Custom shooting sticks

Uncharted_NT

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Canada, Australia
Needed a new set of sticks to practice with before the next trip. Very happy with how they turned out so thought I would share.
  • Two piece construction
  • Tasmanian Oak
  • Ostrich leather

IMG_6838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look great.

A few questions if you don't mind. Did you make them yourself or have them made? How are the pieces joined? What's the diameter of the sticks?

Thanks.

Those look great.

A few questions if you don't mind. Did you make them yourself or have them made? How are the pieces joined? What's the diameter of the sticks?

Thanks.
Thanks! I made them myself, they are 1" diameter, Joined with threaded brass fittings that are much the same as commercially made ones use.

Thanks! I made them myself, they are 1" diameter, Joined with threaded brass fittings that are much the same as commercially made ones use.
Thanks. 1” seems large; I was thinking 5/8”. I may have to rethink.

Very nice! I need to build or buy a set for practice. Where did you source the wood? Somewhere local or?

Very nice! I need to build or buy a set for practice. Where did you source the wood? Somewhere local or?
Tasmanian Oak probably sounds exotic but it’s widely available in Australia.
I’m no timber expert by any means but it is often available in dowels and mouldings and must have certain qualities suited to these applications.

There is an exotic timber called Huon Pine. I don’t know much about it except it was once used in furniture but the harvest of it is now banned. I think they might allow the use of fallen limbs or dead trees.
I do know it is hard to source and that adds to the value of any available timber which is very limited.
Thanks! Just my local hardware, they conveniently had the 1" oak dowel in the right length in stock.
Nice job.

They don't seem bulky, but would be no issues going 5/8" either. These are only being used for practice here, definitely wont be lugging them to Africa in August.
If it's not too much trouble could you post a picture ot two of the joint hardware?

@Uncharted_NT - What are you using to attach the bottom to the top pieces? Maybe share a few pictures of it?

@Uncharted_NT - What are you using to attach the bottom to the top pieces? Maybe share a few pictures of it?
I cant for the life of me manage to get a picture to upload sucessfully so here is the link:

Attachments

• Walking Stick Connector | Woodturners Project Parts | Tasmania.pdf
    294.7 KB · Views: 11
They don't seem bulky, but would be no issues going 5/8" either. These are only being used for practice here, definitely wont be lugging them to Africa in August.
Where you headed? I'll be with @Limcroma Safaris from the 21st to the 28th.

Very nice! What are you using to hold the sticks together?

1/4" shock cord. Seems to be perfect, easy to set them up and holds then together like a rock, then pulls them back in nicely when carrying.
Thank you! I have seen many pictures of sticks and never could figure out what it was. I have tried paracord with not-so-steller results.

Tasmanian Oak probably sounds exotic but it’s widely available in Australia.
I’m no timber expert by any means but it is often available in dowels and mouldings and must have certain qualities suited to these applications.

There is an exotic timber called Huon Pine. I don’t know much about it except it was once used in furniture but the harvest of it is now banned. I think they might allow the use of fallen limbs or dead trees.
I do know it is hard to source and that adds to the value of any available timber which is very limited.

Nice job.
The sticks look great. Any timber being turned into dowels is pretty low grade irrespective of what it is called . Huon Pine is a glorious honey coloured timber with high oil content ( like teak ) . Light but strong . I’m now inspired to go to the hardware and pick up some pine dowels . Mine will be less elaborate and not include fitted brass ferrules on the legs or hand fitted ostrich leather - although it does look very smart .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn88ynet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!