Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Interesting article about the benefits of red plaid!

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.35.58 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.36.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.36.01 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.36.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.36.03 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.36.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 8.36.05 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 166
I wonder how tweed follows this logic? It's a fairly uniform fabric I think.

Or maybe they were experienced hunters and stayed downwind, didn't talk, and didn't move suddenly? Follow those basic rules and wear a pink tutu. :A Too Cool:

Well maybe not in Texas .......... :E Shrug:

Plaid worked for me for many years...

13tGbWpm.jpg
CS4JJYsm.jpg
n1bS672m.jpg
ROLTJ3Em.jpg
siB12I3m.jpg
sYhdaLTm.jpg
WgGp4MYm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For years when I first started bow hunting my camo of choice was just a flannel shirt and blue jeans. It worked quite well.

I didn't know that I wasn't suppose to be able to bring home deer and elk until I saw all this new fangled camo that you need to take a loan out to buy.

Gasp!! And NOT a tutu, but this pink shirt worked for me on my first spot and stalk black bear hunt...

Attachments

• vTYJrX3m.jpg
    vTYJrX3m.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
Downwind, don't move, stay quiet and a ghillie suit, they'll stand there and look at you. Just have your weapon of choice shouldered. Worked and still works for me.
Edit: In my younger, flat broke years, I went to church, worked and hunted in the same street clothes.

I wonder how tweed follows this logic? It's a fairly uniform fabric I think.

tweed is not a uniform fabric. Each tweed was selected to be the “house uniform” for that particular estate or district. If you look at them, you may find them disgusting as you inspect the fabric swatch. White, yellow, pink, purple, blues, mustard, navy, all these striking colors. However, when you wear a suit if these fabrics you realize that the orange thread blends with the fall blossoms, the purple with the heather, and the brown, olive, or tan primary color blends with the base color of the moor.

tweed is awesome. When we would rough shoot birds in tweed we would get closer shots than the crew wearing solid blaze orange. And of course we looked proper with our ties and garters on as well.

EC5871D5-4C11-4C01-8729-D972CF9E6715.jpeg

Anything to break up your outline if you’re busted out in the open. Plaid works just fine for that.
Otherwise, using the natural cover, the lay of the land, the wind, etc., is what is so much fun about making a great stalk to get in close. The challenge is addictive. Sometimes actually making the shot ends up being secondary. There are times I’ve been extremely lucky to get in close and end up passing up the shot because he wasn’t quite mature enough yet, but had more fun than other times that I connected. Exciting stuff.

Or maybe they were experienced hunters and stayed downwind, didn't talk, and didn't move suddenly? Follow those basic rules and wear a pink tutu. :A Too Cool:

You’d better keep that in Texas! Start wandering around the woods in Bama wearing a pink tutu, thar ain’t no tellin what’s gonna happen!

You’d better keep that in Texas! Start wandering around the woods in Bama wearing a pink tutu, thar ain’t no tellin what’s gonna happen!
“…no telling what’s gonna happen”

Oh I don’t know…a couple of things jump right out there. :oops:

Agree with everything except the pink tutu. It's just too damn cold where I hunt for a tutu.

That's been my experience at least with Whitetails. All I ever wore was blue jeans, an M65 parka, a blaze orange vest and cap (required by law here). After that it's scent (stay upwind or get into a tree stand), stay still, BE QUIET and be able to hit that at which you shoot.

I've been to camps with guys that have matching camo boots, pants, parkas, hats, gun cases and even gun stocks. OK if you want to spend the money to look good, fine you'll win a fashion contest.

The pink tutu is all fun and games to you lot, but to me, well, I’ve seen things, things I wish I haven’t! Namely, a somewhat overweight mate of mine, on his bucks weekend, wearing a pink tutu and a g-string. It’s a sight you don’t forget, no matter how hard you try…

Gents Tweeds and Tartans are specific to each estate and area due to the foliage found there. I have found that a nice brown tweed blends into most thing in the UK. But saying that I once stalked into a group of Roe deer (no rifle just a test to see how close I can get) wearing a bright pink T shorts and Gucci loafers. Got to within 40 yards!!!! Some might say its because I didnt have a rifle. But I had the wind, terrain and sun to my advantage.

I've been hunting for more than 40 years and have yet to wear camo while doing it. Plaid worked just fine when I was younger hunting deer in Upstate NY. Now I hunt in mostly darker earth tones that I also wear on a daily basis from makers like Filson, Carhartt and Orvis.

@Red Leg
So all this time @CBH has been hunting in the right gear all along when he heads bush in his pink tutu. If he wants to complete the set up he takes his wifes pink muddy girl 243 and pink ballet shoes so his outfit is completely colour co-ordinated.
For years and still today my hunting outfit was a checked flanno shirt and kakahi trousers, summer was kakahi shirt and trousers which is what I wore in Namibia. I do now have proper cam pants for summer and winter but still wear the same tops.
Bob

Anything to break up your outline if you’re busted out in the open. Plaid works just fine for that.
Otherwise, using the natural cover, the lay of the land, the wind, etc., is what is so much fun about making a great stalk to get in close. The challenge is addictive. Sometimes actually making the shot ends up being secondary. There are times I’ve been extremely lucky to get in close and end up passing up the shot because he wasn’t quite mature enough yet, but had more fun than other times that I connected. Exciting stuff.
@RandyF
Sound like a good excuse to me mate. I think the real reason you didn't take the shot was that you forgot to load your your rifle before you left camp. It sounds better tho to say it was only young so I decided not to shoot than shit I forgot to take my ammo.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg