Dakota Rifle Stock

Dakota Hunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Would you think this grain on the fore end of this Dakota 76 is a negative or just burl ?

CA6A870E-AFEE-4156-ABA9-03317E0793F5.jpeg

It's an attractive piece of wood. I agree with Von Gruff's comment about stability.

If you are really worried about cracking or warping, router a channel under the barrel and epoxy in a length of (scored) drill rod. I've done it on a couple of builds and have never seen any variance.

Just figure in the grain, maybe a knot where a limb was, or was trying to form.
As @browningbbr suggested route a channel and epoxy a clean piece of rod to reinforce it. Even an aluminium section scored up with a file or hacksaw. Some aluminium alloys Willa be stiffer or harder pending what you can source.

Dakota make custom rifles right? Like it’s not a mass produced model overlooked on Friday afternoon.

How long have you had it ?

Unless the look detracts from the appeal to you I doubt it matters.

I think Garry, @Von Gruff was a carpenter before becoming a full time artisan knife maker. I sent some Australian Redgum for my knife scales , no special grain structure but he sliced it and stressed it to satisfy himself and mainly me that it would last the distance on my Custom knife.

I would consider Dakota a semi custom maker. I got the gun in a trade and really didn’t notice the spot on the fore arm at the time.

The rifle is chambered in 338 Winchester Mag. The test target if I recall correctly was just a little over a 1/2 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards .

I have never fired it so I can’t confirm it shoots that good or if I can even shoot it that good, regardless of the rifle !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bafoyo4859

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.