Cape Buffalo Cartridge?

Have shot many buff with 375 H & H and also plenty of PG... no better all round AFRICA calibre.
Use the BEST PREMIUM ammo...

My .404 performed very well on the buffalo I took in Zim this year. I used a 400 gr Barnes TSX bullet loaded by Superior Ammunition. Recoil for the .404 Jeffery feels the same to me as my .416 Remington. Recoil for both is definitely more than my .375 H&H but still not excessive and easily tolerated with practice. I would suggest range time with a .404 or .416 to confirm that you can shoot it well. If you can't shoot it as accurately as a .375 then you should go with your .375. With good ammo such as Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame. the .375 is still a great caliber.

So im planning on going on a dream Cape buffalo hunt. My trouble is picking out a rifle and cartridge suitable for Cape Buffalo that i like. I really like the .416 calibers. I have heard good reviews about Cz550 safari in .416 rigby but for some reason i just keep seeing Weatherby rifles and just want one so bad. I hear the quality is good and they're a very good rifle over all. So then I was looking at the .378 Weatherby Magnum and the .416 Weatherby Magnum. Both are said to be good for Cape Buffalo but is all that 6000ft lbs of energy in .416 Weatherby really worth it? I also wish to reload and that weatherby ammo is kinda pricey with the brass and reloading dies. I saw a weatherby mark v rifle in .416 remington and figured that seems good for Cape Buffalo; Good amount of ft lbs and good priced ammo. So my real question is, which should I pick??? Keep in mind I wish to reload.

Aloha Joseph. I have been to Africa to hunt plains game and am looking forward to tackle the Cape Buffalo after I retired in 2017. That being said I purchased a CZ 550 safari magnum in 416. Rigby several years ago (it just looks like and speaks of Africa of long ago) and have begun practicing weekly at the local range. The 416. Rigby in 400 grain with the Swift A Frame is spoken of along with numerous other bullets and calibers. You wont go wrong with any of these suggestions offered up by the Guardians of the Galaxy. These guys have been there and done that and most speak with/from experience. The key is to get your rifle and rounds then practice, practice, practice. My friend has been reloading for me using Hornady DGS bullets in 400 grain weight and loading up to the same pressures as the Federal Premium Dangerous Game rounds ($185 for 20 rounds) Reloading and practicing with less expensive round combinations will be cheaper in the long run. Just make sure that you expend several rounds of the primo stuff before you leave for Africa to make sure that it hits the same or as close as comfortable as your practice rounds. It has been mentioned and I will second it. If you decide to scope your DG rifle use QD mounts and once you get it dialed in then leave the lead sled at home. You wont have it to lug around in the field so no sense practice with it. I'm 6-2, 290 and off of the bench rest at our local gun range I could barely keep ahold of the rifle. Trial and Error plus advice on the website from the GOG and now the recoil is not that bad. Also if you choose to use the 416 remember the golden rules. Basically don't shoot off of the bench. I learned that the hard way. Study the shot placement placards, shoot off of sticks and get in shape, pay attention to your PH, stay away from people that suggest you fit your rifle with a compensator/suppressor or anything similar. Be a man. That's why you're are going to Africa to take on the Cape Buffalo right?

Hello Joseph 61.
One of my friend is just back from Zambia and he shot a nice old cape buffalo with his new R8 blazer 300 WM, 1 shot....

watermark.php

A few years ago he shot one in Zimbabwe with 7x57 !!! But he shot already 50 buffs. My advice is to use at least a 375HH like this girl on her frist safari.

watermark.php

She shot 3 buffs, each one with one shot in the shoulder. You can also use a 404 Jeffery (excellent killing caliber), 416 Rigby, 458 WM and 378 W. But you should shoot close and be confortable with your rifle, don't be scared of the recoil.
Enjoy you Buffalo hunt.
christophe
Personally, I believe it is very irresponsible to shoot buffalo with a 300WM and even more so with a 7x57... REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY BUFFALO YOU HAVE HUNTED BEFORE!!
Why would a licensed PH allow this to happen??

Last edited by a moderator:
My hunting buddy shot a cape buffalo with a Mauser in .308Win. in Tanz in the nineties, neckshot, went straight down....no backup..

But he is the first one to admit that it was bordering on being reckless...no backup either..

Remember that old saying that probably more game and men, both good and bad has been killed with the 44-40. Well, I think that this is no longer the case, this title would now most likely go to the 7.62x39.

So im planning on going on a dream Cape buffalo hunt. My trouble is picking out a rifle and cartridge suitable for Cape Buffalo that i like. I really like the .416 calibers. I have heard good reviews about Cz550 safari in .416 rigby but for some reason i just keep seeing Weatherby rifles and just want one so bad. I hear the quality is good and they're a very good rifle over all. So then I was looking at the .378 Weatherby Magnum and the .416 Weatherby Magnum. Both are said to be good for Cape Buffalo but is all that 6000ft lbs of energy in .416 Weatherby really worth it? I also wish to reload and that weatherby ammo is kinda pricey with the brass and reloading dies. I saw a weatherby mark v rifle in .416 remington and figured that seems good for Cape Buffalo; Good amount of ft lbs and good priced ammo. So my real question is, which should I pick??? Keep in mind I wish to reload.
Joseph,
Buy the Weatherby in 416 rem mag and never look back! It is big enough for anything walking the Earth and won't beat you up like those nasty Weatherby magnums. As you noted the ammo is cheap and available.

Personally I'm not a Weatherby fan, but as you mentioned you like them, that is the answer for you so go for it!

View attachment 8940

This 44 inch daga boy was taken by me last week in Zimbabwe and the .375 H&H barnes X bullet exited the other side. They are relativley soft skinned for a big animal. He made it less than 40 yards before collapsing. Single shot placement taking both lungs and severing the arteries connecting the heart.

A .375 H&H (as mentioned by many others) is plenty of gun for a cape buffalo with good shot placement. This calibre with the lower recoil is going to be much more comfortable if you have not shot big bore rifles before and also extremley suitable for any plains game you encounter.

Have a great hunt
That is a magnificent Buffalo!!! 44", nice boss', wow! Great job!

Personally, I believe it is very irresponsible to shoot buffalo with a 300WM and even more so with a 7x57... REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY BUFFALO YOU HAVE HUNTED BEFORE!!
Why would a licensed PH allow this to happen??

You are right, I won't let a client shoot a buff with a smaller caliber than 375 and premium bullet. 404 is also very good and easy to handle.

That is a magnificent Buffalo!!! 44", nice boss', wow! Great job!
Panielsen, you BEAUTY!!!! A REALLY GREAT BUFF and you can be very proud... well done.
Wish I was sharing Zim oxygen with yiou rigyt now!!!

Great advise by seasoned members. Having only one safari under my belt but having many hunts to my credit, it always comes down IMO to two things, the right bullet for the job and shot placement. Period. Don't over think the caliber of rifle , hunt with a rifle ( with adequate power of course) that you can shoot best. I personally would stay away from Weatherby rifles, having owned several I find them very finicky.

I will also be hunting buffalo in 2017 and possibly hippo along with plains game I will be shooting my 375 Ruger with Swift AFrame bullets. I'm quite confident with this combo.

Thanks Marius.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,