Dangerous Game Rifle Caliber for an Enthusiast

What does anyone think about the 416 Remington? I was reading another forum post on here and it seemed well regarded. Just curious.
I had a 416RM and I will say that it is a significant step up in recoil from the 375. Especially if the largest thing you have shouldered is a .30 caliber magnum.

I’m not saying don’t get a 416 or a 404...etc. What I am saying is take it slow and you will avoid the pitfalls of possibly going too big and developing a flinch.

Join the medium bore club with a 375 or 9.3 and the next thing you know, you will have a few friends with .40+ caliber rifles they may let you shoot.

BTW - this is coming from a person who recently sold his 416RM because he realized that a 375 is all he will ever need.

I had a 416RM and I will say that it is a significant step up in recoil from the 375. Especially if the largest thing you have shouldered is a .30 caliber magnum.

I’m not saying don’t get a 416 or a 404...etc. What I am saying is take it slow and you will avoid the pitfalls of possibly going too big and developing a flinch.

Join the medium bore club with a 375 or 9.3 and the next thing you know, you will have a few friends with .40+ caliber rifles they may let you shoot.

BTW - this is coming from a person who recently sold his 416RM because he realized that a 375 is all he will ever need.
I think the 375 is what I will end up with...this time...I just wondered about the Remington. I am so fascinated by these big bores.

I think the 375 is what I will end up with...this time...I just wondered about the Remington. I am so fascinated by these big bores.
Tortoise and the Hare...we all know who won that race. Slow, deliberate and well thought out moves are usually the best ones. The big bores will be there when you are ready.

I recently picked up a Steyr Mannlicher Luxus in .375 H&H and absolutely love it. I paid a bit more than your budget, but I’ve seen them go for $1200-$1500 at auction. Maybe worth looking into, though the M70 is also a great choice.

What does anyone think about the 416 Remington? I was reading another forum post on here and it seemed well regarded. Just curious.
Pressure and recoil....
For what the OP wants 375 H&H is the best option....forget about Ruger, Remington or Sako.....cz, zkk602 or pre 64....

If he wants bigger next best option is 404 Jeff....

***WARNING*** You are entering a dangerous path of larger calibre rifles.... you won't just stop with 1!

I went with the 375H&H as a starter. I originally put a deposit on the CZ 550 but didn't get the new gun feels... so swapped to the Win M70 Safari. Why? I wanted a rifle I didn't want to "tinker" with. The CZ is a great rifle but IMHO needs work, the stock is to heavy, and the rifle needs to be smoothed, finished off.(NB if i could have sent the rifle to AHR then I may have gone down the CZ path.)

The Win M70 out of the box was nicer handling and better finished and it Shoots! 3 shots under 3/4 of an inch@ 100m with handholds.

IMG_2856.jpg

I then wanted a 404j but a ruger safari magnum, in 416 rigby came up at a price that was too good to pass up. IF you can find one a Ruger safari magnum would tick your boxes but they are hard to find. If not the Winchester would be a fantastic starting point.

Cheers
TW

I am a rifle enthusiast and I love the history behind African exploration, big game hunting, and rifles/cartridges. I was in a gun shop in Bedford, PA (Cove Creek Outfitters) one day and I was allowed to hand a 470NE Double rifle with the lowly price tag of $36,000.00. From that day onward, it was/is my goal to get one of those rifles.
As someone who not so long ago found myself in the exact same situation you are in right now, I have to warn you that once you go down this road there is no turning back.
Once you buy one big rifle, you will quickly want another bigger one.
***WARNING*** You are entering a dangerous path of larger calibre rifles.... you won't just stop with 1!

I went with the 375H&H as a starter
^^^THIS
I though i'd get one nice bigger caliber and that would do me, but the opposite happened.
The more I read about hunting large and dangerous game etc.. the more intrigued I became and now i'm driven by an insatiable desire to aquire more rifles and bigger calibers (which is actually how I actually found this forum!)

The largest caliber I have ever shot is 375 H&H. And I see this discussion mooving to upper caliber levels.
So I have question, out of couriosity.

For those who shot 375 H&H on lower end of DG scale and also have shot 505 Gibbs in upper level - how do you compare recoil of these two DG extremes?

For those who shot 375 H&H on lower end of DG scale and also have shot 505 Gibbs in upper level - how do you compare recoil of these two DG extremes?

Also while we're on this topic for anyone in the know - how would you compare the .375 H&H to the .458 WM or .458 Lott?

That is a mighty fine rifle! I am actually a fan of the gray laminate, especially for wet weather. That is why I like my Ruger Scout and the Ruger Guide gun. I mean, they're no substitute for walnut in the looks department, but they have their own charm.

As someone who not so long ago found myself in the exact same situation you are in right now, I have to warn you that once you go down this road there is no turning back.

^^^THIS
I though i'd get one nice bigger caliber and that would do me, but the opposite happened.
The more I read about hunting large and dangerous game etc.. the more intrigued I became and now i'm driven by an insatiable desire to aquire more rifles and bigger calibers (which is actually how I actually found this forum!)
You could have started with a .470NE or Capstick and have done with it.

The largest caliber I have ever shot is 375 H&H. And I see this discussion mooving to upper caliber levels.
So I have question, out of couriosity.

Like being hit by a cushion and hit by a double-decker bus

I went with the 375H&H as a starter. I originally put a deposit on the CZ 550 but didn't get the new gun feels... so swapped to the Win M70 Safari. Why? I wanted a rifle I didn't want to "tinker" with. The CZ is a great rifle but IMHO needs work, the stock is to heavy, and the rifle needs to be smoothed, finished off.(NB if i could have sent the rifle to AHR then I may have gone down the CZ path.)

The Win M70 out of the box was nicer handling and better finished and it Shoots! 3 shots under 3/4 of an inch@ 100m with handholds.

View attachment 397147

I then wanted a 404j but a ruger safari magnum, in 416 rigby came up at a price that was too good to pass up. IF you can find one a Ruger safari magnum would tick your boxes but they are hard to find. If not the Winchester would be a fantastic starting point.

Cheers
TW
That is some good evidence for the model 70!

^^^THIS
I feel myself slipping down the slope!

Also while we're on this topic for anyone in the know - how would you compare the .375 H&H to the .458 WM or .458 Lott?

I have custom M70’s in .375 H&H and .458 Lott. They stocks fit me well and are appropriately designed for large calibers. Both are topped with VX6 1-6x scopes in QD mounts.

They are both very manageable rifles. I used to think that they recoiled about the same, but the honest answer is that the Lott has significantly more recoil. The .375 is quite easy off the bench, the Lott is not. Off sticks, the .375 is back on target a little quicker. If you can handle a .375 comfortably I believe you will have no issue with a Lott in a similar configuration.

When I read about you brave souls with Ruger No 1’s in .458 Lott I break out in a cold sweat. I can’t imagine the recoil of one of those rigs!

I have custom M70’s in .375 H&H and .458 Lott. They stocks fit me well and are appropriately designed for large calibers. Both are topped with VX6 1-6x scopes in QD mounts.

They are both very manageable rifles. I used to think that they recoiled about the same, but the honest answer is that the Lott has significantly more recoil. The .375 is quite easy off the bench, the Lott is not. Off sticks, the .375 is back on target a little quicker. If you can handle a .375 comfortably I believe you will have no issue with a Lott in a similar configuration.

When I read about you brave souls with Ruger No 1’s in .458 Lott I break out in a cold sweat. I can’t imagine the recoil of one of those rigs!

Thanks for your reply,

That's certainly put my mind at ease as i've been considering something in .458 for my next purchase but due to where I live I will more than likely that I have to purchase the rifle online without having the chance to fire it first, so it was definately in the back of my mind that I might well end up with too much of a good thing!

and while I don't mind recoil, I don't particularly want something that's going to kick me into next week either..!

Thanks for your reply,

That's certainly put my mind at ease as i've been considering something in .458 for my next purchase but due to where I live I will more than likely that I have to purchase the rifle online without having the chance to fire it first, so it was definately in the back of my mind that I might well end up with too much of a good thing!

and while I don't mind recoil, I don't particularly want something that's going to kick me into next week either..!
Same boat here. I will probably order the Winchester Model 70 Safari and do trial by fire. That is if I can actually get one. Supposedly there will be new ones in early June.

Same boat here. I will probably order the Winchester Model 70 Safari and do trial by fire. That is if I can actually get one. Supposedly there will be new ones in early June.
Yes it definately looks like that's how things will be going down for me as well,
Buy the gun, hope for the best, then squeeze the trigger and hold on.

then after my ears stop ringing and the sensation finally returns to my arm, hopefully not have to pick up too many teeth!

Yes it definately looks like that's how things will be going down for me as well,

then after my ears stop ringing and the sensation finally returns to my arm, hopefully not have to pick up too many teeth!
Nothin to worry about. I watched a ton of videos of people shooting the 375 from the bench and it doesnt look too bad. Especially with a good recoil pad of some sort and heavy enough rifle.

It's not bad at all, really it isn't. The biggest hurdle is the 8" between your ears. Start with dry fire practice to get accustomed to the trigger and bolt manipulation. Make sure you are comfortable with how the rifle fits you. Hold the rifle snug against the shoulder, relax, breathe and slowly squeeze the trigger. Once your brain figures out that pulling the trigger will not incite injury, you will be fine. Go slow with live fire practice. No points are taken away for staying within your limits and only shooting 3, 4 or 5 rounds. Work up slowly and incorporate practice with 22lr (cheaper) and more dry fire drills (also cheaper). Shooting off sticks is the best way to get started, the bench can be brutal for beginners without the assistance of a lead sled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowlimitless

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross