Dangerous Game Rifle Caliber for an Enthusiast

Good evening @Captain Munro ,

I personally own and prefer a .458 Winchester Magnum ( especially for dangerous game hunting ) . I have been using mine ( a custom piece which is built on a Winchester Enfield Model 1917 action ) with most satisfactory results ever since 1977 . 44 years and counting ; neither the rifle nor the calibre has ever let me down . Among currently manufactured rifles in .458 Winchester Magnum , you really cannot do better than a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express .

That said , I can only agree with the excellent advice which is offered by the knowledgeable gentlemen above . In your context , a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the more practical choice BY FAR . I believe that you are a novice with little experience in hunting dangerous game / large game . And a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum has some very solid advantages , which are quite difficult to ignore :
- Versatility ( you can employ it against plains game and North American game , as well )
- Wide range of bullet weights for different applications ( both as reloading components and in factory loaded ammunition )
- Very manageable recoil

Since you will be going to Africa as a client hunter , your main priority is to learn how to place your first shot in a vital region ( in order to dispatch your target game animal in a quick and humane manner ) . This is something which your professional hunter shall aid you in accomplishing . So focus on accurate shot placement and comfortably getting off multiple shots with your rifle . Learn how to shoot from shooting sticks , with accuracy . For all of these purposes , a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the way to go ( especially for a novice ) .

And I believe that a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the most practical ( yet affordable ) rifle that shall suit your requirements . You can always step up to larger calibres in the future ( once you grow confident of your abilities ) . And then , go get that .458 Winchester Magnum ! Truly one of my favorite calibres .

Last edited:
Good evening @Captain Munro ,

I personally own and prefer a .458 Winchester Magnum ( especially for dangerous game hunting ) . I have been using mine ( a custom piece which is built on a Winchester Enfield Model 1917 action ) with most satisfactory results ever since 1977 . 44 years and counting ; neither the rifle nor the calibre has ever let me down . Among currently manufactured rifles in .458 Winchester Magnum , you really cannot do better than a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express .

That said , I can only agree with the excellent advice which is offered by the knowledgeable gentlemen above . In your context , a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the more practical choice BY FAR . I believe that you are a novice with little experience in hunting dangerous game / large game . And a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum has some very solid advantages , which are quite difficult to ignore :
- Versatility ( you can employ it against plains game , as well )
- Wide range of bullet weights for different applications ( both as reloading components and in factory loaded ammunition )
- Very manageable recoil

Since you will be going to Africa as a client hunter , your main priority is to learn how to place your first shot in a vital region ( in order to dispatch your target game animal in a quick and humane manner ) . This is something which your professional hunter shall aid you in accomplishing . So focus on accurate shot placement and comfortably getting off multiple shots with your rifle . Learn how to shoot from shooting sticks , with accuracy . For all of these purposes , a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the way to go ( especially for a novice ) .

And I believe that a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the most practical ( yet affordable ) rifle that shall suit your requirements . You can always step up to larger calibres in the future ( once you grow confident of your abilities ) . And then , get that .458 Winchester Magnum ! Truly one of my favorite calibres .
Thank you for the response! One can never have too many rifles, especially in interesting calibers such as the 375H&H and the 458 Win Mag.

As others have already stated, the smart move is a 375 first. Practice off sticks with dry fire and range work. Go to Africa for a hunt and see where that leads you.

As for the specific 375 cartridge (RUGER vs H&H), the animal is not going to know the difference. The RUGER does what the H&H does in a 30-06 length action. The RUGER cartridge is 13 years old and shows no signs of slowing down. I'd say take your pick.

As for the brand/action/style...etc of the rifle, that's another one that's really up to you. Most rifle action failures can be traced back to user error or lack of maintenance for both CRF and PF's. Take care of your rifle and it will take care of you. As long as the rifle & scope combination is reliable and works for you, you should use it. You are a client, not testing to be a PH. Your rifle should fit you well and go bang every time.

As others have already stated, the smart move is a 375 first. Practice off sticks with dry fire and range work. Go to Africa for a hunt and see where that leads you.

As for the specific 375 cartridge (RUGER vs H&H), the animal is not going to know the difference. The RUGER does what the H&H does in a 30-06 length action. The RUGER cartridge is 13 years old and shows no signs of slowing down. I'd say take your pick.

As for the brand/action/style...etc of the rifle, that's another one that's really up to you. Most rifle action failures can be traced back to user error or lack of maintenance for both CRF and PF's. Take care of your rifle and it will take care of you. As long as the rifle & scope combination is reliable and works for you, you should use it. You are a client, not testing to be a PH. Your rifle should fit you well and go bang every time.
My rifles are part of the family, so they get the best treatment haha...maybe better than some of the family...

My options for caliber, in the aforementioned rifles, would be 375H&H (the classic with a ton of history), 374 Ruger, 416 Remington Mag, 416 Ruger, and the 458 Win Mag. I am leaning towards the Winchester in 458 Win Mag to get the real big bore feel (and it seems right for the Winchester Model 70 to be chambered in a Winchester Cartridge), but I understand the practical merits of the 375 and the 416 (still big bore).
Of the specific calibers you mentioned, I would say you should get the 374 Ruger............for it indeed must be very rare and certainly a collector's item. :A Whistle:

Of the specific calibers you mentioned, I would say you should get the 374 Ruger............for it indeed must be very rare and certainly a collector's item. :A Whistle:
374 Ruger has a velocity exceeding the 375 and with more energy at the muzzle. Did I mention it was in a smaller case as well?

Captain Munro, your first "African" rifle needs to be a 375 H&H. Of that there is no question. Now it comes down to cost. You can get a Winchester African Safari Express, a CZ 550, or a BRNO ZKK602. One thing to bare in mind is that a used rifle shouldn't be out of the question. Check out the "classified" section of AH. Down the pike you can look at more expensive firearms. However, being a young man you could consider buying "one good gun" like the Blaser R8 and keeping it for the rest of your life.

I am just a government scientist with student loan debt...Fortunately for me, my soon to be fiancé, is willing to spend $2k on an engagement present for me. I know, lucky man here. With that budget in mind, I found new production rifle choices limited to Winchester Model 70 Safari Express and the Ruger Hawkeye African or Guide Gun...

Considering your financial situation and that Africa is in the future at some time and DG in Africa most likely even further out I would go with what others have suggested. .375 H&H, a medium bore, as you can use it for PG as well in the beginning, not to mention ammo is cheaper. Once you are ready for DG then you can get a proper big bore if you wish.

Considering your financial situation and that Africa is in the future at some time and DG in Africa most likely even further out I would go with what others have suggested. .375 H&H, a medium bore, as you can use it for PG as well in the beginning, not to mention ammo is cheaper. Once you are ready for DG then you can get a proper big bore if you wish.
Right now the rifle will be to satisfy my extreme interest in African hunting and exploration and in big bore hunting rifles. I am not sure if I will ever actually hunt in Africa, but I can dream! I am kind of like Hickok 45 on youtube, I just like guns and shooting. In my case ththe firearms I am into align with my interests in history.
However, I now understand why the 375 H&H is being recommended by everyone.

Right now the rifle will be to satisfy my extreme interest in African hunting and exploration and in big bore hunting rifles. I am not sure if I will ever actually hunt in Africa, but I can dream! I am kind of like Hickok 45 on youtube, I just like guns and shooting. In my case ththe firearms I am into align with my interests in history.
However, I now understand why the 375 H&H is being recommended by everyone.
History is expensive. But a .303, .375h&h and a big budget rifle in .500bpe would fot your bill for historic africa ! Might aswell throw in a 4 bore also. Lol

History is expensive. But a .303, .375h&h and a big budget rifle in .500bpe would fot your bill for historic africa ! Might aswell throw in a 4 bore also. Lol
History is very expensive haha. I cant help myself though. I think most on here will understand the dilemma.

History is very expensive haha. I cant help myself though. I think most on here will understand the dilemma.
I understand completely. I have guns that belonged to my dad from his 40s&50s adventures and some that my grandfather brought from England in 1910. But im not a gunsmith and wouldnt even know how to get ammo for them. So they just sit in storage. My son can figure them out after im gone. Lol

I understand completely. I have guns that belonged to my dad from his 40s&50s adventures and some that my grandfather brought from England in 1910. But im not a gunsmith and wouldnt even know how to get ammo for them. So they just sit in storage. My son can figure them out after im gone. Lol
That is probably what my Dad is saying about me! Hahaha

Win 70 Safari Express in 375H&H. Reasonable cost, excellent action, accurate, ammo available worldwide in a variety of loads, will kill anything that walks the earth. Best bet for anyone, novice or expert, contemplating hunting Africa.

@Captain Munro based on your initial post you sound like a practical guy and unless you have 35K+ to spend on an Elephant hunt you really don't need anything more than a 375 H&H.

374 Ruger has a velocity exceeding the 375 and with more energy at the muzzle. Did I mention it was in a smaller case as well?
@375 Ruger Fan (note his handle) is yanking your chain. It is called the 375 Ruger - not 374.

These new guys ...... ;)

Win 70 Safari Express in 375H&H. Reasonable cost, excellent action, accurate, ammo available worldwide in a variety of loads, will kill anything that walks the earth. Best bet for anyone, novice or expert, contemplating hunting Africa.
I really like the Winchester for the price and options offered. I have read good things.

@Captain Munro based on your initial post you sound like a practical guy and unless you have 35K+ to spend on an Elephant hunt you really don't need anything more than a 375 H&H.
Someday down the road maybe. Seems like the 375 H&H is holding the lead by a longshot.

@375 Ruger Fan is yanking your chain. It is called the 375 Ruger - not 374.

These new guys ...... ;)
I know haha. I fat finger the keyboard all the time, especially on these tiny touchscreen keypads. Just lucky I didnt make a worse typo haha...yet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!