Copper bullets

I did measure the bullets can't remember exact numbers but body of the bullet is .366 and top of bands is .376 or .378 can't remember off hand.

View attachment 180126 The drive bands on a GS Custom are nothing like groves on a Barns bullet I know I posted this pic earlier but if they are close in the thread it will be easier to compare the bands fill in the rifleing groves but the lands barely touch the body. Notice lack of rifleing marks on body.
Shawn

precisely. Barnes are conventional bullets that are groove diameter. GSC bands are groove diameter and the bullet is land diameter. Way less friction, you can according to GSC drive a bullet through the barrel with a wooden dowel

I have not got that brave yet I know that they recommend hotter powder than usual and even in a cartridge as small as my 22-250 they recommend magnum primer which is hard to believe.
Shawn

I have not got that brave yet I know that they recommend hotter powder than usual and even in a cartridge as small as my 22-250 they recommend magnum primer which is hard to believe.
Shawn

Just guessing but if it takes less force to move the projectile then to get the pressure up you would need a faster powder, the magnum primer would aid igniting the charge more quickly. I'm no expert but this is all I can think of.

Just guessing but if it takes less force to move the projectile then to get the pressure up you would need a faster powder, the magnum primer would aid igniting the charge more quickly. I'm no expert but this is all I can think of.
This makes more sense. Without a pressure build up there is not a lot of velocity. Once the rifling has been engraved, it takes very little pressure to continue to move the bullet down the barrel. This is why a large percentage of your velocity is gained in the first few inches of barrel. That is where the pressure builds as the bullet is engraved, then drops drastically shortly afterward. Even the slowest powder has all been consumed by the time the bullet is maybe 12 inches down the barrel, so no more pressure is being gained. with drive bands, if the pressure never gets that high, then a faster powder is needed to gain the velocity.

This makes more sense. Without a pressure build up there is not a lot of velocity. Once the rifling has been engraved, it takes very little pressure to continue to move the bullet down the barrel. This is why a large percentage of your velocity is gained in the first few inches of barrel. That is where the pressure builds as the bullet is engraved, then drops drastically shortly afterward. Even the slowest powder has all been consumed by the time the bullet is maybe 12 inches down the barrel, so no more pressure is being gained. with drive bands, if the pressure never gets that high, then a faster powder is needed to gain the velocity.

It's saying the same thing, but I think of it as less friction between the barrel and bullet. Less friction means of course the bullet will move that much more easily, behaving like a lighter bullet in the same caliber. Typically, though not always, lighter bullets go with faster burning powders and vice versa.

Yes that is exactly how they explain it on the website. GS Custom loading procedure is a little different move up slowly until you reach a given max speed adjusted for barrel length.
Then adjust grouping by col. I started by seating bullet until it feed well out of magazine shot them for group and in both cases left dies set there.

I will add that the 22-250 was sighted in with 55gr cup and core when shot first GS Custom it landed off the target windage was dead on just about a foot high.
The 375 Ruger was sighted with 300gr round nose it put first GS Custom 8-9" high 1" to the right.
Shawn

With copper unless you have fast twist for caliber you need lighter bullet to stableize.

The twist rate of a Swedish Mauser is 1/7.8 inches. That is faster than what is used in most "modern" rifles.

I am going to check out GS Custom bullets to see what they have to offer in 6.5.

Years ago, right after the Barnes original X bullet came out, I tried some. Whew- stinko! no accuracy, extreme copper fouling plus unpredictable high pressure excursions. Fast forward many years to the banded TXS bullet. I've had excellent luck with the TSX- predictable pressures, very accurate plus good performance on tough game. I also have some experience with the GS solids and the North Fork Cup Point solids on game. Just like the banded TSX- both have proven to be very predictable and accurate with excellent performance on game. I have been very impressed with the NF Cup Point solid. There are any number of other copper bullets out there but have no experience with them.

Well this year I finally got a shot at game it was a long shot for a 375 ruger and required a little hold over I did not have a range finder nor did I have a drop chart what I did have was a deer in the middle of a valley in the middle of a open field when the first shot broke the deer froze not knowing which way to go. So it stood there trying to figure out what to do.
The hit was center of shoulder both up and down and front to back the deer was quartering away and exited center of brisket taking half a lung out. The range after I went home and got my sons range finder was way further than what I had estimated. I figured 300-350 yards turned out to be 427. Way further than I should have shot. But if it was going to stand there I just raised the shot and tried again.
200gr GS Customs bullet left a 4” exit wound.
Shawn

I totally agree with you, a 427 yd. shot with a 375 Ruger is "stretching" the barrel some. Sometimes a guy just gets lucky. BTW nice shooting.

Skill is great, but luck always seems to be on top. Great shot!

I have used factory (Norma Kalahari) copper ammo on White-tail, they worked just fine.

I use the Barnes vortex 225 gr in my .338 with great success on elk ,mule deer and african plains game and one unsuspecting coyote that had the misfortune of standing skylighted on a ridgetop last weekend !

Well this experience has taught me that I need a range finder and a bullet drop chart.
Have the chart and I hope Christmas will solve the range finder problem. According to my drop chart that bullet was down under 2000fps and still performed great but it makes me wonder what it will do at 50 yards.
Shawn

Thanks guys on the complements on the shot I did have a good shooting position prone with my seat cushion under the front of the rifle it was rock solid. My setup is very budget minded
Mossberg Patriot with a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 in Talley Lightweight rings the rifle is a tack driver out of the box. Don’t worry guys this setup got me into bigger bores I’m currently building myself a 404 Jeffery on a 98 action to fill the classic rifle rule.
Shawn
I was also very lucky but don’t tell anyone.

I'm not sure where you live and whether or not ammo can be shipped to you. If you're only buying from a local store, I would be sure to find ammo that's either normally available or something that you can buy in bulk when you see it. Even if ammo can be shipped, I would prefer a load that is available year round as opposed to a once a year run.

I would like Federal / Sierra Game Kings for my 308, but you can't always find them. I've moved on...

I’m in the tropics in Australia.
Thanks to everyone for their advice. This is greatly appreciated.
Once again, many thanks.

I use the Barnes TSX in the following:
338 Win Mag, 225 grain
375 Ruger, 270 grain -- the same will be used in 375 H&H
416 Ruger, 350 grain -- the same will be used in the 416 Rem
I have used them on moose and they are the only bullet that I presently use. I have considered trying other bullets, but thus far find no reason to complicate things. I have been more than pleased with their killing performance and accuracy.
I do have the tipped versions of the same weight, that I will eventually load for the 338 & 416's.

A little update my sons 22-250 has accounted for six deer in two years. The GS Customs 40gr HV has passed through all 6 including 1 hitting the on side shoulder and one in both shoulders which caused a good bit of meat damage do to bone chips from shoulder and ribs. I was hesitant at first but after seeing what that little bullet has been doing I think it’s working well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!