Christmas Special - The Crocodile Which Made Me Appreciate Hand Loading

I will relate 1 such incident in a future article on the 28th and when you read it , perhaps you can help me understand if what happened , was caused by increased pressures .
I’m looking forward to it!
Best of luck to you and Kawshik on your hunt!
And a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to you both!

Fascinating story! Thank you for posting this. I’m sure you helped to provide closure to the girl’s family.

What would you equate the power of your hand loaded cartridge to today?

Was the crocodile later eaten?

good luck on your hunt! And Merry Christmas!
I am immensely glad that you have enjoyed the story , Tra3 . I would like to think that some form of closure did find it's way to the poor girl's family . Unfortunately , retribution cannot replace a loved 1 , although it does bring a little peace .
In regards to the meat of the crocodile ,
Oh yes . Crocodile meat is very lean and takes to subtle marinades very well ( l even have a few recipes for them ) . It has the consistency of a breast of chicken .
Local villagers used to love crocodile meat back in those days .

In regards to the hand loaded cartridges , they had much higher velocity and better penetration than the original Eley Grand Prix 2.5 inch Spherical Ball cartridges which had a low charge of powder .
However , compared to a modern Brenekke Black Magic Slug , the penetration would be comparatively low , because the shape of a Brenekke Black Magic Slug lends itself to better penetration than a spherical ball cartridge .
I use Brenekke Black Magic Slugs in my 12 calibre German semi automatic Wischo shot gun which has 3 inch chamber and uses choke tubes.
Below , l have provided a photograph taken by myself of my Wischo shot gun .
IMG_20191207_175344.jpg

I use Spherical Ball cartridges in my Belgian side by side shot gun , because the shot gun has a full choke left barrel and a modified choke right barrel.
Below , l have provided a photograph taken by myself of my Belgian shot gun and the full choke barrel.
FB_IMG_1575727188171.jpg

A spherical ball cartridge uses a 16 calibre lead ball , which is designed to go through the tightest of fully choked 12 calibre shot guns without causing damage to the chokes.
Given the time period when this shot gun was made ( 1958 or 1959 ) , l also do not want to use a Brenekke Black Magic Slug in it , because l do not want to risk causing any potential damage to my old gun due to pressures or anything . It has been giving me extremely good service , since 1959 and so l do have a bit of a sentimental attachment to it . That is why l have kept it , in such a pristine condition for all these years .

Well done on slaying the beast. I hope you and Kawshik have a good hunt and maybe make for some new memories.
Thank you so much , CBH Australia . I was actually wondering if those hand loaded cartridges would actually work on the crocodile . Fortunately , the little experiment proved to be a success.

Thanks for sharing, Merry Christmas!

Poton, I really enjoyed your retelling of this sad incident. The only good thing is, that it brought some closure to the poor girl's family. No doubt you killing this crock saved many lives. I was at a party last evening and then went to our Christmas Eve Midnight Service. While waiting for the service to start I was able to read portions of the story on my phone. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a good time hunting with Kawshik. Will the two of you be going after that man-eating Leopard he recently mentioned?

Old stories apart, Major Khan, I am sure many of us would enjoy report of mr Rahman and you from this forthcoming hunt, to get a glimpse of modern hunting in Bangladesh.

Poton, I really enjoyed your retelling of this sad incident. The only good thing is, that it brought some closure to the poor girl's family. No doubt you killing this crock saved many lives. I was at a party last evening and then went to our Christmas Eve Midnight Service. While waiting for the service to start I was able to read portions of the story on my phone. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a good time hunting with Kawshik. Will the two of you be going after that man-eating Leopard he recently mentioned?
I am glad that you have greatly enjoyed this article , Shootist43. Ah , l see that Kawshik has told you about the panther problem. Yes , there is currently a panther menacing the villages around the Khulna division . It killed 2 children and injured a village weaver so far. We may volunteer to dispatch it , if Captain Kareem Hossain Newaz does not step in , to dispatch it . Amongst all of us , he is the best as he has dispatched 81 of these brutes so far.

Old stories apart, Major Khan, I am sure many of us would enjoy report of mr Rahman and you from this forthcoming hunt, to get a glimpse of modern hunting in Bangladesh.
Consider it done , Mark Hunter. I will also write an article about the hog deer shikar which will take place on the 27th. I was under the impression that forum members here would enjoy the stories involving dangerous game more. However , l was clearly mistaken.

Last edited:

In regards to the hand loaded cartridges , they had much higher velocity and better penetration than the original Eley Grand Prix 2.5 inch Spherical Ball cartridges which had a low charge of powder .
However , compared to a modern Brenekke Black Magic Slug , the penetration would be comparatively low , because the shape of a Brenekke Black Magic Slug lends itself to better penetration than a spherical ball cartridge .
I use Brenekke Black Magic Slugs in my 12 calibre German semi automatic Wischo shot gun which has 3 inch chamber and uses choke tubes.
I don''t have any numbers in front of me now but I'm sure a Brenneke slug is also much heavier than a round ball.

Recently, I've mainly been reloading handgun cartridges. There, even the type of bullet will affect pressures. A jacketed bullet of the same diameter, shape and weight tends to give higher pressures with the same charge, than a lead or copper plated lead bullet.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Enjoyed the story once again. All the best for the New Year.

I don''t have any numbers in front of me now but I'm sure a Brenneke slug is also much heavier than a round ball.

Recently, I've mainly been reloading handgun cartridges. There, even the type of bullet will affect pressures. A jacketed bullet of the same diameter, shape and weight tends to give higher pressures with the same charge, than a lead or copper plated lead bullet.
The spherical ball bullets which l would use would weigh exactly 1 ounce , Perttime. You are 100 % correct. A Brenekke Black Magic Slug definitely weighs over 1 ounce.
I ( and my shot gun ) must have been extremely lucky that neither the shot gun , nor l were harmed in any way , when l started loading the 3 inch Eley Gas Tight cartridges with spherical ball bullets from the 2.5 inch Eley Grand Prix cartridges

Glad you got the croc. Some closure for the family. Also I'm sure it kept many others from dying. You have had some great adventures in your life. Thanks for sharing. Good luck on your upcoming hunt.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross