Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I have never had any experience using copper bullets. I was wondering if you could enlighten me?
I use mainly a 270 300 w m and 338 w m

I started using barnes ttsx 3 years ago and love them now for all my hunting. I still use some swift a - frame to but slowly going to all ttsx as they just work so well.

If your gun likes them have no fear hunting with them at all.

My Remington 30-06 shoots factory Barnes 150gr TTSX 3 in 7/16"@100m. My 375 H&H MRC shoots factory Barnes 300gr TSX 3 in 5/8"@100m. A 250gr Barnes TTSX handloads 3 in 1/2"@100 m. My 300WM Tikka shoots 165gr Barnes TTSX handloads 3 in <7/8"@100m so far. I need to play more with the COAL I think to get it tighter.

Last edited:
Great success with the 168gr inTTSX in the 30.06.... 15+ Africa PG. from springbok to Eland.....

I have never had any experience using copper bullets. I was wondering if you could enlighten me?
I use mainly a 270 300 w m and 338 w m

Are you a hand loader?

So here is my take on copper bullets, and my own rule of thumb... I shoot both TTSX and Nosler partitions in different rifles.
If the muzzle velocity of rifle is above 2500 fps then Copper Bullets will work well and allow them to expand.
If muzzle velocity is below 2500 then use cup and core style bullets like Partitions or A Frames to ensure that the bullet does its job.

The calibers you mentioned all have a standard muzzle velocity in excess of 2600fps so in my opinion you will be happy with the performance of solid copper bullets.
I have used TTSX bullets in my 338wm with very good success and I expect that you will also.

I agree with Mekaniks's analogy on the higher velocity threshold being safer for harder than lead expanding bullets vs lower velocity threshold being adequate for lead core bullets.

(However, it would have taken me 5 pages to say what he did in 2 paragraphs).

Was
Don't shoot enough to bother

Thank you all for your advice
This is very much appreciated
Using factory loaded ammo these days as I don't do enough shooting to be bothered w hand loading

I have not tried factory loads with copper projectiles. Perhaps someone can share their experiences on that front.

Thank you all for your advice
This is very much appreciated
Using factory loaded ammo these days as I don't do enough shooting to be bothered w hand loading

Well if you still have your equipment, you could give Peregrine bullets a try. Softer copper, less fouling, very accurate.

So here is my take on copper bullets, and my own rule of thumb... I shoot both TTSX and Nosler partitions in different rifles.
If the muzzle velocity of rifle is above 2500 fps then Copper Bullets will work well and allow them to expand.
If muzzle velocity is below 2500 then use cup and core style bullets like Partitions or A Frames to ensure that the bullet does its job.

The calibers you mentioned all have a standard muzzle velocity in excess of 2600fps so in my opinion you will be happy with the performance of solid copper bullets.
I have used TTSX bullets in my 338wm with very good success and I expect that you will also.

That is a very good & interesting observation. Great intel. Thx!

I'm not sure where you live and whether or not ammo can be shipped to you. If you're only buying from a local store, I would be sure to find ammo that's either normally available or something that you can buy in bulk when you see it. Even if ammo can be shipped, I would prefer a load that is available year round as opposed to a once a year run.

I would like Federal / Sierra Game Kings for my 308, but you can't always find them. I've moved on...

The Barnes factory stuff shoot excellent.
Use 150gr TTSX in the 300WM and 185gr TTSX in the 338WM. That is what I use. Remember that the Barnes bullet works like a lead core bullet 30% heavier so select a lighter Barnes bullet that what you normally shoot. The also work better (terminal performance) and tend to be more accurate for some reason the faster you push them. So the Barnes 150gr will be like a lead core which weights 195grs. The 185Barnes is like a 241gr lead core bullet.

There are some characteristics not mentioned. there are copper jackets, as compared to copper/tin/zinc. the all copper jackets tend to scrub off material in the bore so tend to foul the bore more than the alloys, but they tend to bend rather than split on impact, so they generally have better terminal performance- yielding classic mushroom shapes. the old Barnes .049" jackets were good examples of this, except that the core wasn't bonded, so at some point the core would separate from the jacket- in most situations the separation occurred after the bullet had delivered a killing wound so wasn't an issue- but was sufficient to lead Bill Steigers to develop his Bitterroot Bonded Core bullets, which are the model that Jack Carter copied for his Trophy Bonded, and then by other makers.

For monometal the same holds true with regard to bending rather than splitting, however the pressure is affected. A lead core allows some distortion due to the bullets contact with rifling which doesn't happen with an all copper/alloy bullet. the initial Barnes X bullets had a reputation for higher pressures due to the non-compressability. This issue was addressed even back with the Nosler Partition where the partition portion of the bullet was turned down to bore diameter. the current solution is to have bands cut into the bearing portion of the bullet so that there is space for the metal to push into when the rifling displaces it.

There has been a great deal of research into reducing the detrimental aspects of the monometal bullets in internal, external and terminal ballistics and has been noted above by several, this research has paid off- which appears to be a good thing, considering the political environment regarding the banning the use of lead in any form and for any purpose.

shot the barnes in vortex - used 180 grain in 300 win mag and it did the job well on pg. very tight group at the range as well. shot the hornady gmx in 250 gr for 375 h&h. equally as effective, but not quite as good on the range.

+1 on the peregrine. Barnes isn't the only kid on the block anymore- and they have been surpassed

Just an FYI, I have heard/read Barnes bullets are equal to anywhere from 15% to 30% heavier bullets. I emailed this to their customer service and the way he stated it was...
"Testing has shown our all copper bullets give 28% greater penetration characteristics compared to the best bonded and partition style bullets (containing primarily lead) on the market today. It used to be on our web site but we changed it for smart phones and much of the technical information went by the wayside... Sorry."
My interpretation of this is strictly penetration and has nothing to do with bullet weight. You still need to pick the bullet size to match the game. Thick heavy bone game such as Cape buffalo, should still use the heavier, deeper penetrating bullet, while more delicate game such as Impala, need the lighter, faster expanding bullet. JMO which might be worth a beer in a bar full of neophytes.

The hornady GMX was no bueno.... results/groups were excellent. However, at those speeds.... their recipe, it was melting in the barrel. It was fine for breaking in barrel since I was cleaning after every shot. But the Gliding Metal seem to foul/melt in tube. 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross