may even work with a SxS. Thanks!!

So my search continues.....

I am looking for a "Africa" Bergstutzen......one set of barrels, 24 inches long 9.3x74R/7x57R and a second barrel set 12ga/7x65R 26 inches long....shotgun barrel with removeable chokes.....

Merkel make 3 models, only one with double Kersten lock the others have Jaeger lock....

Cannot find proper info on Heym models in these calibers, Merkel yes. Krieghoff only do 20ga in combi, I need 12ga....

I've thought about this a lot. To my mind a double with scope should be an O/U since the additional opening angle gives more space under the scope's eyepiece to reload. My perfect pair of doubles is a 30 caliber for plains game O/U, single trigger (for one consistent length-of-pull), ejectors, and scope. It can be a rimless cartidge to maximize ammo availabilty and variety. Something like...

49863746691_f1679a0010_z.jpg

The second double of the perfect pair would be a dangerous game double. 375 caliber or greater at 2,000 fps or greater, SxS, express sights, double triggers, ejectors and a rimmed cartridge. I'd like either an articulated front trigger or the ability to pull the rear trigger with the pad of my trigger finger instead of the first joint. I've given up on the second option so I'd really like an articulated front trigger.

The DG double should point as well as it aims and it's got to lock up like a New York bank vault. I've had some bird doubles that would shoot themselves open...I have zero tolerence for it in a duck gun much less a DG double.

I don't have my DG double...yet. My love at first sight double rifle was a Joseph Lang .470 NE - I like the deep fences on his double rifles. But I doubt I can afford one and I really don't know much about their reliabity or ruggedness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought about this a lot. To my mind a double with scope should be an O/U since the additional opening angle gives more space under the scope's eyepiece to reload. My perfect pair of doubles is a 30 caliber for plains game O/U, single trigger (for one consistent length-of-pull), ejectors, and scope. It can be a rimless cartidge to maximize ammo availabilty and variety. Something like...

View attachment 402636

The second double of the perfect pair would be a dangerous game double. 375 caliber or greater at 2,000 fps or greater, SxS, express sights, double triggers, ejectors and a rimmed cartridge. I'd like either an articulated front trigger or the ability to pull the rear trigger with the pad of my trigger finger instead of the first joint. I've given up on the second option so I'd really like an articulated front trigger.

The DG double should point as well as it aims and it's got to lock up like a New York bank vault. I've had some bird doubles that would shoot themselves open...I have zero tolerence for it in a duck gun much less a DG double.

I don't have my DG double...yet. My love at first sight double rifle was a Joseph Lang .470 NE - I like the deep fences on his double rifles. But I doubt I can afford one and I really don't know much about their reliabity or ruggedness.
You misunderstand what @IvW is looking for. He wants 2 calibers in the same double barrel set with two triggers so he can choose which barrel (and therefore caliber) to shoot. This is what a "Bergstutzen" is...two calibers in the same double barrel set.

I have quite a few different rifles. I also own and use a few not so ordinary doubles. A poor mans double slug shotgun with 24 inch barrels, a 9.3x74R/12ga combination and a 7x65R/12ga combination.

Ever since using a european clients o/u 9.3x74R double fitted with a scope I have longed for such a double for my own hunting.

I want something different but practical for my own hunting.

I am currently looking at a 9.3x74R O/U with scope mounts, that is available with a second set of barrels also with scope mounts in 7x64R and to top it off a set of 12ga 2 3/4 barrels.

I could not imagine a better package for taking one gun case and go hunting. The O/U set-up and scope mounts will make for much more versatility than open sights only.

Any thoughts or fellow AH members using O/U doubles for hunting?
I ONCE OWNED A FINNISH MODEL, AND HAD NO COMPLAINTS- BUT IT WAS VERY PLAIN. THEN I HAD A BRNO FROM THE CZECH REPUBLIC, ABOUT A 1995 OR 2000 MODEL. IT WAS NOT AS WELL MADE AND REQUIRED TRIPS TO THE GUNSMITH. I NOW SHOOT A BLASER K95 BERGSTUTZEN AND
REGULATION HAS BEEN A TRIP. THIS TYPE RIFLE IS ALWAYS PROBLEMATIC. I AM NOT SURE I WOULD DO IT AGAIN. THEY FASCINATE BUT BRING A HIGH MAINTENANCE PARTNERSHIP TO THE HUNTING STAND.

View attachment 402636

That is a gorgeous looking rifle, please can you post a full shot Rubberhead? Did you get the wood especially finished or did it come like that?

I have quite a few different rifles. I also own and use a few not so ordinary doubles. A poor mans double slug shotgun with 24 inch barrels, a 9.3x74R/12ga combination and a 7x65R/12ga combination.

Ever since using a european clients o/u 9.3x74R double fitted with a scope I have longed for such a double for my own hunting.

I want something different but practical for my own hunting.

I am currently looking at a 9.3x74R O/U with scope mounts, that is available with a second set of barrels also with scope mounts in 7x64R and to top it off a set of 12ga 2 3/4 barrels.

I could not imagine a better package for taking one gun case and go hunting. The O/U set-up and scope mounts will make for much more versatility than open sights only.

Any thoughts or fellow AH members using O/U doubles for hunting?
This may be way off, however, I'm hooked post reading all their PDF's .. Stunning imo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.52 AM.png
    796.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.53 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.56 AM.png
    581.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.53.57 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 104
That is a gorgeous looking rifle, please can you post a full shot Rubberhead? Did you get the wood especially finished or did it come like that?

Wow. Thanks for asking. I wish I knew more about the gun's history. It is a Browning express made in Belgium in 1981 but doesn’t perfectly fit the catalog specs for the gun. The stock dimensions and 25 lines/inch cut checkering are exactly from the catalog as is the Browning buttplate but it has a cartridge carrier and the glossy stock instead of an oil-finished stock. I don’t know whether it was done by special order at the factory or after the fact.

The wood to metal fit is perfect everywhere and the engraving is signed (A. Van Cuyck) where most Grade I express rifles were not signed. I think that means it was cut by a Master Engraver. The engraving on the cartridge carrier matches the engraving on the receiver so I suspect that the gun was a special order request including the sling studs but the scope was after the fact.

49864050167_545597fe00_c.jpg

The scope mount is without a doubt after market and the scope was made in 2005.

I actually don’t think the gun was fired for 40 years after leaving the factory. The zerust protectant was still on the gun but had dried and was difficult to remove. Luckily one of the Hoppe’s solvents took it right off but I had to work it under the ejectors. The scope scared me at first because the windage was so far off but it was because someone had run it all the way to the stop on the left. I counted clicks and centered it and it was very close from there. Other than sighting it in, it was ready to hunt when I got it. BTW - the antlers are just a prop - I killed that deer with a stupid old bolt gun...

51188000255_5ab30621b6_b.jpg

I'm a double rifle infidel too. No SxS for me. Mine is a Zoli 9.3x74R O/U. I love the idea of drillings and I'd like to someday own one but I find the idea of actually hunting with a triple barrel gun unappealing. Too big, bulky and unwieldy. Yet, there's no denying the craftsmanship a lot of drillings are blessed with and some combination of 12ga, 9.3x74R and 7x57 would be cool as hell.

I'm a double rifle infidel too. No SxS for me. Mine is a Zoli 9.3x74R O/U. I love the idea of drillings and I'd like to someday own one but I find the idea of actually hunting with a triple barrel gun unappealing. Too big, bulky and unwieldy. Yet, there's no denying the craftsmanship a lot of drillings are blessed with and some combination of 12ga, 9.3x74R and 7x57 would be cool as hell.

I agree and actually came close to buying a Browning European Classic in 9.3x74R...I regret not getting it....

What a beautiful rifle @Rubberhead . Thanks for posting!
Thanks so much - I really struggled at first because I was shopping for a shooter but ended up with what I think was someone's safe queen. I thought about the guy who owned it before, I'm sure, he bought it because she was an uncommon beauty. I'm sure he treasured her, at least for a while, and showed it off to friends or at least stared at it himself. What did that get him? I assume he's gone now, someone has got his money and some else has his rifle. I thought, I can continue that tradition or I can break it right here and now and start putting some miles and memories on it. I bought a rustic bound leather journal and have kept track of every bullet I've run through the gun including the most recent one that killed a deer...more to come, God willing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg