Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
IvW, I too own a 7x65R/12GA combination gun. Mine is a BRNO, what make is yours?

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Texas, New Jersey, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Colorado, South Dakota, Bahamas
Shot my first animal with the O/U. Was a nice eating Axis doe. Love this gun. Hit her on the move a little high and forward on the shoulder but the 286g swift A frame made her DRT.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
IvW, I too own a 7x65R/12GA combination gun. Mine is a BRNO, what make is yours?

Mine is a Armi Renato Gamba, a beautifully engraved SPA Gardone. Very well regulated. @60 yards the bullet hole is exactly covered by a Brenneke Slug!

Although it has 28 inch barrels it is perfectly balanced.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Hi IvW, did you ever buy that double and hunt with it? How did it go? I went for a VC o/u in 375 Flanged Magnum. Its beautiful and light at 7.6 pounds and points bang on every time. This gives me all the finesse and also adds legal buffalo to the list. I am keeping mine open sights, some charging target range practice has reaffirmed that would be better should anything decide to come. I am sold on light o/u doubles, like a conductors wand not a broom handle.

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
We have a repeat client that hunts with a VC O&U .450-.400 3". When presses the trigger he hits exactly where he wants to hit. What a beautiful little rifle. I would love to have it. I think he bought it used at a very good price.

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Penetration, but not pass through. Set up, but not too soon. More accuracy, less recoil. Use enough gun, but not too much.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
@Tokoloshe Safaris I have the same VC 450/400 O/U. When I got it as part of a trade I didn't want to like it because it wasn't traditional, so I planned on shooting it and selling or trading it. Well it fits me perfectly and when I started shooting it: It just plain flat out tore the centrer out of the target at 50 and 100. and I regularly shoot the steel gong at 200. It is just a nice well handling rifle. Our last safari my PH would have been very happy to have me leave it behind also.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
I cannot get away from this.....now I am looking at a Krieghoff Drilling....double 12ga over 9.3x74R with 9.3x74R insert barrel(double 9.3 with shottie barrel), 7x57R insert barrel nice bergstutzen with shottie barrel and 22 Hornet insert barrel then gives you perfect Bergstutzen for the small duikers etc and if you call in a bushpig while doing so you are ready to go with the 9.3x74r.......

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
I think your three barrel set would give you a great rifle set. Throw the case in the truck and you can set it up to hunt any plains game you encounter. And the shotie barrels for birds and vermin.

Then add a nice drilling, as you said a man can't own to many rifles.

It is the Christmas season so you should buy yourself a new one

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
It is a drilling single barrel set 12ga/12ga over 9.3x74R
With 3 barrel inserts
9.3x94R
7x57R
22 Hornet.

Chop and change as needed....

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
IvW, talk about FLEXIBILITY!!! One could hardly ask for more. Show us some Pics. if you get it.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
It is a drilling single barrel set 12ga/12ga over 9.3x74R
With 3 barrel inserts
9.3x94R
7x57R
22 Hornet.

Chop and change as needed....
That is a very specific set of requirements.
Finding such a gun would be a hunt in itself.
Equivalent to trophy pictures with a Unicorn.

Have you inquired with Krieghoff for commissioning a build?

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I cannot get away from this.....now I am looking at a Krieghoff Drilling....double 12ga over 9.3x74R with 9.3x74R insert barrel(double 9.3 with shottie barrel), 7x57R insert barrel nice bergstutzen with shottie barrel and 22 Hornet insert barrel then gives you perfect Bergstutzen for the small duikers etc and if you call in a bushpig while doing so you are ready to go with the 9.3x74r.......
Now that would be a find indeed - and not just a unicorn - on the order of trophy photos of a pinto patterned unicorn with a sticker or two. I have never actually seen large caliber inserts for a Krieghoff drilling. I have a .22 lr and .22 magnum set fitted for one of my drillings and they work as advertised - the .22 magnum is particularly useful.

There have been some cheap attempts for rifle inserts done here in the States, but to be of any utility, an insert barrel needs finely adjustable base shims (.22 variants) or at the muzzle so that its POI can be adjusted to the POI of the scope and permanent rifle barrel. Perhaps @HWL will tune in, but I do recall a German company that made larger inserts. Way back in the day, there was a company called "Fritz" or something like that. Looking on the web, Keppler seems the go to company these days. I suspect you will need deep pockets. :cry:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.33 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.34 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.35 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 8.43.36 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
That is a very specific set of requirements.
Finding such a gun would be a hunt in itself.
Equivalent to trophy pictures with a Unicorn.

Have you inquired with Krieghoff for commissioning a build?
K will build it....now also looking at Merkel combo(K combo only availibel in 20ga), 12ga/9.3×74R but do not see that they make barrel inserts...I have to have 12ga and only want steel receiver....
This combo would do the same for me and would be cheaper however will have to find out if Merkel make the full length barrel inserts....

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
Now that would be a find indeed - and not just a unicorn - on the order of trophy photos of a pinto patterned unicorn with a sticker or two. I have never actually seen large caliber inserts for a Krieghoff drilling. I have a .22 lr and .22 magnum set fitted for one of my drillings and they work as advertised - the .22 magnum is particularly useful.

There have been some cheap attempts for rifle inserts done here in the States, but to be of any utility, an insert barrel needs finely adjustable base shims (.22 variants) or at the muzzle so that its POI can be adjusted to the POI of the scope and permanent rifle barrel. Perhaps @HWL will tune in, but I do recall a German company that made larger inserts. Way back in the day, there was a company called "Fritz" or something like that. Looking on the web, Keppler seems the go to company these days. I suspect you will need deep pockets. :cry:

Krieghoff make from 22 Hornet up to 9.3x74R full length barrel inserts. My preferance would be a o/u combo but K only make them in 20ga which is no good for me I need 12ga. That is why I looked at the K drilling which is availible in 12ga but expensive. . Merkel make combo in 12ga but seems they do not make barrel inserts. Lock up seems the same as S2(Blaser) so very strong...
So first prize would be 12ga/9.3×74R with full length insert barrels in 7x57R and 22 Hornet

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I like the idea of the multiple barrel set O/U.
12 bore, 9.3x74R, 7x57R...etc.

I do know that Beretta makes O/U rifles/shotgun sets.
Not sure of the quality.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
I think I will stay German make with German calibers....

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I've used Browning Superposed and Merkel O/U shotguns and the only downside that I see to them is that they need to be completely open to load the bottom barrel which can be a problem since the normal process is to load the cartridge with the trigger hand while holding the gun by the forearm with the other hand.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
I thought sxs or o/u needed to be open properly to reload. I reload with my left hand not my trigger hand.

Hunting with a combination does not require such a high speed reload for general hunting as would be the cas when dealing with high volume dove hunting for example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithStree

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh