Developing a flinch

You’re on the right path. Get as much wingshooting instruction as you can with a double. Then go back to your rifle and you’ll be in way better shape to shoot effectively. Weight off your heels, arms forward, elbow up, most of the weight on the left hand forward of the forend. Comb to face, not face to comb.

it will come together and the recoil will diminish.
Really appreciate the help, this forum is more valuable than some stuff that gets stuck in the Library of Congress.

Very informative read. Thanks all for the education. I've developed and lost a flinch a number of times. Mounting and dry firing a lot helps. Also, on the range I usually limit my big bore shooting to 20 or less. Lots of additional practice with a .22 LR for muscle memory and trigger sensitivity. Works for me.

Factory Chapuis combs are pretty high. If you have to mash your face down on the stock to see the open sights, you're going to get smacked in your cheekbone by the comb.

I had the same issue that began about couple years ago I tried everything as above mentioned .
Then few weeks ago I just got in the bench with my 450 ackley shooting 500grs at 2350fps and decided I had enough with this anticipating issue and flinch and pulled the trigger with excellent results I guess my solution was suck it up and take the shot and repeated over and over till your confidence builds up to the point that you no longer feel the anxious about the shot

I had the same issue that began about couple years ago I tried everything as above mentioned .
Then few weeks ago I just got in the bench with my 450 ackley shooting 500grs at 2350fps and decided I had enough with this anticipating issue and flinch and pulled the trigger with excellent results I guess my solution was suck it up and take the shot and repeated over and over till your confidence builds up to the point that you no longer feel the anxious about the shot
Right on

Yup. When i first got a 338 win mag (thank you Robert K. Brown in Soldier of Fortune magazine for introducing me to this round) I was anxious about shooting it because I was trying to be accurate and at the same time learn to deal with the recoil (I was a young buck). I separated those goals by just shooting a box or so just for fun - blowing shit up, we called it. Pumpkins, cinder blocks, cow pies all at no-miss range - 25 yds or so. Point, yank, boom, rack another one in, point, yank, boom. By the time the box was empty we were having so much just watching things break the recoil was a literal afterthought. I don't know if this is the accepted way of doing things now, but for a teenager out in the country in the 80s - it worked.

Have to say I had missed this thread and enjoyed reading this morning. I also read and showed to my wife some of the excerpts and instructional pictures showing her what a valuable resource this forum is. So many extremely knowledgeable folks willing to take time and share their expertise. Thank you AH and all that share. In our world today it’s a breath of fresh air.
Ed

I find I flinch when there is no take up on the trigger.
dry firing immediately before a live session helps, as does consciously concentrating upon the trigger finger getting tighter and tighter...

I think that if you can convince yourself that you're not going to be injured when the gun goes off it goes a long way. The sharper and faster recoiling calibers make this a challenge. From there it is just dealing with whatever physical limitations exist with your body's ability to deal with the recoil.

I think that if you can convince yourself that you're not going to be injured when the gun goes off it goes a long way. The sharper and faster recoiling calibers make this a challenge. From there it is just dealing with whatever physical limitations exist with your body's ability to deal with the recoil.

100%. That was essentially the goal i mentioned in my post - just being OK with the big shove.

The fact that its happening "every other shot" or so means your grip/hold is not consistent! Work on your hold/grip with smaller bore rifles and really focus and being comfortable and snug/secure...mind on breath but with the bigger boys i tend to get on target find the boiler room and let her buck! Longer breathes and thinking of squeezing the trigger doesnt work well with the biggens! LOL!

Work with the smaller bores getting comfortable secure grip/hold...find the boiler room/bull circle and let her go! When you go back up to the biggest calibers grab it up and do what you just did with the mid/smaller bore rifle and this should help!

You have been using scoped rifles with probably med to higher rings and you are not used to getting your face/cheek down on the stock. When shooting iron sights your secure comfortable hold is a lot more imperitive! My 2 cents...hope you finger it out!

Factory Chapuis combs are pretty high. If you have to mash your face down on the stock to see the open sights, you're going to get smacked in your cheekbone by the comb.
I have not read all the pages except the first & the last one,Chris has it right,I had this experience with a Chapuis in 9.3x74 & Beretta in 30 -06,the comb was too high & they bitch slapped pretty good,I sold the Chapuis,I still have the Beretta,my excellent gunsmith bent the stock to drop the comb down,problem fixed.

Eventually_Africa_Again,
Let me begin by saying thanks, it takes a supreme act of confidence for most of us to reach out for help, and post comments, photos, and videos of our struggles in an open forum like this. I have really enjoyed this thread and the open exchange of ideas from most of the posts.

Keep shooting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg