Custom 450 Rigby

Custom 450 rigby good buy yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
My friend and PH in RSA is carrying a 450 Rigby now and likes it a lot. It is a custom build on a CZ 550 action. He reloads, though, so the ammo cost is less a consideration. He was going to let me shoot it when I was in Zim with him in May, but we never got around to it.

I shot a CZ 550 in 450 Rigby a couple of months back. The owner was using 350gr flex tip projectiles as a practice round. Not too bad to shoot at all, although I only fired one round.
I watched him fire 500gr rounds, prone off a bipod. He was shooting a steel target at 215yds. Never scoped himself either!

I shot a CZ 550 in 450 Rigby a couple of months back. The owner was using 350gr flex tip projectiles as a practice round. Not too bad to shoot at all, although I only fired one round.
I watched him fire 500gr rounds, prone off a bipod. He was shooting a steel target at 215yds. Never scoped himself either!
:eek: He's either really big, really tough, or not running full throttle loads! Yikes
I have no where near enough padding to do that :) But I am impressed!

They were full throttle loads and he is not a big guy. He does shoot a lot of big guns though.
No way I would have done it!

@Xander , please don't take offense to my post , however this is how i interpret your post .

You seem like a young man and like most of us here when we were young finances were always an issue. If you have your mind set on the .458 caliber for whatever reason that is your choice , I however wouldn't be set on custom calibers at your age , I would purchase a CZ 550 in .458 Lott , they are available often 2nd hand for similar prices as the rifles discussed on this thread .

The Lott will do all you need it to do and in time to come if you decide to you will be in a position to modify it to a .450 Rigby.

Rather buy a new CZ. Look for the Standard straight stocked version.

Both those guns look like they are going to disappoint you at some stage.

Choose your big bore gunsmith very carefully.... especially in SA

Not sure which rifle it is but in the next to last picture it looks like the mount holes in the front ring are poorly drilled, the rear hole looks to be too far to the rear of the ring and protruding into the lug seating surface. I can't tell for sure that is the case from the picture but it is something I would check.

Xander I assume that you are in SA , you can buy a brand new CZ 550 in .458 Lott and have it converted to a .450 Rigby . I have discussed this several times with Jaco at Morkel and Crouse and it appears to be quiet straight forward.

Formalito (agents for CZ ) also have rifles available already as well.

As far as the caliber goes it is a great caliber.

My thoughts are that you don't need to purchase a 2nd hand rifle to achieve or acquire a .450 Rigby
+1^. I second the motion. Unless you really want to get a custom something there are less expensive options available. I have a CZ 550 450 Rigby myself. It is a very accurate round. It do "jiggle the fillings" though! Basically you have a 460 Weatherby minus about 5%.
Karl Stumpfe helped me with load developement suggestions as there isn't much to go on in North America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross