Cape Town hotel and sights

autofire

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia(3), RSA-Limpopo (1), East Cape (2), Botswana(3)
I'm heading to Botswana for a DG hunt in May 2024. Looking to add a side trip to Cape Town. Any recommendations for hotel (waterfront district) or tour guides would be greatly appreciated.

The Westin on the waterfront is excellent. Great service. Excellent breakfast. Nice rooms.

Great choice Cape Town is a beautiful place. I stayed at the one & only hotel in Cape Town. Not sure if your into wine but we booked a tour from the hotel and the country was breathtaking. Wine and food were top notch. I was not able to make it but they have great offshore fishing.

Was there in July. The Raddison Blu was an excellent hotel, wonderful service, and clean rooms (and a glass of Sherry at check in). It's right on the ocean with a nice little restaurant/Cafe on the water. You can get a safe ride there to wherever you'd like to go, the concierge will assist. They also have shuttles to the mall.

The Butcher shop and grill is the BEST restaurant, IMO and not far from the hotel. You need to try the Oxtail. One of the best meals I've had at a restaurant.

Table mountain for sure, lots of tourists, but worth doing.

Get a 1/2 day taxi and check out the penguins at Boulder Beach. Cutest little buggers, then down to Cape point.

There's also a trinket market not too far from the hotel with tons of folks selling their wares.

Just my experience, have fun!!!

Waterfront: Table Bay Hotel (I've stayed here, excellent) Victoria & Alfred Hotel (gets great reviews, max 2 to a room, gets too expensive fast with a family). Assuming its summer there, but it's not in the waterfront area: The Bay.

Uber works great in Cape Town.

Cape Town is my favorite city of the 49 countries I've been too.

I hate cities, but I love Cape Town.

The waterfronts, the beaches, the scenery, the atmosphere.

It will be hard to do anything or go anywhere and not enjoy it. Have fun.

I stayed in some youth hostel, but it was in 2006...so definitely take hotel advice from others.

I'm heading to Botswana for a DG hunt in May 2024. Looking to add a side trip to Cape Town. Any recommendations for hotel (waterfront district) or tour guides would be greatly appreciated.

Send me an email
Stuart@tallyho.co.za

Will point you to a good tour operator in cape town

Contact Joe at Cape Town Hunting Safaris. He is a PH and tour guide in Cape Town, and usually has a booth at DSC.
We decided to spend a few days there on our first trip to SA and booking with him was hands down the best decision we could have made. Table mountain, wine region, Cape Points, penguins, good restaurants, he can even set up some wing shooting or a day hunt for plains game.
We stayed at the Commodore which was nice and right in the middle of tons or restaurants, shops, and things to do on the waterfront.

Plenty of good accommodation close to the V&A waterfront which is a beautiful area with heaps of shopping and restaurants within a short walk. You can book plenty of tourist things here too including Robbin Island day tours.

Table Mountain is awesome and the cable cars are a must. A day trip down to Cape of Good Hope is well worth it. We love Cape Town, been twice and will go again.

+27 (84) 595-3605

Faiez Levy.

Excellent guide and driver. Recommended to us by Steve Turner with TWG. Very reasonable. We used him 3 days. He knows everyone and every place it seems.

My experience there is about a decade old, but I spent a week bumming around Cape Town. I really enjoyed the robben island tour and learned a lot there. The hike up table mountain was also great. Touring the wine country around Stellenbosh if you imbibe is always great. Going down to the cape of good hope was a cool experience. Technically not the southern most point on the continent but it’s close enough for me. Lastly a friend to me for a day of sipping beers and eating seafood at Hout Bay. It’s on the backside of table mountain. Don’t even remember what all I had just that the sun, scenery and cold ocean breeze with that food was fantastic.

We loved Cape Town. We actually stayed at the Coopmanhaus in Stellenbosch. I don’t know how smart it was, but we rented a car and drove through wine country, down to the cape, a stop for the penguins, etc.. There is a now closed hotel down that way with a brass plaque listing all the famous Antarctic explorers who stayed there. If you are driving, be sure to have a meal at Boschendal. Everything they serve is grown on the estate. Also not to be missed is lunch at the Postcard Cafe at Starke Conde Vineyard.

Lots of good hotels in the waterfront area. Something to note, the Cape Town area has it's own micro climate. While May-Aug is a good, dry time to hunt much of RSA, that is the rainy season for Cape Town. Not that they get a huge amount of rain though.

This is the report I did on a Cape Town visit a few years back:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillK

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.