Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Xander

Reaction score
Member of
chasa
Hunted
south africa
Hi guys been on the forum for a while first post. Wondering what you guys think of the 450 rigby
I have an opportunity to buy a custom one with a Ferlach barrel and a Musgrave action. For around R18 000
Don't know if it is a good deal or even a good idea to buy the rifle
Just wanting some opinion on it
Thanks

Hi guys been on the forum for a while first post. Wondering what you guys think of the 450 rigby
I have an opportunity to buy a custom one with a Ferlach barrel and a Musgrave action. For around R18 000
Thanks

How hard is to to get ammunition there?
Fires a 500 grain bullet at around 2300fps st a high pressure and this MAY cause some case extraction issues in very hot weather. It is pretty much the same as a 458 Winchester magnum.
Should be great for dangerous game. If you are reloading rather than factory ammo, bear in mind the operating pressures especially in the heat. Suggest you would download a little to ensure safe and reliable extraction.
All the best on your new acquisition.

Thanks
If it's in good shape, go for it.

If you DON'T take it...please let me know!!

Xander I assume that you are in SA , you can buy a brand new CZ 550 in .458 Lott and have it converted to a .450 Rigby . I have discussed this several times with Jaco at Morkel and Crouse and it appears to be quiet straight forward.

Formalito (agents for CZ ) also have rifles available already as well.

As far as the caliber goes it is a great caliber.

My thoughts are that you don't need to purchase a 2nd hand rifle to achieve or acquire a .450 Rigby

Agreed..But the R18k price tag is hard to beat going this route!!

Fires a 500 grain bullet at around 2300fps st a high pressure and this MAY cause some case extraction issues in very hot weather. It is pretty much the same as a 458 Winchester magnum.
Should be great for dangerous game. If you are reloading rather than factory ammo, bear in mind the operating pressures especially in the heat. Suggest you would download a little to ensure safe and reliable extraction.

I will be reloading myself...
I will keep this in mind thank you

Xander I assume that you are in SA , you can buy a brand new CZ 550 in .458 Lott and have it converted to a .450 Rigby . I have discussed this several times with Jaco at Morkel and Crouse and it appears to be quiet straight forward.

Formalito (agents for CZ ) also have rifles available already as well.

As far as the caliber goes it is a great caliber.

My thoughts are that you don't need to purchase a 2nd hand rifle to achieve or acquire a .450 Rigby

I agree but I am not specifically looking for a 450 rigby. Just saw the price is good and that is why I am thinking about buying the rifle. I was actually looking at a brand new 458 lott at safari and outdoor last week.
But a friend of mine called me yesterday about this 450 rigby and said i need to go check it out

Let us know if you go check it out and maybe post some pictures.

IMG-20170623-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20170623-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20170623-WA0003.jpg

Fotos of the 450 rigby

looks nice , good luck with your choice.

IMG-20170623-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20170623-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20170623-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20170623-WA0008.jpg

Husqvarna 458 win mag
For R11 500

I think it is a better way to go
Cheaper to shoot cheaper to buy and lighter to carry

I like the 450, but for 11,500 that 458 is a winner!

Not sure which is which. I personally hate whichever rifle has that partial rollover cheekpiece. That is an affliction which should never be incorporated into a heavy rifle. It will likely induce a lot more perceived recoil than whichever rifle has the straight stock.

Not sure which is which. I personally hate whichever rifle has that partial rollover cheekpiece. That is an affliction which should never be incorporated into a heavy rifle. It will likely induce a lot more perceived recoil than whichever rifle has the straight stock.
looks like the 458 has that cheekpiece.
the 450 looks straight stocked and nicely short barreled... (y)

The 450 is really heavy with a thick barrel and a heavy piece of wood
If i buy the 458 I will most probably cut the barrel 2 inches shorter
And the ammo is much cheaper and more available
Only thing is it has a short action so I can't make it a 458 lott which is a downside because I really do like the lott

@Dr Ray.
Let me correct you the 450 Rigby operates at much lower pressure that many other .458 call rounds; not at higher pressure. It operates at a lower pressure than the .458 and is more suitable if you want shoot 550gr and 600gr projectiles as the case is based on the .416 rigby.
You can easly shoot 550 gr projectiles at 2300 fps and in theory if you wanted you could load it up a to simmilar velocity to the 460 weatherby, ( but then why bother). If you drive a 500 gr projectile at 2400fps it would be no issue.
It is a very good round, but not so common. Sako Makes the Brown bear in 450 Rigby and also CZ.
I think if your looking at a rifle that would do everything that the .458 Lott will do, but at lower pressure you can't go wrong with the .450 Rigby Rimless.

@Dr Ray.
Let me correct you the 450 Rigby operates at much lower pressure that many other .458 call rounds; not at higher pressure. It operates at a lower pressure than the .458 and is more suitable if you want shoot 550gr and 600gr projectiles as the case is based on the .416 rigby.
You can easly shoot 550 gr projectiles at 2300 fps and in theory if you wanted you could load it up a to simmilar velocity to the 460 weatherby, ( but then why bother). If you drive a 500 gr projectile at 2400fps it would be no issue.
It is a very good round, but not so common. Sako Makes the Brown bear in 450 Rigby and also CZ.
I think if your looking at a rifle that would do everything that the .458 Lott will do, but at lower pressure you can't go wrong with the .450 Rigby Rimless.
+1
The 450 Rigby is ALOT more cartridge than the .458 Win Mag and more than the .458 Lott. I love the 450 Rigby and it would be my choice.
A full-throttle 450 Rigby is a real stomper.

Yes based on 416 Rigby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.