Cape buffalo hunt with a heart condition?

Norhunter

Reaction score
Hunted
RSA, Norway
Hi there,

I have been to Africa once and I eager to return as soon as possible. Back in 2009 I visited the Eastern Cape for some plains game hunting. A year later twins arrived and I was stuck in the family situation. Anyway, I could really use some advice from locals and more experienced Africa hunters, since I now would like to try some big game hunting. My only problem is that I have a heart condition, and my physician have advised me to avoid sub-tropical areas with malaria. As far as I understand, that excludes Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia (Caprivi strip) and Tanzania. I am interested in the Cape buffalo but a non-trophy elephant (Tuscless, non-exportable or PAC) could also be of interest. I found some outfitters in RSA outside malaria area, but I would really love to hunt in a non-fenced area. What alternatives are there, if any?

As a backup I have the option of going to the NT Australia, but that's not a Cape buffalo.

I really appreciate any advice.

If you are willing to take a slight risk, even though they are technically malaria areas, some of areas inside that zone have an very low chance of getting malaria during winter months. My PH in the caprivi lived there year round for a while and said he never got it and none of the camp staff ever got it. Might be worth investigating if there are areas you think you can safely visit to get the hunt you want.

Hi there
Pm sent

Why would you even ask?

Look at the answers you are getting... "I'm not sure"......."there's a very low chance"....so with these same answers let me give you rendition..

Hey Norwegian...."there is a very low chance " that if you don't listen to you doctor that you will live to a ripe old age.

"I'm not sure" , but if this is how you make up your mind on how to protect your health that you will live even long enough to survive the virus that is killing people right now.

straighten up.

not what you want to hear,BUT,id listen to my doctor.

Why would you even ask?

Look at the answers you are getting... "I'm not sure"......."there's a very low chance"....so with these same answers let me give you rendition..

Hey Norwegian...."there is a very low chance " that if you don't listen to you doctor that you will live to a ripe old age.

"I'm not sure" , but if this is how you make up your mind on how to protect your health that you will live even long enough to survive the virus that is killing people right now.

straighten up.
The man has one safari to Africa and asked a legitimate question you should try to be helpful instead of being a troll.

The man has one safari to Africa and asked a legitimate question you should try to be helpful instead of being a troll.

A half assed answer like the two that man was given by people who are not health care professionals like his doctor are not helping him at all.

Find out the meaning of the word "troll" before you start throwing it around.......like you do with medical advice.

Interesting question. Make sure you google malaria maps for countries that have cape buffalo. Off hand, I can think of the following that should fit your needs:

You could fly into Windhoek and hunt the Waterberg plateau for buffalo and never be in a malarial zone. I don't know an outfitter that hunts there but there are Namibian outfitters on AH. If you pm them, they can probably help you out, or point you in the right direction.

Look at a Tanzania malaria map closely. You could fly into Arusha and possibly get to a buffalo hunting area without being in a malaria zone. I don't know the northern areas good enough to help, but it has a chance at being an option.

Flying into Johannesburg, there should be multiple outfitters you could hunt with and stay out of a malaria zone, but you will probably be dealing with a fence.

All the best in finding something that works for you.

Hello @Norhunter ,
Heart conditions are certainly no laughing matter. Smart of you to give careful consideration to all options and make informed decisions.
Because I know nothing about your condition I have a question or two. Has your doctor suggested you avoid malaria areas because your existing condition makes it unwise for you to take a malaria preventative such as Malarone? Or is it because there is still a small risk of infection even when taking a malaria med?
The answer to those questions may help with risk analysis. If you are unable to take malaria meds at all then I would be very cautious in your choices. If you can take a malaria med such as Malarone it would seem your risk factor may be exponentially lower. Many areas in Zimbabwe, Namibia and other countries have malaria, but in the winter months it may be almost non-existent and pose a very low risk factor even when not taking malaria medication. If you are taking a malaria med and hunting in the winter months in those areas you may find the risk level is extremely low even for someone with a heart condition.
Only you can decide what amount of risk is acceptable for you. Best wishes with your research!

Hello Norhunter.

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) If you go to the Eastern Cape in the southern part of South Africa, you can rest absolutely certain that there is no malaria. The altitude is generally too high and the latitude is too low. This is mosquito free country during hunting (i.e. winter) season. Some Eastern Cape hunting properties offer Cape Buffalo. Huntershill do.

2) Perimeter high fencing is a legal requirement for the public to be protected from dangerous game, and for land owners to retain ownership of the game in South Africa. Therefore ALL private property hunting opportunities in South Africa, especially those including buffalo, are high fenced. Now, what does this mean for hunting?
  • At one end of the spectrum, if you hunt a 2,000 acres property, you can be reasonably certain that by day 3 of the hunt you will know every rock on the property, and that the chances of hunting a reasonably wild breeding herd are extremely low...
  • At the other end of the spectrum, if you hunt a 20,000+ acres property, you can be reasonably certain that you will hunt a breeding herd; that your hunt will not be really constrained by the perimeter fence; and that animals will have as close to a natural life and be as wild as can be expected outside of million acres wildernesses.
But if your expectation is an "Out of Africa" 1910's, or Bob Ruark 1950's tented safari, hunting wild buffalo herds still preyed upon by wild lions in million acres of wilderness, realistically South Africa is not for you.

This does not mean that there are not true, great buffalo hunts in South Africa, mind you, this just means that you will likely hunt buffalo in a fenced property in South Africa, but if it is large enough, it really does not matter much. For example, we hunt dugga boy buffalo 0n a 55,000 acres mountain at Huntershill, and it can be as wild as people can dream, but we can also tame the physical side of it to make it compatible with your condition.

I am not sure if there is elephant hunting opportunities outside the malaria zone, even in South Africa. There is elephant hunting in South Africa, but it is typically in the north-eastern part of the Country (Limpopo, Mpumalanga's lowveld), which is classified as a malaria area by CDC.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, the likelihood of exposure to Malaria is dependent on the season and there are maps that show this. It is also dependent on altitude with (if I remember correctly) 3000 feet and below being susceptible to Malaria. However, starting at about that altitude the mosquito that carries Dengue fever starts showing up. So research all the diseases because I suspect your doctor won't want you to get Dengue either.

Having said that, my wife and I spent several weeks just inside the "mapped boundary for Malaria" and never had a problem. We did take the preventative with us and used it. But, I think we'd have been fine even without it. All the outfitters and local governments are aware of the disease issues and work to keep the diseases at bay so that hunters & tourists will come and spend their money. Most doctors are not that familiar with tropical diseases. Do your homework on disease then have a lengthy discussion with your doctor.

Malaria free in Australia.
The big stress here would be the heat and humidity.
If going after Australian buffalo I suggest hunt say June to august when it is relatively cool (note the relatively bit).
If hunting either Africa or Australia I suggest you advise the outfitter and then they can select a much easier hunt.
I also suggest you check with your health and medical evacuation Insurer(s) to know where you stand in case you require hospitalization etc.
I also suggest you do not “lie” either. Please do not take offence here but if something happened you may not be covered and/or you may end up with a horrendous bill.
Australians have a fantastic medical system and offer world class medical devices.
Note in the NT that distances are incredible and in many cases you are a mighty long long way from medical help.
If in doubt about malaria chose a non malaria area rather than risking it.
I hope this helps.
Heart condition - did you do a stress test etc??

As far as I understand, that excludes Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia (Caprivi strip) and Tanzania.

The final word may be only from your doctor. But consider that in South Africa, only part of the season is malarial season, and in part of country only.
So my suggestion is: check if you can hunt South africa, in non malaraial area, during non malarial season.
Then check climate conditons for the place and time of hunt, in some places the climate is continental with cold night (no bugs, mosquitos, etc).
Once you collect all information, speak with your doctor, and if approved, go. But in my view you have a chance to get that buffalo.

Photo below is from following link:
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-hunting-information.14223/#post-117029

hunting-south-africa.gif

africa-malaria-map.gif

Attachments

• africa-malaria-map.gif
    africa-malaria-map.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 120
  • hunting-south-africa.gif
    hunting-south-africa.gif
    64.1 KB · Views: 155
Sorry to hear of your heart condition and after reading all the comments I recommended that you go to NT Australia to be on the safe side .. I doubt you’ll find a tuskless elephant in any area that is malaria free or a free range wild buffalo .. all the best and hope you find what you looking for ...

Norhunt........interesting alternative mentioned by Dr Ray........Water buff (or banteng?) in Northern Australia, and a return trip to a malaria free area in Africa.....like Southern Namibia. Australia wasn't always malaria free, but it is now......good idea........FWB

A half assed answer like the two that man was given by people who are not health care professionals like his doctor are not helping him at all.

Find out the meaning of the word "troll" before you start throwing it around.......like you do with medical advice.

Listen asshole....I linked Jacques to my post so he could confirm whether his area was malaria free or not....it's called giving the op options...simple.... You have just earned yourself the privilege of being the first person on here I have blocked...congratulations :D Beers:

Jeg ville tatt en prat med en lege som driver med reise og tropemedisin.

Good Day Norhunter

Please consider Tsala Hunting Safaris for your Cape buffalo.We are approximately 2 hours north of Johannesburg Int airport in the malaria free Waterberg region of Limpopo_Our property is close to 10 000 acres with varied terrein.We have sustainable herds of buffalo and other African antilope as well as Hippo and Crocodile.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.Please stay safe.

Regards

Rouan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg