JDMonson

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
A little over a year ago I was able to drive myself to Chicago and pick up my own crate of finished taxidermy the day it arrived. Yesterday I was told that my crate of Dip and packed hides and heads must be put on a truck, and I cannot be the one who receives the shipment myself. I feel that this is just another way for someone to stick extra money in their pocket for no reason. Has anyone else been able to receive their shipment of unfinished goods themselves?

Did you pick it up from a bonded warehouse or their own warehouse?

Their warehouse is a bonded warehouse in Elk Grove Village or Bensonville Near O’hare. I saw all manner of CITES Appendix 1 skins and trophies awaiting USFWS inspection when I was there.

I took apart a massive crate, filled the back of my truck cap with loads of green skins and horns, and headed straight to my taxidermist to get them tanned immediately. This was maybe 5 years ago so I can’t say if things have changed last week or not.

What's in the crate? Some hides and or even mounts need to go to a USDA certified shop.

What's in the crate? Some hides and or even mounts need to go to a USDA certified shop.
buff, sable, nyala, 2 impalas, steenbok, giraffe, all of those are capes, back skins and skulls along with a jackal hide and warthog skull.

buff, sable, nyala, 2 impalas, steenbok, giraffe, all of those are capes, back skins and skulls along with a jackal hide and warthog skull.

The warthog “F’d you”. Monkeys, Baboons, and Warthogs bring USDA into the picture and your ability to pick it up may be interfered with as green skins/skulls.

Yep, I read on here in the last year that even finished mounts and or euro's of warthogs and other problem animals need to go to a USDA shop.

I checked with my importer and they are certified with the USDA so I should not have any problems getting my finished warthog into and shipped directly to me, but then that was last spring who know what it will be in a couple of months when mine are shipped

All restricted crates must go by a bonded carrier until processed by USDA certified facility.

Back in August my crate of finished taxidermy was inspected by USDA and the APHIS (animal, plant, health inspection?) no CITES, swine or primates. I think it was 25$ for the first 5 animals and 3$ each for each additional. But once inspected that shouldn’t keep you from picking them up yourself unless the warthog must stay in the chain of command so to speak until it is fully processe.

If the crate contains skins and skulls that are restricted, the crate must be disposed of properly and all packing material. My inspectors want them burned. If mounted animals go to a USDA facility like warthog, all that is required of the USDA person in charge at said facility is to verify that the warthog is actually mounted, fill out paper work and send it on its way. This is why more mounted items are being restricted the last 3 years, because it must be confirmed that the item is actually mounted. This must be done visually by opening the crate. Its always been this way. They normally would do this at entry into the country themselves. With more inexperienced agents and less time and less agents its easier for them to restrict the crate of mounts and just fill out some paper work. Therefore more mounts are being restricted so they don't have to open said crate thus putting the inspection on the USDA facility. Pain in everyone's ass but theirs. I don't think they care though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarriDadso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.